in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-26-2010 2:04 PM by Keith Saunders. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2010 7:18 AM

New Beo 4 coming!!

Here is a translation of a Danish thread showing a new version of the Beo4. 

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.beoworld.org%2Fforums%2Ft%2F311.aspx%3FPageIndex%3D19&sl=auto&tl=en

It seems to have a track ball, like on the Blackberry's pearl.

p.

• 05-26-2010 7:30 AM In reply to

Re: New Beo 4 coming!!

As far as I was aware, it was already here, I mean the new Type 1710 version which is very much aimed for use with the Masterlink Gateway.

Regards Keith....

• 05-26-2010 7:38 AM In reply to

And no-one told me ;-)

Do you know in what way will it work better with the MLGW?

As it got the track ball like the one in the link above?

• 05-26-2010 8:56 AM In reply to

Noting that it retained the LIST button and assuming it is a track ball... perhaps the ball allows more fluid scrolling through the list(s)?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-26-2010 9:57 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I cant stand the track balls on Blackberries. Which is why I bought the Samsung Epix i907....

Go optical B&O!

Evan

• 05-26-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

evman140:

I cant stand the track balls on Blackberries. Which is why I bought the Samsung Epix i907....

Go optical B&O!

How true!!!!!!! But I heard a rumor about a Beo6. Can anyone confirm this?

Best regards

Spiros

• 05-26-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Spiros:
    evman140:

Go optical B&O!

How true!!!!!!!

Seriously though, lets not screw it up by putting moving pieces on a remote (I realize the Beo5 has a scrolling wheel). Every moving part can become an unnecessary potential failure point.

Evan

• 05-26-2010 5:10 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Biggest advantage will be easier use of set top boxes - simple "UP" / "DOWN" to change programs
    (instead of "GO" + "UP" on recent BEO4's) using the little "Joystick" to navigate in menues.     

• 05-26-2010 7:36 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Dear Gang,

Do you see anything in this new remote's button design to indicate that the new Beo 4 will operate more logically with stuff like the BV-7's Blu-Ray player - i.e. do you think things like skipping to the next chapter on a disc will involve one press of a button like on the Beo 5 remote as opposed to the series of button presses required on the current Beo 4?

Mark

Mark D
  • 05-28-2010 6:02 AM In reply to

The new Type 1710 Beo4 looks almost like the previous version, but in practice the main PCB and keypad have been changed.

With the new version you now have three (3) modes of operation which you set the Beo4 too depending on your configuration. which to a certain extent is in principle similar to the previous Audio & Video settings.

When you go to ADD items to the LIST you will now have three options being AV, LIGHT and CONTROL

Like the Beo5, we also have ZONES as below:-

• ALL Used if you have one Beo4 in each room for all your products (default setting).
    • VIDEO Used if you have more than one Beo4 in a room and you want to use it to activate both video and audio sources via your video product.
    • AUDIO Used if you have more than one Beo4 in a room and you want to use it to activate both audio and video sources via your audio product.
    • LINK Used if you have, for example, more than one television in the same room (Option 4)

One area which I am sure is going to cause all sorts of confusion is the fact that a Beovision TV has to be "Beo4 Type 1710" compatible and you will know if your TV is compatible if it has a "Beo4 Menu". If it is not, there's no problem because one of the three "MODES" effectively makes it the same as previous versions of the Beo4. In my view this is going to be a major issue for dealers who have an existing customers who purchases a Type 1710 Beo4, but then the dealer finds he also has to update the software in the TV's to make it compatible or set the new Beo4 to MODE 3

In TV's which have a "Beo4 Menu" meaning they are Beo4 (1710) compatible you can select "Navigation Button’"or "No Navigation Button". You should only select the "Navigation Button" option if you have a Beo4 (1710) If previous version Beo4 is used when "Navigation Button" is selected in the Beo4 setting menu on the TV then:-

• Step up, step down, wind and rewind has no function for menu navigation and channel operation

The three MODES are:-

• MODE 1 When a Beo4 is in MODE 1, the navigation button is used for menu operation, and menu and source operation are separated. MODE 1 should be used if all the televisions in the video setup contain the ’BEO4 SETTING’ menu and they are set to ‘NAVIGATION BUTTON’.  --  This mode is used to enable functions such as CURSOR, SELECT and BACK functionalities. If you change to MODE 1, this will not change operation of the other buttons and the LIST functions.
    • MODE 2 When a Beo4 is in MODE 2, the navigation button does not work and menu and source operation are not separated. MODE 2 should be used if one of your televisions in the video setup does not contain the ’BEO4 SETTING’ menu, or the Beo4 remote control is also used without navigation button in the video setup. This mode is defined as compatibility mode where SELECT sends PLAY command (GO), BACK sends EXIT and the Navigation button is deactivated. All other buttons are not affected by the MODE setting.
    • MODE 3 is used with the traditional IR commands which may work better in some situations e.g. in link rooms, when operating a Main room an older Beovision TV.

When this version of the Beo4 is used where certain PUC control devices are used, then the PUC may need to be updated. This is because some "Function Codes" with HEX addresses 1B and 1C have been assigned for Masterlink Gateway commands.

Interestingly, you are able to change the IR transmittered power level which will certainly please a lot of B&O dealers. Apparently the power level can be changed to 7 different levels.

Regards Keith....

• 05-28-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Keith,

When the type 1710 Beo 4 is used with a compatible TV and in set in "MODE 1", will the Beo 4 operate the disc player in a BV-7 in a more intuitive way than the current Beo 4 - i.e. can you skip back and forth amongst Blu-Ray or DVD chapters with one button press (like with the Beo 5) instead of having to hit the yellow button first?

Mark

Mark D
  • 05-28-2010 8:28 AM In reply to

Lots of info!

It's not totally clear - can you have a 1710 in the main room with a TV that supports Navigation Button (e.g. BV7 with Software 8.12a), and have an older Beo4 in a link room with a TV that doesn't?  Or do you need system-wide support for it?

Which TVs can be updated to support this?  e.g. by BV7 can, but I've no idea about the BC6-23.

Will this change Beo4 Functionality for PUCs (e.g. Sky)?  Do you just simply hit FF/RW, Up/Down to fast forward/change channel rather than needing a 'Go' first?

Might have to pop into a dealer and have a play - see if it's any good.  I'm not quite sold on a Beo5, but this sounds like it could be a good improvement.

• 05-28-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

Sounds like an anoraks delight for those that can't afford a Beo5.

Bring back the Beo1!

Regards Graham

• 05-28-2010 8:38 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Isn't the aim meant to be ease of use???Unsure

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-28-2010 9:06 AM In reply to

Sounds totally confusing to me. I saw the pictures earlier in the Danish thread, and the shuffled button layout seemed a little odd to anyone who's capable of using the old Beo4 in the dark (which is a feat in itself). Now it seems you have to dislearn everything else as well!

I never quite understood the need to do GO+x for even the most basic functions with PUC controlled 3rd party devices - the coloured buttons have never seen much use in B&O gear anyway. I have a self-built "PUC" myself and have managed to make 3rd party STB and HDR operations almost bearable with single clicks, although it took much thought. The old Beo4 simply has too few "free" buttons, but I'm not sure if the new version helps that...

-mika

• 05-28-2010 9:07 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes, but not ease of setting up....

Stefan

• 05-28-2010 12:25 PM In reply to

csmager:

Lots of info!

It's not totally clear - can you have a 1710 in the main room with a TV that supports Navigation Button (e.g. BV7 with Software 8.12a)

where can you see this in the menu? I have BV9 with 8.12a

• 05-28-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

where can you see this in the menu? I have BV9 with 8.12a

Menu | Options

There are two new items under there in 8.12a - Beo4 Setting (for 'Navigation Button') and Feature Activation (for HDMI distribution)

• 05-28-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

• 06-02-2010 2:28 PM In reply to

You may be interested to note the key differences from a user viewpoint between the Beo4 and the new Type 1710 Beo4 and I think the picture below should be helpful:-

Regards Keith....

• 06-02-2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Keith,

I hate that I'm so dense, but as no one has answered this question for me yet, would you please do so?

Will this new Beo 4 operate a DVD or Blu-Ray more intuitively on a BV-7 (i.e. will we be able to forego the dual pushing of buttons to skip chapters)?

TIA,

Mark

Mark D
  • 06-02-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

Sorry Mark, I missed your posted question..

My assessment so far appears to be "Yes" to your question subject to an update of the PUC entry for the DVD or Blu-Ray player as well.

Regards Keith....

• 06-02-2010 3:04 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

B&O should add basic functions like a backlit display and illuminated keys! :-)

• 06-02-2010 7:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

TWG:

B&O should add basic functions like a backlit display and illuminated keys! :-)

Hmmmm!   Then it will have to live on a charger!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-02-2010 8:18 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

it's about time they updated the design of this remote.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >