in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-03-2010 3:59 PM by BenSA. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2010 4:14 PM

S45 recabbed into S55

I have a strange question...

I have a pair of tatty S45's (single fret)

I have a pair of mint S55's (double fret) -the true successor to the earlier S45.

Assuming that the cabinets are near identical w/ regards to volume and dynamics, is there anything stopping me from transplanting the S45 internals into the S55 cabinet? I think that the early S45's are simply marvelous sounding, but I kind of like the looks of the later revised uniphases...

Thx in advance for any thoughts! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-18-2010 4:47 PM In reply to

Re: S45 recabbed into S55

I think the cabinets of the earlier speakers are far better made. Each to their own though. Not sure how easy it will be as the drivers are quite different.

• 05-18-2010 6:00 PM In reply to

burantek:

Assuming that the cabinets are near identical w/ regards to volume and dynamics, is there anything stopping me from transplanting the S45 internals into the S55 cabinet? I think that the early S45's are simply marvelous sounding, but I kind of like the looks of the later revised uniphases...

Nothing to stop you - but I think you'd be destroying two pairs of speakers! I've done my share of transplanting odd stuff to another odd stuff, but as we're talking about B&O, where's the reward? If you are not happy with the looks or the performance of a certain speaker model, just aim for another one.

I don't really know how this stuff works outside of my country, but I'd also suspect that such a bastar*ized piece of kit would be a resale problem. Considering if you ever want to sell anything - you are of course free to do anything with your own kit!

-mika

• 05-18-2010 8:18 PM In reply to

OH, YOU PURISTS! Super Angry LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Like I said... a strange question...

The way I look at it: I have a pair of devilish looking speakers that sound like angels, on the other side -I have a pair of angelic looking speakers that sound like the devil! I do agree that I hate butchering stuff and I would not do it if there was cutting/pulling/prodding involved, but again if the result would be a pair of fantastic sounding and looking speakers and perhaps reversible...

This is not a front burner project, but something that sort of popped in my head. I will, however, take a closer look when I have the time.

Thanks guys!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-19-2010 1:30 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

What's wrong with the S45 cabinets ?

Martin

• 05-19-2010 8:45 AM In reply to

Dillen:

What's wrong with the S45 cabinets ?

Martin

Honestly... nothing catastrophic! Just tired!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-19-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

Fix them up then Big Smile

Have to confess that I like the looks of the later dual fret series much more as well... but I still fear that the result of the transplant would not sound as good either if you have to do some kind of enclosure mods to accomodate the "wrong" drivers.

-mika

• 05-30-2010 7:44 PM In reply to

On the QXL market here in Denmark, i've just seen a pair of the newer S55 fitted with units from the old S45. So it is possible. However - I don't know about the sound...Unsure

• 05-31-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

Thx Steffen... At least somebody else out there has tried it!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-01-2010 4:10 AM In reply to

• Yasin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-04-2009
    • Ankara,Turkey
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

My friend you have done an enormous job !  As i am a S 45 user (which i bought as rubish and had spent one month o repair) sound is excellent. S45 has a volume of 25 litres ang S55 has a volume of 32 litres which might change low frequency sounds.On the other hand it can sound good why not?. On my S 45's back part there are 2 air windows can be opened .I tried them open and not satisfied,then closed them with their lids.If you ever have a problem with lower frequencies you can fill the inner back part with 7 litres stuff instead (32-25=7) as S45 woofer is designed aproximately for 25 litres.Hope you enjoy your new speakers :)

• 06-01-2010 8:41 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The ones currently for sale in Denmark were of the newer type S45, they were not S55.
    The original woofer in the S55 is 6.4 Ohms. Hardly replaceable with anything else with good results.

Martin

• 06-01-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

OK... this is interesting...

I have (2) pair of the early single fret S45.

I have a pair each of the later double fret S45 and S55.

The reason I chose the S55 cab was because it was a 3-way unit (same as early S45) rather than the 2-way unit of the revised S45.

With all of the cabs sitting next to each other, I find it remakable that there is a volume delta of 7 liters. Granted the S55 is a bigger speaker, but, wow.

If I decide to proceed, I would do one at a time and of course, compare!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-01-2010 11:38 AM In reply to

Those volumes are gross volume - the S55 will appear bigger due to the odd grilles! The internal volume of the S55 is 20 litres - not sure about the S45-2 - I cannot find the figure but I would guess only a bit smaller. The S55 is the successor to the S45-2 - both are good quality speakers though I favour the S45-2. Just has a little magic that seems missing from most of the other Beovoxes.

• 06-01-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

Oops! My mistake. Of course you're right, Martin -they are S45. Embarrassed

By the way - dimensions are (cm):

S45.2:         26x48x21

"New" S45: 26,5x52,5x20

S55:            26,5x52,5x23

So, Peter -I don't know what "odd grilles" you mean...The only difference between the 2 "new" is the depht (3 cm's). Perhaps you are thinking of the S120/MC120.2 which has a small "grille" under the frets.

• 06-02-2010 3:08 AM In reply to

The grilles clip on the outside which will be included in the gross volume - they are a fair way from the fronts - much more so than the S45-2 and this will add quite a bit to the gross volume. I have pulled several of these speakers apart and the finish inside of the later speakers always disappointed me. The insides of the early Uniphase speakers was always most impressive - except the crossover board! The late versions had wood that appeared unplaned and just not so nicely put together. I do like S55 speakers in sound though and the S120 though the ones I had were not a very nice colour teak.

• 06-03-2010 3:59 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I can't imagine destroying a pair of S55, maybe because they were the first B&O speakers I ever got.

I quite enjoy fixing up speakers that look a bit tired. Have had some brilliant results plus its always nice to have a challenge. Unfortunately I am one of those people who cringe when people alter anything with a B&O...thats just me though of course!

Durban South Africa

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)