in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-08-2010 2:23 AM by elephant. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2010 5:43 AM

BV8-40, MX4002 and a mediacenter

Hey guys,

Hope some of you can help me with a question.

I have a BV8-40 in the livingroom together with a BeoSound 4 and a MX4002 in the bedroom. All connected with MasterLink. I have for some time now wanted to buy a MacMini as a mediacenter for my setup, and control it with the brilliant LinkPlayer App. But I want to wait for the next generation MacMini, and my fingers are crossed for an HDMI output. Until then, I thought that I would use my MacBook Pro. But how should I connect it? The output connection on the MacBook Pro is the Mini Displayport (MD)

Should I use a 'MD to VGA' and connect it to the VGA port on the BV8-40? I know I only will get max resolution of 1280 x 720, but will it give a good picture?? And will I be able to see the picture on my MX4002 in the Linkroom?

Or should I approach it differently?

Regards, Claus

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 05-01-2010 9:15 PM In reply to

Re: BV8-40, MX4002 and a mediacenter

ClausMikkelsen:
    MacBook Pro is the Mini Displayport (MD)

It all depends how old your MacBook Pro is ...

I bought mine in January 2009 and so it does *NOT* have VGA support through its MD

So I have an adapter that goes from the MD to an HDMI connection

But this means it is digital signals, and can't go through the RF amplifier to other TVs

I find my resolution is fine on my BV8-32

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-01-2010 9:39 PM In reply to

ClausMikkelsen:
    But I want to wait for the next generation MacMini, and my fingers are crossed for an HDMI output.

Like you I am holding out for the next generation of MacMini and/or Apple TV to see what they bring ... 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-02-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

I'm waiting too about the next mac mini or the next Apple TV. :-)

• 05-02-2010 7:12 AM In reply to

Hi Elephant,

I thought that all MacBooks had VGA support through the MD!? Thanks for the warning. My Macbook Pro is from around the same time. But this was also just thought as an possibility until a future MacMini comes along.

I don't think there will be a MacMini with HDMI, especially not since the new MacBook Pro have an updated MD that also carries the audio. Then we would only need a MD to HDMI adaptor.

Linkroom will still be a problem though. Could be solved with a HDMI to Composite converter, I think. But most of them don't convert HDCP - won't that be a problem??

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 05-02-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

ClausMikkelsen:
    new MacBook Pro have an updated MD that also carries the audio. Then we would only need a MD to HDMI adaptor.

yes you are correct - that is what I meant :-) HDMI audio and video input into my BV

ClausMikkelsen:
    Could be solved with a HDMI to Composite converter, I think. But most of them don't convert HDCP

I believe the expensive ones do ... there have been references to them on various threads including one where there is no interruption during switching because the HDCP is being handled inside the switch ... I hope that my memory is correct on this !

ClausMikkelsen:
    Linkroom will still be a problem though.

The software thread was updated in the past 2 days with the news of a new update for TVs that have the beosystem 3 platform/chassis -- there may be some hope with that update -- the information is a little unclear

• 08-08-2010 2:23 AM In reply to

ClausMikkelsen:
    I thought that all MacBooks had VGA support through the MD!?

It turns out that you were right and I was wrong - most frustrating as I operated for a whole 18 months on the mistaken belief that the MiniDisplay port to VGA cable did not work for the 2009+ MacBooks ... it is now so long in the past that I formed this opinion I really don't know whether it came from an Apple Genius guy in Regent Street last year, or my own bad Apple & MacRumors research.

I found out that the new MacMini supports MiniDisplay Port VGA ... and when I back tracked I confirmed the recent Macbooks also do ... and I bought a MDP VGA adapter and confirmed that it works on both Apples 

SSorry for the bad advice

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)