in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-23-2010 12:55 PM by Olof. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2010 5:07 AM

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Can I connect my BeoMaster 5 via Airport and a Ethernet cable from Airport Extreme Station with my Mac Powerbook ?

would this be the way to get a connection between BeoPort and my Beomsater 5 ?

• 05-23-2010 7:05 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Can I connect my BeoMaster 5 via Airport and a Ethernet cable from Airport Extreme Station with my Mac Powerbook ?

Yes, should work. My BM5 is connected to airport extreme via ethernet, and the macbooks and mac minis wireless to airport. There is also Beoplayer installed on some macs and everything works fine. I can`t say anything about Beoport, because I have no Beoport, but I think it is just connected via masterlink to your Beosystem and to your computer via USB.

Stefan

• 05-23-2010 9:31 AM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Re: Can I connect my BeoMaster 5 via Airport and a Ethernet cable from Airport Extreme Station with my Mac Powerbook ?

I have a Ethernet connection via my AirportExtreme station to the internet, but cant get a connection via BeoConnect with my BeoMaster5... any ideas waht is wrong (I have checked my passwort and use as name "BEOMASTER5"), the Boemaster5 itself has still a permanet connection to the internet (via WLAN and my AIrportExpress base).

• 05-23-2010 10:16 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Knowing little about your B&O ML-System/setup I can only describe generally some possible problems
    and make some assumtions:

You own a ML System and the BeoMaster is in a different room as your BeoPort

Till now you used BeoPort to distribute NetMusic /NetRadio to your ML-System.

In future this task should be done by your BeoMaster 5.  

As a first step I would disconnect the BeoPort from the ML System and try to get the BM5 work together
    with your Mac

maybe you'll have to run setup again ..

Regarding the room with the BeoPort:
    you'll have to change the settings of your BeoPort to behave more or less like a BeoLink Aktive or,
    making more sense, replace BeoPort by BeoLink Aktive and connecting your Mac to the PC input of
    the BeoLink Aktive. 
    Advantage: no need the Mac beeing "on" while you are listening to music from your ML-System
    -  the sound of your computer can locally be heard by pressing "PC"  

• 05-23-2010 11:16 AM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

You own a ML System and the BeoMaster is in a different room as your BeoPort

No both are in he same room (the connection cable is not so long).

Till now you used BeoPort to distribute NetMusic /NetRadio to your ML-System.

No, i never used it before, its my first setup

In future this task should be done by your BeoMaster 5. 

No, BeoMaster always has to been used for this, BeoConnect is neede to gte the music files onto the BeoMaster 

As a first step I would disconnect the BeoPort from the ML System and try to get the BM5 work together
    with your Mac

Thats not possible, because BM needs BeoConnect to work with my Mac

• 05-23-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Olof:

I have a Ethernet connection via my AirportExtreme station to the internet, but cant get a connection via BeoConnect with my BeoMaster5... any ideas waht is wrong (I have checked my passwort and use as name "BEOMASTER5"), the Boemaster5 itself has still a permanet connection to the internet (via WLAN and my AIrportExpress base).

If you are using BeoConnect you don`t need a Bepport, I think. Did you register Beoconnect? A lot of people had problems connecting their BM5 wireless. It is NOT recommended by Beo.

Stefan

• 05-23-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

"No, BeoMaster always has to been used for this, BeoConnect is neede to gte the music files onto the BeoMaster"

You can copy your music via BeoConnect or directly via an external USB HD using service mode of BM5 (much faster than BeoConnect). But you won`t need the Beoport box.

"As a first step I would disconnect the BeoPort from the ML System and try to get the BM5 work together
    with your Mac"

I agree.

"Thats not possible, because BM needs BeoConnect to work with my Mac"

As said before, BeoConnect doesn`t use Beoport. It`s just for PC if you are using Beoplayer (Beoport) software, or for MAC if you are using Link Player or BM Link.

Stefan

• 05-23-2010 11:57 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

stefan:

If you are using BeoConnect you don`t need a Bepport, I think. Did you register Beoconnect?
    A lot of people had problems connecting their BM5 wireless. It is NOT recommended by Beo.
    Stefan

Stefan is absolutely right - you don't need the BeoPort - in fact it will make troubles in the
    system when not set to the right options!

Just recently had to add a BeoMaster 5 to a ML-System of a Mc ;-) user

In this case the Mac was in a different room and already connected to BeoPort+BLbs.

Myself beeing a "Windooofs" ;-) user - so I asked the "Mc-Guy" at B&O Tech Support.

For my installation, he recommanded to remove the BeoPort (and later on to replace the
    BeoPort by a BeoLink Active - advantage as described in my previous posting) and to start 
    the installation /setup of BeoConnect again - just having the MAC and BM5 in the same
    (wired) Ethernet Network.  

• 05-23-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I use an airport extreme to connect both BeoPlayer and BeoConnect to my BM5.  The BM5 is connected via ethernet to the airport.  The computers talk wirelessly.  When I have big transfers, I connect the computer directly into the airport.  This has all been working fine for about a year.

For BeoPort, you would just connect this via MasterLink.  There is no need for ethernet (in fact, the BeoPort doesn't have ethernet so I'm confused about this question).  However, I don't know how a BeoPort will operate in a system with a BM5.  I removed my BeoPort when I added the BM5 and replaced it with a BL Active.

Step 0:  Have you registered with Bang-Olufsen?  Click on "registration" on the BeoConnect screen and follow the directions - I don't know if this would stop you from connecting, but it will stop you from seeing all of the N.Radio stations.

Step 1:  Go into the "expanded menu" on the BS5 and verify that the BM5 can see the network (set the wheel to "Settings", then press >>, <<, >>, <<, GO), then look under Network Info and Internet Connection should be "YES".  If the BM5 doesn't see a network, then figure out why.  If it does see the network, note the hostname (should be BEOMASTER5) and IP address (should be similar to the ip address of your computer except for the last number, for example, my computer is 10.0.1.2 and my beomaster5 is 10.0.1.10).

Step 2:  Can the computer "ping" the BM5?  Open a terminal prompt on your mac and type "ping beomaster5".  If this does not work, then see if you can ping by IP address (that you noted when looking at Network Info under the "expanded menu" of the BS5 - e.g. ping 10.0.1.10).  If you can ping via IP address, but not by "beomaster5", then enter the ip address in beoconnect and see what happens. 

Step 3: If this doesn't work, then verify that both your computer and the beomaster5 are known to the airport: Open the "Airport Utility" and select your airport, then select "manual setup" -> Advanced -> Log and Statistics -> DHCP clients.  Look for your computer's IP address and/or name and the beomaster's IP address and/or name.  Since the BM5 is hardwired to the Airport, it should be there.  If not, then chances are your ethernet cable is bad (make sure the little lights next to the ethernet connection on both BM5 and airport are blinking).

You might also try hardwiring you computer to the airport just as a test (to eliminate any issues that might be coming from wireless - although if you can surf the internet wirelessly from your computer than you should be able to connect to BM5.

One other thought - make sure you're not using the "guest network" feature of the airport - if you're connected to a "guest network", you cannot connect to local computers on the network, only the internet.  You can find this setting in the airport utility under "guest network".

The password is case sensitive meaning you need to enter everything in UPPER CASE (I don't think the BS5 let's you enter lower case letters on the password screen).

Hopefully this will help you diagnose your issue.

Stan

• 05-23-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

I can ping my Beomaster5 via Terminal and in the Airport Utility i can find 3 clients and one of them is named BeoMaster5, but i cant get any connection by BeoConnect (Netradio works fine, so the BeoMaster 5 has a permanent internt connection).

• 05-23-2010 12:32 PM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Do you know how I can copy my music files from iTunes onto a HardDisk, which is able to be read by BM5 ?

• 05-23-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Thanks to all who tried to help me, it works I found the error. Its not the MAC it was WINDOWS, my dealer sold me a WLAN stick for whom I had to install the drivers by my own.... and threre (in the service level at the BeoMaster5) i found two checkboxes I had to choose.... now I can copy files from my Mac to the Beomaster 5

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)