in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-24-2010 1:24 PM by Friedmett. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2010 2:14 PM

What to do with broken Avant?

Sadly the Avant's tube has gone, the cost of repair is prohibitive so I am selling the remote and the Beo 6000 speakers but what to do with the TV? I am too fond of it to take it to the recycling dump, so any ideas as to what else i can do with it? Do people buy them as spares or whatever?

Any advice or ideas most welcome!

Dom

• 04-23-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

Re: What to do with broken Avant?

Sorry to hear that... RIP tube.

TAKE A LOOK HERE!!!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-23-2010 4:09 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hells Bells Jeff how did you remember that conversion? It was over a year ago - impressive stuff though.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-23-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

Chris,

Scotch is loaded with tau-tubulin kinase 1 inhibitors!

The conversion was definitely impressive!

Like Supermoto... I would also hate to bin an Avant! When my tube(s) go, I have every intent of converting them.

Fortunately, the 8490 US Avant makes this very easy w/ a projector out. I will probably use a much smaller screen to keep the Avant in proportion... 32" - 37" range. Maybe even a BV4-37 panel???

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-23-2010 5:04 PM In reply to

One option is to give it away for spares, the other option, depending on the type and problem with the tube is fixing it either by 'burning and tapping' it clean again or getting a replacement tube from anywhere but B&O as they are cheap (as said: depending on the type), also depending of where you are based of course :).

Quite some postings around here about this topic....

• 04-23-2010 5:16 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Why not just buy another Avant, they seem to go for so little now. Of course there is no way of knowing how long that one will last. If you can get to see it before buying though. You can always check the service counters.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-24-2010 5:34 AM In reply to

how much is the cost of repair? If it's £500 or so I'd get it done despite the fact it might not seem economically viable. You'd then have a telly that'd be guaranteed and should be good as new and there is still nothing like an avant in my opinion. I've still not seen a picture as good and I don't personally need anything with a larger screen. I know that I would be prepared to spend a bit on a new tube for mine when the time comes. After all, these units were nudging £6000 when new!

• 04-24-2010 1:24 PM In reply to

I second that.

What do you get Beovision wise for the cost of the repair bill?

I was in the same kind of situation when I got my '98 AV9000 last year.

It got a full B&O service in Struer and has been working great since. Not many hours on the clock running wise either.

Was it worth it? Yes indeed. It will work long into the future and it will be a great experience every time you watch something on it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)