in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-17-2010 6:11 PM by Stan. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2010 10:40 AM

Any news on Apple Lossless support?

Anything, also will that enable gapless playing for live recordings etc like it does for WMA?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-29-2010 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: Any news on Apple Lossless support?

Even though I own a Beosound 5, I am starting to think Apple lossless is never going to happen.

Bang and Olufsen doesn't seem to understand that some of their best customers are Apple users in a big way.  In my small family, there are 2 Macbooks, 1 Mac mini, 1 iMac 27, 2 iPhones, and now 2 iPads.  The forthcoming B&O iPhone dock sounds interesting but is rather late.  Judging from the posts on this site, there are others who feel the same way.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-29-2010 7:45 PM In reply to

linder:

Even though I own a Beosound 5, I am starting to think Apple lossless is never going to happen.

Bang and Olufsen doesn't seem to understand that some of their best customers are Apple users in a big way.  In my small family, there are 2 Macbooks, 1 Mac mini, 1 iMac 27, 2 iPhones, and now 2 iPads.  The forthcoming B&O iPhone dock sounds interesting but is rather late.  Judging from the posts on this site, there are others who feel the same way.

I agree. I've had my BeoSound 5 for a year now. I'm wondering what ever happened to all of those feature updates that B&O promised us. They seem to have forgotten all about the BeoSound 5.

• 04-30-2010 8:29 PM In reply to

I don't think it's a big seller and this is why they are not updating. I think while there is certainly a too late there may also be a too early for a diskless sound system.

I still like the idea and would even oversee the missing 2 way remote but I want gapless playing since I listen to a lot of life recordings. It's fine to me that it doesn't do video and what not but if it is just there for music it needs to do that perfect and little hicks between tracks is so 90ies and I am not switching back to Windows for this.

• 05-01-2010 7:45 AM In reply to

jk1002:

I don't think it's a big seller and this is why they are not updating. I think while there is certainly a too late there may also be a too early for a diskless sound system.

I am also wondering why so little happens on the BS5/BM5 area, it is quite expensive, and I believe that B&O does have a clear strategy with the BS5 in the future product platform. If not, I feel that B&O is laughing at their customers.
    One could hope that B&O would open up - just a little bit - about what plans they have. 

There is something about B&O.....

• 05-01-2010 1:50 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

My BS/BM 5 also celebrated its anniversary. I hope the B&O executive suite does not forget us. The last updates were rather "marginal"...

• 05-10-2010 12:02 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

No Apple lossless support

No Tv/Video source sound from aTV master

No visible navigation of music collection in the link rooms

The lack of support of this potentially great product from Struer is IMHO scandalous.

• 05-10-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

I think what happens is that they don't sell enough to justify the cost of updates. I know some might find the thought upsetting but rather then no improvements maybe paid upgrades are the way to go. I am so used to that from my computers ........ I also think that they are in way over their heads, there was supposed to be an increased product dev cycle and right now i don't see much of that. They pay way to much attention to TVs in my opinion. I woulnd't have bought the b&o tv if i wouldn't have had the music system already.

• 05-11-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

JK, while I don't agree about paid updates for such an already expensive device, I do agree that B&O is missing something by giving their attention to TVs at the expense of the new music platform. It's a shame that B&O has put off production of the new link room music product in order to produce the larger BV10.

I've always thought that something very unique about B&O products is the MasterLink, which, in my opinion, is not promoted enough. Link room control of the BeoSound 5 via perhaps smaller control screens with a similar interface would make the new music platform something to be noticed, indeed.

I remember back in the early days of mp3 music when B&O announced that it would be doing beta testing for a new product (the PC Office 2) with BeoPlayer to be able to distribute such music around the home. I thought how brilliant this was and how perfectly logical it was for B&O to use their existing MasterLink network to distribute mp3 music and provide control around the home. At the time, I had purchased my first B&O stereo, the BeoCenter 2300, within about a year. I was so terribly disappointed when B&O finally launched the PC Office 2 with BeoPlayer to learn that B&O would not be working on a way to make it compatible with older products such as the BeoCenter 2300.

The same thing seems to be happening yet again. The latest feature added to the BeoSound 5 was the ability to extend link room control via link room tvs connected with video link. Having recently added a BeoSystem 3, I was excited that we in the US with the latest BeoSystem 3 could finally utilize this video link feature. I have a BeoSystem 3 in the living room with an Avant and a BeoSystem 1 in link rooms. However, B&O tech support advised me that in the US we could not use the new link room via link tv feature with the BS5 with Avants or BeoSystem 1. They advised that this would certainly be possible but that it would require a software update to the Avants or BeoSystem 1 to add the PC control function. They advised that B&O just didn't deem it worthwhile to update those discontinued products to make them compatible.

• 05-11-2010 11:59 PM In reply to

What baffles me is, non of the issues we discuss here probably come up in a sales demo. I mean for example on the demo units you just have single songs and many do not even think about the issue since most MP3 players just deal with. To me it looks very much like B&O doesn't further invest in what we ask for since it wouldn't increase sales much. Will there be a 2 way remote? I am sure since it would spark more sales. will there be gapless playing for other formats then windows media? I know for sure that many dealers do not even understand the issue, it's mostly something that affects one in a mac only environment or those who do not wish to use windows media. Out of that position, I would sign up for paid updates, I can decide on my own if I want that or not. Is better then nothing. We already had something like this in the past, i.e. one paid for chip updates on Beosounds or TVs.

• 05-13-2010 7:12 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    I know for sure that many dealers do not even understand the issue, it's mostly something that affects one in a mac only environment or those who do not wish to use windows media. 

I am afraid you quite right here. I checked with two dealers and both did not show any understanding of the issue. Unfortunately, I did send an email toward Struer, receiving the following feedback:

We are pleased to see that you are the owner of BeoSound 5 and BeoMaster 5. 
    We can inform you that there are no present plans for an update that supports Apple
    lossless.

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

When I decided to buy the system, the dealer told me that it was comming and when I did sent an email towards B&O at that time 
    I got a reply that they where considering it. Quite annoying the overall lack of improvement on such expensive system. 

• 05-13-2010 8:01 PM In reply to

Harry2008:

jk1002:
    I know for sure that many dealers do not even understand the issue, it's mostly something that affects one in a mac only environment or those who do not wish to use windows media. 

I am afraid you quite right here. I checked with two dealers and both did not show any understanding of the issue. Unfortunately, I did send an email toward Struer, receiving the following feedback:

We can inform you that there are no present plans for an update that supports Apple
    lossless.

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

When I decided to buy the system, the dealer told me that it was comming and when I did sent an email towards B&O at that time 
    I got a reply that they where considering it. Quite annoying the overall lack of improvement on such expensive system. 

I had thought Apple Lossless was not going to happen.  This might sound a little drastic but I think I am no longer going to continue using my Beosound 5.  For a Windows user, it is much easier to manage but I have several Macs in my home and a large iTunes library.  I am probably going to sell my Beosound 5/BM5 in September on Ebay.  Its a beautiful design and the sound is very good but for a Mac user it is a pain to use.

• 05-14-2010 1:50 AM In reply to

linder:

Harry2008:

jk1002:

lossless.

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

I had thought Apple Lossless was not going to happen.  This might sound a little drastic but I think I am no longer going to continue using my Beosound 5.  For a Windows user, it is much easier to manage but I have several Macs in my home and a large iTunes library.  I am probably going to sell my Beosound 5/BM5 in September on Ebay.  Its a beautiful design and the sound is very good but for a Mac user it is a pain to use.

I received an email from B&O when I purchased my BeoSound 5 that Apple Lossless support was forthcoming. As an attorney, I believe that B&O has opened itself up to the exposure of a class action lawsuit. We need to be heard.

• 05-14-2010 2:04 AM In reply to

Apple Lossless is not an open standard... Apple is not licensing it, so stop moaning at B&O.

• 05-14-2010 2:37 AM In reply to

Weak argument! Any other brand will play this format.

• 05-14-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

Very weak argument. Sonos has Apple lossless. I would live with a lossy format but want to have gapless playing without converting my mac environment to windows. The way the product looks at this point, it was clearly not well thought out. Not considering holiday music for mots, not considering multiple disks cd sets and not considering gapless life recordings and lastly not considering that the majority of b&o customers use Apple computers ........

• 05-14-2010 1:20 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    Very weak argument. Sonos has Apple lossless. I would live with a lossy format but want to have gapless playing without converting my mac environment to windows. The way the product looks at this point, it was clearly not well thought out. Not considering holiday music for mots, not considering multiple disks cd sets and not considering gapless life recordings and lastly not considering that the majority of b&o customers use Apple computers ........

Sonos is the only company that I can think of that has a license for Apple Lossless.  Sonos can probably do the license because of the scale of their business.

JK, You have been right about this all along.  However its time to move on.  Beosound 5 is exactly as it is described in the brochures.  B&O did say it would be updated periodically and that has happened.  I had hoped for more.  Fortunately for me I have a complete Beomaster 7000 system in storage that I can use to replace my Beosound 5.  I will connect the AUX port to an Apple airport and I will have Apple lossless on a B&O system controlled by an iPod touch or a new iPad.  My only problem is finding the box with the Beolink 7000 in it!

I look forward to new B&O products but I will not jump as quickly as I did for the Beosound 5.  Someone else will have to be the early adopter.

Bill

• 05-14-2010 2:39 PM In reply to

linder:

Sonos is the only company that I can think of that has a license for Apple Lossless.  Sonos can probably do the license because of the scale of their business.

Take also a look at the specs for Linn, Naim, Logitech, Sooloos. Wink

• 05-14-2010 4:33 PM In reply to

Jup, and I don't want to move on. I am waiting for them to give me a modern music system. If they can't get the BS5 right, does it mean they go back to CDs? Or does it mean they become a video only company? I wish we could get the product manager here for a Q&A to give him a proper beating :)

• 05-14-2010 5:43 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    Jup, and I don't want to move on. I am waiting for them to give me a modern music system. If they can't get the BS5 right, does it mean they go back to CDs? Or does it mean they become a video only company? I wish we could get the product manager here for a Q&A to give him a proper beating :)

I meant that I was moving on.  I actually bought a Beosound 5 on day 1 and am very disappointed.  I understand your desire for a modern music system.  It may happen.   

• 05-14-2010 11:26 PM In reply to

jk1002:
    I think what happens is that they don't sell enough to justify the cost of updates

What surprises me is that when it was launched B&O were surprised by the sales success they were having ... what happened ?

(Perhaps Trip can answer ?)

Was there an initial stampede and then no more sales ?

That would be a great pity !

I wonder what it would take to re-invigorate the BS/BM5 sales . . . . . . perhaps the very enhancements people keep mentioning ?

Catch-22 Sad

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-15-2010 8:34 AM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

I used to own a beomedia and waited a long time for an update that was promissed to the customer. I sold it and bougth a BM5/BS5 because the dealer told me the updates will come in this version. Last week I asked my dealer to take it back because I'm not pleased at all with the specifications after 1 year of 'software improvement'. I'm very glad I've got rid of this overpriced good looking mp3 player. Gapless playback is too important for me so I'll step into a ATV or Mac Mini / Ipad configuration.

No more B&O digital media for me!

• 05-15-2010 5:47 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You guys are depressing me...

Stan

• 05-15-2010 6:42 PM In reply to

Stan:

You guys are depressing me...

Stan

Stan I believe you should say B&O is depressing people by simply not delivering on created expectations. I know from the start that it was an very expensive system compared to all other solutions available, including a € 300 Apple TV at that time. But it was expected that much more would coming, including software updates, multi-room usage, etc. No hardware extension to support multiple rooms but, even more important, no software updates at all and no reliable statements from B&O where they are planning to go to. 

If you look in the other thread at this forum, listing product wishes for the BS5/BM5, you could hardly saying people wants to have extremely complicated things. All they are asking for is solving a number of short commings and offer a decent integration with Apple systems. the least they can do is inform their dealers properly.

The hardware limitations are I think known, understood and accepted by the majority of people. Of course, you can always ask for more, I would love to have a thin cd-loader build into the BS5, would make live much easier, but hey, I know upfront it is not there Wink

• 05-15-2010 7:10 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Apple Lossless is not an open standard... Apple is not licensing it, so stop moaning at B&O.

May be you are right, I could not find any documentation on the net that fast. Although there is opensource code available enabling playing Apple Lossless (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless). Probably we should send a mail to Steve to hear the storyWink On the other hand, why could B&O not just make a statement on codex support and eventuall issues like Linn has done?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >