in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2010 5:44 PM by Teletom. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2010 3:54 AM

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

What was your first B&O purchase and why did you purchase?

Hi everyone,

Although I have 2 small B&O purchases (headphones lol), and am considering either some speakers or a TV to replace my ageing Pioneer Plasma, it got me thinking.... what was your first B&O purchase and why did you purchase?

Regards

Michael.

• 05-02-2010 4:03 AM In reply to

Re: What was your first B&O purchase and why did you purchase?

My first purchase was a Beocenter 9300. Read all about it here

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-02-2010 4:55 AM In reply to

• Lex Lance
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-05-2010
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

Mine was a Beocenter 8500, then a beosystem 4500 and then a Beomaster 8000.

• 05-02-2010 5:14 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

My first buy was a pair of A8 headphones.

I saw them in a catalogue and they looked great. I searched a store, listened to them and was about 75% satisfied.

I bought them, tested them at home and was 100% satisfied! It was a very expensive buying experience because they showed me how bad the iPod sounded and I had to replace it with a Sony Vaio Pocket (the best MP3 player I ever had!).

This was where the infection has begunBig Smile

• 05-02-2010 5:22 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

beocool:

That's a fantastic story :-)  Thanks for sharing.

Michael

• 05-02-2010 6:17 AM In reply to

A pair of Beovox S30's for  nominal sum from eBay about three years ago.

A succession of speakers an seperates had passed through my hands in the preceing few years that didn't sound as good as my fathers system based around his S30's so I decided to buy what he had!

It was the tip of the iceberg........

Simon

• 05-02-2010 6:39 AM In reply to

Michael:

beocool:

That's a fantastic story :-)  Thanks for sharing.

Michael

Thanks, Michael! There are some similar stories here.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-02-2010 7:26 AM In reply to

The first thing I ever bought was a Beogram 2400 from a dealer in Portsmouth that had a sale. I didn't even have an amp to connect it but I knew I had to have it.

Had to wait a year to hear it for the first time, I had to keep it in storage as there was no space on board ship.

• 05-02-2010 7:55 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

The first bit of B&O I bought was a Beocom 6000. I have no idea why really. I was 16/17 at the time and lived at home, and I have never been the big blabbermouth, but I guess it was the cheapest way to get my hands on some B&O. After that I haven't bought anything but B&O, kind of expensive hobby Smile

• 05-02-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

My first purchase was a pair of Beolab 3 about a year ago. They worked with a Pioneer receiver and a Samsung LCD.

Within the past 9 months I bought then a Beosound 3200, Beoport to connect my iMac to the Beosound and quickly thereafter a Beovision 8/40. 

Recently I bought a Beolab 2000 for my Saunarium and just 3 weeks ago a pair of Beolab 6000 to be connected to the Beoport in my office room. 

Next project is to connect a Beolink Active to my second TV (Toshiba) in the Saunarium and use it with a pair of BL4000 (most likely). The BL20 will then move to my Terrace and play there during the summer time (cabelling is already done).

Have fun with the world of B&O. Its an expensive but wonderful hobby.  

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 05-02-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

Our first purchase was a Beosound 2000/Century. I had a memory of being a child and entering a large department store and hearing an orchestra playing. I eagerly ran through the store looking for the orchestra only to discover it was a B and O demonstration. Years later my wife and I were in Chicago shopping and made an impulse purchase of the Beosound. 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 05-02-2010 8:40 AM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

My first purchase was a Beomaster 7700 system. Still working today after 25 years. Then followed by an LX 2502, standalone and working today after 22 years. 
    In 2005 I started to build a m/l capable system which now includes B/L wireless, Avant, BS 3200, BS5 and various BL1 / BL2 / BL3. The ease of effort and the service, quality of sound and picture and ease of operating in different countries still convince me to buy...

• 05-02-2010 11:50 AM In reply to

BeoCenter 2300 + BeoLab 6000.  1998.  Had been married six months, had no audio whatsoever at home.  

The wife and I stopped at a Sound Advice store thinking perhaps of a Bose or Nakamichi, something small, modern.  We weren't thinking of B&O and weren't truly cognizant of the brand.  The sales guy showed us a BeoCenter hanging from the wall and played Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem and we were 99% sold.  Which drove us to go a few miles down the road to the B&O dealership at Aventura (also owned by Sound Advice at the time) and we bought the stuff the same afternoon.  

It was a very, very lucky day.

• 05-02-2010 12:27 PM In reply to

Good question.

With the collection being what it is today it would be cool to think back a bit.

Let's see I had a JVC 3cd stereo system and got a Beogram 1202 from my parents.

One day I noticed an ad for a Beogram 2000 in another part of the town I was living in for not much.

I decided to go and have a look. The Beogram 1202 was fine and still is but I wanted to have a look and maybe it was something a bit newer.

The '80s Beogram 2000 was complete with MMC4 and I bought it on the spot for about 35£

Time went by and I later found the Beomaster and Beocord by accident not knowing it was a system. It got serviced and the next 3 years were great trouble free years and I moved for the Beolab 8000 with a white Beosystem 6000 comming too and the rest is history.

• 05-02-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

when and what ?

my tag says it :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 

why ? 

I liked minimalism and had lusted after a B&O since I was a teenager

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-02-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

First one. Back in 1980s when I inherited one! It's a Beomaster 1600, Beogram 1700 and a Beocord 1600 with S30s.

Still have them. 

But after that.............. it's really infectious!!!! I really cannot count what I have already bought in the meantime and really pleanty on "stock" at the moment.

It's really an addiction. But I just love it.

Best regards

Spiros

• 05-02-2010 1:46 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

A BS1.  I was in search of the best sounding "all in one" stereo for my office (had looked at Bose, Denon, Nakimichi and a few others).  I heard the BS1 and that was it.  Seach was over.  To my ears, it sounded far better than anything else. It also helped that it looked cool, had a great remote, had some metal surfaces (vs. all plastic) and had a motorized antenna.  This led to a BS9000+BL8000, which led to a BS2, BL2, BL4000s, BeoPort, BeoActive. BeoCom1s, BeoCom3, BS3, BL3500, BS5/BM5, Wireless1s and BL4s... so  be careful, it can cost a whole lot more than the initial purchase price Big Smile

Stan

• 05-02-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

My first purchase was a Beomaster 1000 (White key version) along with Beogram 1000 and pair of non B&O speakers. All brought for the sum of £10. From a local free ads paper. Since then I have owned more pieces than I can remember.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-02-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

My first B&O was a Beocenter 9000 with Red Line 60.2's bought at Xmas 1987 when I was 15 years old.

My best mate at school had a father who had several sound and vision shops around the NW of england and had B&O dealership status. Due to this he allowed me a few hundred quid discount.

I had worked during school holidays for a couple of years & managed to save up about a thousand pounds.

That Beocenter 9000 & speakers was eventually passed onto my mother who had it for a further 10 years or so and it only recently gave up the ghost with the cd-mechanism.

Since 1987 Ive had loads of B&O and with the advent of the internet and ebay - now usually by second-hand items.

All in all I believe I have had 4 bang music systems and 5 bang tv's.

I like the brand a lot - but am very selective about which particular things I actually want to own. To be honest, at any one time, the majority of B&O's range are of no interest to me at all. For example - with the possible exception of a Beosound 9000 - I dont fancy any music center of the current range - so i'm totally happy with my Beosystem 7000 with MCP6500 together with Beolab Penta's and Avant Tv!! - ranging in age between 12 years and 20 years!!Wink

Regards,

Michael

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 05-02-2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• jam57
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Denver CO
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Hi Michael

My first purchases were made in 1983. I bought a BeoMaster2400, BeoGram2404 and S-45 speakers. I first heard a B&O system as a teenager at a local dealer and was blown away by the sound and style. The receiver was discontinued and was on sale so it was time to take the plunge and that's how I became infected with the BeoVirus.

John

• 05-02-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

My first B&O was an Ouverture with a pair of beolab 2500 bought in Italy that I brought to the UK years later.

It was quite an event as a hand luggage! Big Smile

Still with me with a pair of beolab 6000 instead plus many other Bang & Olufsen products.

• 05-02-2010 3:50 PM In reply to

I think I forgot why.

B&O was among the best quality when growing up so if it was B&O it would at least work for some time to come.

The Beogram 2000 looked design wise great and it was cheap too. When the whole system came together with an Attycca II stand it really looked great. The thing was that it was not really planned to have a complete 2000 system but happend when purchasing a Beocenter 2000. I have the flat and silver but it does not work. Bring it along and we can make a deal or something. I did not even know what he was going to bring. Another Beogram 2000? No it was BM and BC so next day service and finding something to put it on + suitable Beovox's. 3 weeks later there you have it your first B&O system.

Later I was interesting in hearing what a Beomaster 6000 and 8000 really sounds like + I found the design cool and still do.

Its an addiction but I'm happy with it.

• 05-02-2010 8:05 PM In reply to

Back when VCRs were the go, my first purchase was a VX7000 VCR. I bought it locally secondhand (and lightly used). Little did I know at the time that you needed a Beovision to use it! So, I then had to buy an MX7000 to match it Big Smile

I don't own the VX7000 anymore, it was actually bought from me by a fellow Beoworlder off eBay! (Beoaus) It was sheer coincidence, and we lived in the same street!!! He just walked down the street to collect it!

I knew B&O from my teenage years as a few guys I went to school with had systems in their parents homes. One friend wouldn't even let me near the remote Unsure His house was literally filled with B&O. He had a Beocenter 9500 with Beogram 9500 turntable and either CX100s or In-wall Beovoxs in every room of his parents very large house. I was very jealous...

Now I have the B&O disease...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 05-03-2010 1:16 AM In reply to

Michael,

It was 1971 and I'd been left some money in a relation's will.  I bought a Beogram 1000 in Teak from my local dealer, along with a Rotel amplifier and a pair of Wharfedale Dentons. 

Looking back, I still can't understand why I bought the amp and the Dentons and not the Beomaster 1000 and a pair of B&O speakers, or even a 1200 system.  In those days, B&O was sold by knowledgable dealers who also sold other makes and it is just possible that they didn't have the whole B&O product range.  Even though I wasn't so conscious of design then or of B&O as a  brand, I can't believe I wouldn't have been totally smitten by the 1200 system if it had been in the shop.  In my impetuous youth, the money would have been burning a hole in my pocket and I would have wanted to buy somthing there and then. 

Hopefully I've moved on a bit since then!

Cleve

• 05-03-2010 3:56 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

jldmelb:
    it was actually bought from me by a fellow Beoworlder off eBay! (Beoaus) It was sheer coincidence, and we lived in the same street!!! He just walked down the street to collect it!

Too funny :-)  I don't think anyone in my street has B&O *scratches head*

jldmelb:
    One friend wouldn't even let me near the remote Unsure

Was it in the pool room ? :-p

Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next >