in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-16-2010 8:12 AM by beodim. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2010 10:12 AM

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Hmm [^o)] Beomedia: IP address error message

My Beomedia 1 is connected to my home network via a LAN router that also accomodates several laptop computers. From time to time when I turn on the Beomedia on my TV, it displays a standard Windows error message that there is an IP address conflict with other network users (I guess the problem is caused by the LAN router). This message cannot be removed with Beo 4 and stays displayed on the screen although the Beomedia can still be operated in the N.Music or Photo mode. I have so far only succeeded to remove this error message by rebooting the Beomedia using the rear switch. Is there any other more sophisticated way to handle such errors?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

Filed under:
  • 05-15-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beomedia: IP address error message

Hi:

The advice I am about to give you is based upon a simillar situation I had when I was building my home network. I cannot remember the exact procedure or where exactly the options are on Windows to sort this out (I assume you are using Windows). Hopefully someone will be along at some point to fill in the blanks or correct me accordingly.

Right:

Forgetting that the Beomedia is an A/V device, as it is connected to your network it is in effect another PC. I have not used a Beomedia but I assume you have it wired by ethernet to your router as opposed to wireless (I am unsure if the Beomedia supports wireless in any case).

I also imagine that you are refering to a wireless router as opposed to a wired hub?

The principle is still the same so I shall proceed:

The main PC that is attached to your router (or the one that was attached when you setup your router) needs to be reattached by ethernet). Then, in My Network Places or whatever the equivalent is in Vista (you need to fiddle around in the general area) looking for an option that is vaguely simillar to "assign a ne IP address to each device that joins the network". What should then happen is that a new IP address is given to the Beomedia which does not conflict with the IP address of the other items on your network and thus you should not recieve that warning message any longer.

At present the reason you are having this issue is because one of the computers on your network has been assigned the same IP as the Beomedia and this is causing the problem.

I hope this helps, sorry if I am being too vague - I cannot remember exactly how I sorted this out, but what I have said should point you in the general direction.

Graham

• 05-15-2010 11:56 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Thank you, Graham.

This is how it is set it up. The router is supposed to allocate a unique IP address to every user. It actually does, but occasionally this IP address conflict emerges. I think this is a router problem. I probably need to replace it with another one.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 05-15-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

hi there

your router will be assigning IP address to devices on your network with a lease.

If i was you i woudl log into your beomedia and access the windows settings that you need a keyboard and mouse for.

once there i would give the beomedia an IP address that is higher than all of your devices put together so lets say your router is 192.168.10.1 and your laptops use 192.168.1.2 and so on

assign the beomedia something like 192.168.1.50

if you would like some help just ask its no problem

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 05-15-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

you dont need a new router it is just the IP address being reused on the network its a common problem of DHCP (automatic IP assignment)

another thought did you assign the beomedia with an IP address when you first set it up, maybe you assigned it an address that the router is also giving out when laptop users request IP

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 05-15-2010 7:27 PM In reply to

You can also power cycle the devices involved and the issue should be, at least temporarily, resolved.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-16-2010 8:12 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Seanie:

hi there

your router will be assigning IP address to devices on your network with a lease.

If i was you i woudl log into your beomedia and access the windows settings that you need a keyboard and mouse for.

once there i would give the beomedia an IP address that is higher than all of your devices put together so lets say your router is 192.168.10.1 and your laptops use 192.168.1.2 and so on

assign the beomedia something like 192.168.1.50

if you would like some help just ask its no problem

The Beomedia was set to obtain the IP address automatically. I have now set it up with a static IP address high enough not to conflict with the other users. I hope it will work going forward.

Thank you, guys, for all your assisstance!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)