in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-26-2010 5:01 PM by Steffen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2010 3:00 AM

BEO 9000 Reoccurring Repairs

I have owned a 9000 for 10 years. In that time it has been to the shop 4 times. Every 2 ½ years the symptom reappears and is always the same: - the CD player will not play.

It will start to play a CD and either the disk will spin and stop, Or not spin at all and display the counter. If you dicker with it for about 5 min changing disks, using mind over matter or channeling Ramptha  it will start to play. If you let it play for 10 min. It will function normally…. Until you shut it off. Then it starts all over again.

The San Diego repair shop is honest and hard working. Two years ago they replaced the heads and the backing plate that holds the CD’s. I know to keep the glass contacts detecting interference clean. I also know to reseat the control panel behind the door. I do smoke and maintain HEPA filters for air purity.

Has anyone had a similar experience, with constant repairs? It is a pain to Box it up and lug it down to the store; much more I use the Aux function for the television system to play through the speaker system. I just do not understand why this product has to go into the shop every 2 ½ years.

I have other electronic devices, Blue Ray, Laserdisc players that are in the same service environment and they have never failed or needed to go to the shop. Is there some part, a Controller that could have been overlooked by the shop 4 times?

• 05-24-2010 3:17 AM In reply to

Re: BEO 9000 Reoccurring Repairs

I imagine this is the laser focus issue rearing its head. There is a capacitor on the laser control coard that fails in some of the 16 bit lasers and the 9000 may well have something similar. Normally a problem in the later decks - the 9000 uses the CDX2 type mechanism I believe - there are a number of threads identifying the relevant capacitor.

• 05-25-2010 8:11 AM In reply to

Peter, Et al,

Thanks for the advice.

In searching the site I found this. It makes sense as the CD Head Unit was replaced 18 month ago, and I hear sounds prior to the disk spinning, if it spins.

“The first thing the 9000 tries to do is focus the laser.  If it can't get focus it won't start.

Try cleaning the lens with a Q-tip and denatured alcohol.  If that dosen't do it you probably need a CD mech.

Search the forum for BeoSound 9000 test mode.

TM 65 runs the light pen all the way out so you can get to it”

Thus I went looking and found this sequence for BEO4 commands for entering test mode to clean the optics on my BEO9000.

Here is the sequence I found:

The Beosound 9000 must be in STDBY and if you have no speakers connected you must select Option 1. The remote must be in AUDIO so select CD on the remote.

So the routine is :-

CD, STDBY,SOUND,1,STORE,SHIFT 90258 should get the display reading TEST MODE ON

The problem is, these instructions are vague at best. So..

The first button is CD and it is found on the remote.

The BEO4 manual states that the red dot is “Standby”

“Sound” cannot be found anywhere and is not on the list to be added?????

“1” I presume is the number one on the keypad,

“Store” Does not show up on the List or the add list. (Select does but I am unsure.)

“Shift” was found and added to the list.

Presuming I can find or add these to the remote and I can get Test mode on, How do I clean the optics?

I know how to use Qtips and denatured alcohol, but how do I get the circular shield out of the way, and invoke TM 65? Does it flip out of the way? And finally how do I exit TM? Any help would be appreciated.

Douglas

• 05-25-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

I own my Bs9000 for almost 10 years now and it went to the service one time (4 years ago).

I was told by the service technican that it depends where the BS9000 is placed and how the overall environmental conditions are.

He showed the old laser unit to me and compared to the new one, the old one was really sort of "blind" and I experienced the same errors you had.

For example, the Beosound 9000 in the cigar lounge of the hotel Frankfurter Hof in Frankfurt had to be replaced almost every year due to smoke particles dusting the laser lens (Service guy told me)

The problem (besides the caps) is that the BS9000 has an open constuction and the laser lens is exposed to all stuff flying in the air (dust, particles etc.)

Best regards

Stephan

• 05-26-2010 5:01 PM In reply to

Hm -"Clever" service guy...Wink   Did he even try to clean the lens?

I once bought a non-functioning Beogram CD6500 very cheap. Then I cleaned the lens -and guess what - it worked. And it is still running

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)