in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2008 11:38 AM by ibg001. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2007 2:40 PM

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

BeoVision 8

Quote from Shiny Shiny

"Apparently, they've paid an extra amount of interest in the speech reproduction, and as a result, when you're watching, it seems like the sound is actually coming out of the mouth of the person, rather than the speakers. Whether it's actually true or not I'm not convinced"

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2007/04/affordable_luxu.html#more

hmm unable to hyperlink 
  • 04-16-2007 2:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoVision 8

Thats pretty cool!  Aren't they supposed to start showing up in EU stores soon?
    Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 04-17-2007 8:25 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Does anybody have an idea of the likely pricing for the UK yet?
    Beosystem5000,CDX,S45,BS1,BS3200,BL6000,BV8-26,A8)
  • 04-17-2007 10:36 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

My dealer told me in february, that the BV8 would be delivered here in Luxembourg during week 18... that should be next week! I'll go and check! Wink

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-17-2007 11:15 AM In reply to

Mark:
    Does anybody have an idea of the likely pricing for the UK yet?

Expect the 26" to be around £2000 and the 32" £3000ish.

• 04-17-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

I hate to start on the same topic again but £2000 for something that does not even have a DVB tuner built in? It's madness. I just bought a 26" Samsung LCD TV for my mother with DVB, HDMI and a selection of other acronyms for £400. Obvious the quality will not be as good as the BV8's but for that price it is difficult to complain.

Top that all off with the lack of glass between the panel and the viewer and the ridiculously large logo on the front (that was enough to put me off to begin with) and it really does not take my fancy. Then again I am sure it will find a market with some.

Nicholas
  • 04-17-2007 12:47 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The BeoVision 8 has a single HDMI connector I believe.

Hopefully they will realise that High Definition is the technology on it's way IN and not on it's way OUT as they seem to be treating it fairly soon.

Let me see, XBox 360, oh no I can't connect that, no component. How about my Sky HD? Okay I've connected that. Upscaling DVD player, oh nope. No spare HD connections. Play Station 3? Oh no no more connections! Apple TV, again, no spare connections.

So let's say I want a Bang & Olufsen TV for a kid's bedroom (when I'm old enough to have kids), they want to connect their PS3 and Apple TV. They can't! Only one high-def connection when the majority of decent sources out there at the moment connect with HDMI! Not even an option to connect an xbox 360 in HD because it only runs down Component!

Please B&O, make your TVs look like they were designed some time after the year 2003. Sure it looks fancy and performs fantastically for what it has, but what it has is INCREDIBLY limited. I don't want to have to pay for a BeoVision 7 if I just want to play my 360 in HD. I should only be having to buy a BV7 for the main room!!!

Angry

Rant over. Can't wait for the BeoVision 8...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-17-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

Just one HDMI for that price?

How do they think that people are making their mind up if they want to buy their first B&O television?

For the same price you can buy 46 inch A -brand LCD television with three HDMI 1.3 inputs.

How do they expect to get people over the edge to choose for the Beovison 8 then?

It is not pretty in looks in my opinion, so that attraction ain 't there.

A strong point could have been facilities build in, but there ain 't much either to flaunt with.

I think the Beovison 8 can become a big mistake.

Sometimes I think they are not doing their homework properly in Stuer what goes on in the marked.

Ofcourse that is only my simple opinion.

• 04-17-2007 6:28 PM In reply to

I think the customers will decide ...and not for bv8 i´m afraid. I like it´s look -apart from the logo-, but the technical hard facts are just so far away from the competition, it´s only sad.
    I´m very interested in the first number of sales in the danish market and the future development of the 8 line. In the official forum were some rumours about a special "additional box" being launched with the analogue switch-off in denmark next year (probably a hdr with dvb-t), but only future will tell. Still no satisfying solution.

Regards, beoberlin
  • 04-19-2007 2:54 PM In reply to

I have seen in now in flesh and I like it very much. The logo is change so you can only see it in different angel.
    And the price is dropped to 2700EUR for 26". And the plug-in module (ML+extra scart etc) goes for 490EUR

I think i gonna swap my brand new BC6-26 to BV8, so there will be money over for Beo5
  • 04-19-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

....mr anders(son):
    so there will be money over for Beo5

And a BV9!?

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 04-19-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

• 04-19-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Killyp:
    I don't want to have to pay for a BeoVision 7 if I just want to play my 360 in HD. I should only be having to buy a BV7 for the main room!!!

I know what you're saying. I know some Bath-based B&O customers who spent a fair amount of time in the Bath store recently, but simply couldn't justify a B&O TV in 2007. They already have two (living room, kitchen) and wanted another for their bedroom. However, due to some of the reasons you mention, and the price (have you priced up a BV6-23 on a table stand?), the ended up with Moss of Bath installing a top of the range Sony 32¨ for well under £800.

Their argument was that a B&O TV isn't 5x the value of a high-end Sony in 2007. Was three years ago, now the gap is far too wide :-/
  • 04-21-2007 12:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

What date will the BV8 be in U.K. stores. My dealer did tell me when i went to look at the BL9'S and BV9, but I cannot remember.Embarrassed

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-21-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Some people on the old forum were ranting about the lack of a Dolby Digital decoder, but in all fairness, that is something you'd have in the lounge, with a fully-blown surround sound setup. Maybe even the occlusion of a MasterLink module, but what B&O must understand is that people want to watch things on their TV, and if they can't connect the things they want to watch, then it's useless!

DVDs are on their way out IMO, so what else would you want to connect to a BeoVision 8 that requires scart? A freeview box? That's one scart, what about an HD-DVD player, xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or other Blu-Ray DVD player? What about the Apple TV, which looks like it's gonna be quite popular!

Tough, you can't connect them. You'll have to spend much more and go for a smaller screen if you want to connect things to your TV...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-21-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Killyp:
    Tough, you can't connect them. You'll have to spend much more and go for a smaller screen if you want to connect things to your TV...

Maybe B&O will bring out a HDMI expander. Something like the old Scart ones they did.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-21-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Am I the only one that vaguely sticks up for the poor BV8? Big Smile

I guess it does what it's supposed to do, i.e., just sit in a link room, be it wall mounted or not and that's about it. I think they have missed the point of a link room or any TV needing more than just one add on link, but hopefully, they'll get over that, they'll have too!!!

I'm a bit confused about it's real purpose to pull people into the brand as virgin customers, as I think it is a link option only and if they wanted to get virgin customers in they should have put the BV6 at the BV8 price and have BV8 a much cheaper option, but never mind thats another rant Wink

Being cynical though it's logo fills the need for the current trend (especially Asia-Pacific) that all you see is a logo. They're trying to be the Loius Vutton of TVs huh? LOL Stick out tongue

• 04-21-2007 6:06 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

benjnz:

Being cynical though it's logo fills the need for the current trend (especially Asia-Pacific) that all you see is a logo. They're trying to be the Loius Vutton of TVs huh? LOL Stick out tongue

i hope they will never try to be. got a LV handbag for my wife a year ago. has been repared twice since. will never buy one again.

have a BV7 for more than a year. never had a problem. would buy one again, so does she. Stick out tongue

• 04-22-2007 6:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

benjnz:

I guess it does what it's supposed to do, i.e., just sit in a link room, be it wall mounted or not and that's about it. I think they have missed the point of a link room or any TV needing more than just one add on link, but hopefully, they'll get over that, they'll have too!!!

I'm a bit confused about it's real purpose to pull people into the brand as virgin customers, as I think it is a link option only and if they wanted to get virgin customers in they should have put the BV6 at the BV8 price and have BV8 a much cheaper option, but never mind thats another rant Wink

If it's meant to primarily be a link room TV, then why doesn't it come with a Masterlink module? As it comes, it's not meant to be anything. It can't stand up as it's own as a TV, and it can't stand up as a link TV.

I really hope they do bring out an HDMI expander!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-22-2007 8:54 AM In reply to

I am not judging the BV8 till I have seen it. Its main problem will be that LCD TVs are so cheap now and a stand alone 26" for £2000 seems rather expensive unless it really is good. And if it is that good, why buy a BC6? The lack of digital tuner is the big disappointment to me. A free standing set - but needing an extra box immediately.

• 04-22-2007 9:52 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

eduard:

The price of the BV-8 is reduced to 2500 euro, they started at 2850 euro....Tongue Tied

i'm sure the price will rise again very soon. would not be very b&o like...

• 04-22-2007 10:39 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

I am not judging the BV8 till I have seen it. Its main problem will be that LCD TVs are so cheap now and a stand alone 26" for £2000 seems rather expensive unless it really is good. And if it is that good, why buy a BC6? The lack of digital tuner is the big disappointment to me. A free standing set - but needing an extra box immediately. 

I won't be judging design, or anything other than basic technical info until I see it as well, but as you say, you already need an extra box straight away (otherwise you end up watching a stretched 4:3 picture, or nothing at all in some countries), and if you decide you want to be modern and go for Freesat or Sky HD, then you basically can't connect another decent source!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-22-2007 2:15 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

smito:
    eduard:

The price of the BV-8 is reduced to 2500 euro, they started at 2850 euro....Tongue Tied

i'm sure the price will rise again very soon. would not be very b&o like...

2500€ is for 26 or 32 inches??? (I'm dreaming it's for 32"...)

In the beginning of the BV8 rumor, it was advertised (in a 2006 financial report I think) as THE TV for BV3 and MX customers. BV3 had dolby digital as an option at the beginning, then it became standard. I think it was quite the same with MX. I think they are totally going the wrong way. For the price of a BV3, you get less, and if you compare the BV8 now and the BV3 at the launch, you have a product with no digital tuner in a market where every TV has, for 5 times less money. The BV3 was not outdated at the launch, the BV8 is.

Last point : if B&O want to sell a TV for newcomers, it has to be at least at the market level technically, with a low price (in B&O terms... so... still expensive!), and with a big choice of extension modules, like masterlink or cinema, in order to sell more and more speakers in the future, and more and more link systems, while making money with extension modules. The BV8 is very closed, so why not going for a Sony/Philips/Samsung/Loewe? (ok, the speaker seems good, but I fear that's all)

• 04-22-2007 2:39 PM In reply to

As a Link-Tv it´s perfekt. Why more HDMI ?
    You dont need this for as link tv

Maybe BV8-32 needs this but not "26

But I agree, the extra module that include ML, BeoLink video dist. and another scart. That scart should ofcourse be another HDMI
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >