in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-07-2010 2:07 PM by Leslie. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2010 6:50 PM

Mirror touch panel BL7000

Have been thinking if there is a way to "refurbish" the BL7000 mirror touch panel,

Surely there must be a way to remove these annoying scratches either by polishing them away or maybe a new alternative mirror plate which can be "glued" on the existing one. What effect does that have? Have tried a thin 0.5mm alum. plate on top of the existing and it still works!

Or maybe a sort of mirror looking foil, I don't know. Any ideas?

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 05-27-2010 1:00 AM In reply to

Re: Mirror touch panel BL7000

Leslie:

I haven't tried this.  But here are my thoughts.

Apple IPODs have metal backs that scratched very easily. Many IPOD owners have devised techniques and even "kits" to repolish the back.

Try googling "removing scratches from IPOD" and see what solutions are out there. Many of these guys have posted before and after pictures. They look pretty good.

See the various techniques they used. Perhaps one might work.

Derek

• 05-27-2010 5:22 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

hi

try googling

Micro Mesh

Its a product for demisting perspex aircraft canopies - its worked well on the perspex display covers on BL30000/BL5000's its also worked on the stainless panels on same to remove faint scratches although need to be careful as my first attempt left a patchy finish however more polishing sorted the prob

This is an american product although flight-store in th uk supply!"

salut

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 05-27-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

Thanks guys for your feedback. So it looks like there's not other way then (is it then or than??) polishing or can you put another plate on top of the original one like mirror foil or shiny ???? plates. Just brainstorming.... 

Beovirus? What's that?

• 05-28-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

you can replace the plate :)

• 05-28-2010 6:01 PM In reply to

And where can I get one?

Beovirus? What's that?

• 05-28-2010 6:15 PM In reply to

The last NOS panel I saw on eBay ended up costing only a little bit more than I paid for the entire remote Stick out tongue

-mika

• 05-28-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

Seen that one, more then 200 euro's....

Beovirus? What's that?

• 05-29-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

I bought mine (NOS) a few months back from user: RIDAX

Not sure he has any left... and I believe he is quite busy = may be tough to get a hold of presently.

As far as redoing them... pretty tough... it is a chromium type plating. I think you would only end up making it look worse.

My plan for my old one: I was going to try to cut/buy a circular piece of cork and turn it into a coaster! Drinks Beer

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-02-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

Small contribution from me now (instead of asking questions all the time) with pictures how to remove the touch panel.

Burantek already made some nice picture and because of his help I've tried to remove the touch panel myselfUnsure and finally did itSmile

Now let's see if it's possible to polish this panel without seeing these annoying scratches. Or maybe replacing with a chromatised plate??

Voila!Smile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-02-2010 3:53 PM In reply to

Pictures are always appreciated on Beoworld, thank you Leslie Smile

However, your "scratched" panel seems clearly better than mine. Would you like to swap for a more interesting restoration object? Laughing

-mika

• 06-02-2010 4:02 PM In reply to

That would be a challenge Hmm, but "ei kiitos" Mika!

Maybe other members will have brilliant ideas for alternatives?

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-02-2010 4:27 PM In reply to

BTW, I bought myself another one two days ago in super mint condition (no scratches/dents at all) but unfortenately the famous "no contact" issue.

I have tried all options but "no contact" remains with my BM7000.Super Angry

So, I opened the BL7000 and all capacitors were okay accept the two 22uF SMD's hiding under the metal housing. My multimeter was showing 1.2uF so that must be it!!! In all the excitement I burned with my soldering iron some of the plastic housing which can be seen on the upper orange tantalWhistle

I changed the capacitors with tantals 22uF/16V and changed the third (4.7uF ) as well (looks betterSmile).

Now the moment of truth.........................................

YES, IT WORKS! No "no contact" issue anymore!!!! Happy......

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-03-2010 3:16 PM In reply to

Next step is to find a cheap alternative for the mirror touch plate with all the anoying scratches. Found one at a local shop. Plastic 1mm plate with mirror finish 1x1m for 8.50 euro and a Piezo sensor for 0,80 euro. This is what I did:

This is how the original looks like, still okay for some but not for me! 

Step 1: Separate the mirror plate from the groundplate by using a knife as shown on the picture. Again B&O is using double-sided tape so that's easy!

This is how it looks like when separated.

Remove the rest of the tape to have a smooth surface.

Result after removing the tape.

Step 2: Solder two wires on the Piezo sensor. Make sure you have the red wire on the plus (inner ring) and the black on the - (outer ring).

Step 4: Take 3M double sided tape (thinnest you can get) and put some on the ground plate as shown on the picture.

Step 5: Take the original plate and place it backwards on top of the plastic plate (mirror finished side!

Cut the shape out of the plastic plate using a sharp stanley knife (carefull!).

Step 6: Use sandpaper to remove the sharp edges on all sides.

Step 7: Attach both plates now and use double sided tape to fix the Piezo sensor on the plastic plate as shown on the picture.

Please make sure that the soldering side of the Piezo sensor is positioned exactly as shown on the picture (watch the rounded corners and the soldering side on the left)!

Step 8: Now you can attach the PCB with your new plate by using two screws. Please note that these screws are a bit to long so use an extra washer to compensate or else you will see it through your mirror panel on the other sideSuper Angry

Step 9: Connect the red and black wire to the original spots on the PCB! Make sure you do it right (double check)!

Step 10: Put everything back in place and connect the batteries (double check again, I made that mistake once Embarrassed!

The rest of the pictures speaks for it selfs!

The original on the left!

I did two, one had a little chip of the glass panel upper left corner.

This is how I solved it!

Now I have three with beautifull mirror panelsSmile

Finally I have been using this same plate for my Beogram 3300 in  order to match with my 4500 systemWhistle Thanks! If anyone wants to have the original scratchy plates (2) he or she can have them for free!

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-03-2010 6:01 PM In reply to

Good grief, Leslie!

Looks really good! Great job! I (we) will certainly be interested to know how they hold up under use.

On another note, I have gotten a bit confused... have you ever experienced the ON/OFF syndrome w/ any of your BL7K's or just the NO CONTACT issue?

In another thread, there is recent talk of replacing the blue cap on PCB1... as seen in your pics. I have replaced my plate w/ a NOS plate from RIDAX, but still suffered the ON/OFF problem. Interestingly enough, I never had the NO CONTACT problem, yet.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-04-2010 2:53 AM In reply to

Thanks Jaff, nice to hear!

Under use these "panels" holds perfectly. I have tried a sample (the 1st one that failed because of the two screws that were a bit to long) by using a cloth and clean and polish it with the usual stuff. Stays amazingly good!!

So now I know how the touch panel is assembled, specially this cheap Piezo thing, I have asked for a quote by a local company for a polished stainless steel panel.

Let's see what comes out with that one.  

There is one BL7000 that still has an issue with the the on/off thing but I'm not sure if that's the common on/off syndrome. This on/off issue is caused because  I connected the batterie the wrong way as mentioned in another post. The fuse on PCB1 was blown so I replaced it. Now it  works perfect in the charger but as soon as it has to work on itself it has a strange behaviour, on/off, flashing and a red dot on the left and right side. Put it back in the charger and voila, back to businessSmile

Greetz, Leslie

BTW, my 2nd project is refurbishing my BL Penta 1. Displays with 2 different colors and leds. They are already finished and works and looks great! I sprayed the grey surrounding panels of the amp unit in black but I think I'm gonna change it with the mirror finished plastic plates. Keeps me busy...... 

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-04-2010 9:40 AM In reply to

Leslie:
    The fuse on PCB1 was blown so I replaced it. Now it  works perfect in the charger but as soon as it has to work on itself it has a strange behaviour, on/off, flashing and a red dot on the left and right side.

Thx Leslie... a bit disheartening that you replaced the blue cap and still had the ON/OFF problem. However, you bring up a good point about the charger... mine also works perfectly when placed in it. I will crosspost to the other thread here to follow up on the ON/OFF and keep the respective threads consistent.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-04-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

Hi Jaff,

I have not replaced the blue cap, sorry that you misunderstood me!

Did a correction on the other post regarding our discussion "BL7000 on/off issue".

I will follow and give my comments from now on the other post where this discussion belongs!

Thanks, Leslie

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-04-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

Leslie:
    I have not replaced the blue cap, sorry that you misunderstood me!

Surprise SORRY! Completely my fault...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-04-2010 1:42 PM In reply to

That's okay!

BTW, Mika (Tournedos) gave me hope since he said that measuring caps with a multimeter does not tell you everything! I will replace the blue cap as soon as I have one (680uf). Will keep you informed... 

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-05-2010 6:40 PM In reply to

Lovely thread this (lovely in the fact that is mass of lovely pictures but not so lovely to hear about your BL7000) 

@burantek this find of cap that you posted in diffrent thread, have u ruled this one out?

Found these at Mouser

In my very limited knowledge of electronics they really look very similar.......

Maybe we can talk Leslie into test them :P

Was planning tho to myself try one of them out but time is not on my best side right now hehe

Will follow this with BIG intrest

Cheers

Jesper

Sweden

• 06-06-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

Hi Jesper,

I have ordered 680uF caps. As soon as I have them I will replace it with the old one and will let you (others) know what the result is.

Leslie

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-06-2010 5:51 PM In reply to

Hi Leslie

I will hold both my thumbs for your success. On a other note, do you know the data on the piezo you used? (like impedance and frequence?).

I suspect that one of my BL7000 have a burned piezo since it doesnt react at all on motion. 

Again thanks for all the nice pictures. With thanks of Burantek and you I have even opend one of my BL7000 up and gone on a discoverytour :). 

Cheers

Jesper

• 06-07-2010 4:33 AM In reply to

That's okay Jesper, no troubles at all making these pictures.

It's a "workbench" part of this forum so there's a well known saying here in Holland "plaatjes zeggen meer als duizend woorden" litterly translated "pictures says more then a thousand words!

I don't know the Piezo specs. since a friend of mine had these in stock. I will ask him the part nr. from this site where he bought them. If you wish I can send you one sample for free and a 680uF cap just to try out? Exception only made for you and Burantek!

Jut saw that my post has been degraded from 5 to 3,5 stars. So it looks that everybody can rate a post even without giving any comments on this post? That's pretty annoying...

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-07-2010 4:43 AM In reply to

ps. Looking at the size of the Piezo it should be 20mm.

Beovirus? What's that?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >