in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2010 10:39 AM by Peter. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2010 5:39 PM

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

American Purchase to Take Back to Australia

Hi,

I'm currently holidaying in DC and NY.  Is it feasable to purchase a BS1 (or even BS4) from the States and bring back in to Oz?  The price comparison is huge and from a money point of view seems too good to pass up.

I could use a power adapter (the travel kind) when i get back to Australia. 

Is there anything I need to think of or is this pretty fail safe?  

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Michael. 

• 05-13-2010 8:06 PM In reply to

Re: American Purchase to Take Back to Australia

Hi Michael,

Given that you feel your cost savings are significant, I would go for it... 

You will need to buy a good quality step down transformer to convert the 220Volt incoming power in Oz to the 110volt of the US equipment otherwise you'll fry the unit!

Good Luck with it.

Laurence.

• 05-13-2010 10:56 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

A 50W step down transformer with earth isolation ia AU$55 from Radio Parts. Their units work well. They can be a bit bulky and industrial in a neat area and they make a mockery out of standby power savings...  Should have seen my wifes reaction.....

What is the price difference?

beoaus

• 05-14-2010 9:15 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

A possible problem might be if a fault develops with the unit(s). A dealer in Australia would perhaps realise a step-down transformer has been necessary and this could be used as a reason to decline service if they want to be awkward.

• 05-14-2010 10:39 AM In reply to

I believe the BS4 simply has one jumper switch to change - no transformer necessary. You would no doubt be charged for this but it would be less than a transformer I would hope and much more efficient. Or make it a condition of the sale that this is done in the US. Have a look at the service manual on site.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)