in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-19-2010 4:34 PM by Bv7Mk3. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2010 4:09 PM

Going for a Projector.

Hi all

I am considering buying a projector to go along with my BV 7-40 MK IV. However, before i do so, i ned clarification on an issue.

I have a mac mini connected to my BV7 and wonder if this signal can also be sent through the projector DVI out. Or is it only the inbuilt DVB-HD and Bluray it will distribute??

TIA

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 05-23-2010 5:00 PM In reply to

• LarsH
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-23-2007
    • Uppsala, Sweden
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Re: Going for a Projector.

Hi Ehlerz!

As I have been told and understand things, any source that comes in through HDMI (A-D) or the internal BlueRay, or the DVB-HD can be distributed out through the DVI-D interface.So if you have a PlayStation 3 and want to play a racing game using the projector this can be done.

The only thing that actually happens which aint little, is that the screen on the BeoVision turns off, the the BeoSystem 3 then sets to the mode with external projector. The beauty is that all the sound equipment can be used and even that you can set it to the new parameters. For example that the projector screen is at a different location and the speakers has to be used for other roles. Front Right speaker becomes something else, etc. Haven't heard of any other brand that make such a thing.

If I am to buy a projector I will probably look at Sony, either this one or the little brother.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VPL-VW85&site=biz_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=FPJHomeCinema

Best Regards, Lars

• 05-23-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hi there

I have an Optoma HD65 connected to my BV7 MK3 and it works great.

I can send any source from the tv to the DVI output.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 05-23-2010 9:59 PM In reply to

I've got a Beosystem 3 setup, and can even run my VCR signal to my projector, as well as to the Plasma.  And my Mac Mini works great with it as well.

• 05-24-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Projectors are the surperior way to view things and the Mac Mini combo works great with them.  I have a MM at the front of my room with the sound running into my BeoSystem.  Then there's a 25 foot cable running around to the back of the room where a cable splitter divides it between a 21" LCD monitor and a Projector.  I've also got a SVideo cable running around from my Nintendo machines.

All in all, I don't know why people buy TVs really.  Even if you include the cost of replacement bulbs it works out cheaper than a TV, especially given that in a normal sized space like a living room you can turn the brightness down to the economy mode and get 4000 hours from the bulb.  Beyond that though it's a 100" screen and the true cinema experience

• 05-24-2010 4:54 PM In reply to

Calvin:

All in all, I don't know why people buy TVs really.  Even if you include the cost of replacement bulbs it works out cheaper than a TV, especially given that in a normal sized space like a living room you can turn the brightness down to the economy mode and get 4000 hours from the bulb.  Beyond that though it's a 100" screen and the true cinema experience

Simply because you just can't get black from a projector unless you darken the room completely - that remains a physical fact no matter how much light output your projector has. Not all of us want to live in a cinema all evening, but perhaps eat, read a paper, browse Beoworld, or whatever at the same time they have the TV on...

The real answer of course is to have both Smile

-mika

• 05-24-2010 7:42 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

One word - LC2.

I will admit that's not in the dictionary but you get the point.  Lighting at the control of my hand and I also live in an old building that legally doesn't allow double glazing so I naturally have thick curtains which as a biproduct block out the light.  Hence I get pretty good black.

I suppose though that if you go for that "white look" in your living room then you might not get it.  However, when I was at university we used to use a projector for video games in our somewhat sunlit room and we'd still get a far better picture than if we'd used the television - hence why we used it rather than the tv (even if it was free)

I think that if you're prepared to pay thousands for a good picture you're willing to close the curtains to get a cinema experience.  If you're only watching the news or trash tv etc, you're probably not that worried about the black

• 05-25-2010 3:21 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Seems that the cinema out of my BV 7 does everything i had hoped for so now the question is, which projector should i go for?

It need to be Full HD, silent and first of all good. My pricerange is about 4.000 us$.

I am thinking of maybe SONY VPL-HW15, anyone has any experince with this one?

I have also heard a lot of good things about Infocus´newest addition, cant remember its name though.

Thanks

/Ehlerz

• 05-25-2010 6:14 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ehlerz:

Seems that the cinema out of my BV 7 does everything i had hoped for so now the question is, which projector should i go for?

It need to be Full HD, silent and first of all good. My pricerange is about 4.000 us$.

The cinema out of the BS3/BV7-40 just opens and closes two contacts - no more, no less. You can trigger a Lintronic box with these contacts and change the timings in the customer service menu.

What about a Samsung projector? There is an SP-A800 and an SP-A600, both DLP, full HD, and (maybe) controlable via BV7 PUC. I saw an SP-A800 in a dealer`s Beoliving room and the picture was just great. The 800 is about 3500 - 3800 Euros and the 600 about 1000 Euros.

I `m using a Hitachi LCD 1280x720 projector with a no name motor screen and a Lintronic box and a relay board, because I didn`t want to spend much money on the first step. My complete cinema setup was about 1600-1700 Euros, and I`m more than satisfied with this solution. Cinema outs of the BV7 trigger the Lintronic box, which controls the screen, projector, lights, blinds via a programmed macro.

Stefan

• 05-25-2010 8:51 AM In reply to

Hi Stefan

Nice to hear your setup is working perfectly. I have considered the Samsung Projector but actually, i thought it was more like 10.000$ the one supported by B&O. As a matter of fact i was not considering limiting my purchase to directly B&O supported devices as i guess i can program my Beo5 to support almost everything now, right?

How big is your cinemaroom, stefan? I am asking because mine is just about 20 kvm, so i wont need a screen much bigger than 60" at the moment. 

/Ehlerz 

• 05-25-2010 9:53 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ehlerz:

... I have considered the Samsung Projector but actually, i thought it was more like 10.000$ the one supported by B&O. ...

I think, you are talking about the more expensive projectors like SP-A900 and SIM3. But the 800 and 600 models should use the same IR codes.

Ehlerz:

... As a matter of fact i was not considering limiting my purchase to directly B&O supported devices as i guess i can program my Beo5 to support almost everything now, right?...

Right. But my experience is, a setup with just one IR eye is more reliable, because you don`t need to send IR commands all over your room, but just a single command to the BV7. So the entire cinema function will work - or not. But it won`t happen, that the BV7 turns to cinema, projector powers on, but the screen doesn`t scroll down..... And I can also use my Beo4s. The lintronic box will distribute the macro directly to the different units - I`m using Lintronics IR emitter cable. I`m also using an X10 unit to switch screen and projector to the mains - they are never in stdby mode. It`s the first command in the macro.

Ehlerz:

...How big is your cinemaroom, stefan? I am asking because mine is just about 20 kvm, so i wont need a screen much bigger than 60" at the moment. ...

My livingroom - it isn`t a dedicated cinemaroom, actually we call it "the epicenter", because of BL5s - is about 6m x 6m. Cinema setup uses 6m x 4m, viewing distance is 5m, picture is about 110", 16:9 format.

Stefan

• 06-19-2010 1:55 PM In reply to

HI All

So i got myself a projector but now i have a question about dvi output on the bv 7-40. I have connected a Mac mini, resolution 1080*1920 24P and everything works very well on my tv. However the projector sees the output from the tv as 1080, 60 hz, not 24??. Please tell me that the dvi out supports 24p. If i connect my mini directly to the projector, it plays 24p flawlessly++

Can someone please update me on this issue?

TIA

ehlerz

• 06-19-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hi there

My Projector displays that it is 24p when going through the BS from my Bluray player

The only complaint i have is the judder/panning that you get from the BV7 MK3 so i might change to a MK5 which might/should help with the smoothness of the display

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 06-19-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

I used to have a Bv 7-40 M3 with a Jvc Hd 1 projector,the pic was great and panning was good.I still have the same projector which im going to used on the new Bv 7-55. At the time the jvc blew away the Sony's with the picture detail and shimmering.On mission impossable 3 shimmering on the brick wall scene but on the jvc none and a better pic all round I was surprised.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)