in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-02-2010 2:34 PM by soundproof. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2010 7:35 PM

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5s playing Vinyl?

I have recently jumped into playing vinyl and I am really enjoying the sound.  I currently have 2 tables set up, a Beogram 8002 w/MMC1 and a Thorens TD 125mkII with OL Live Silver and Shelter 901 cart connected to my Beosound 9000 via a JLTI Phono stage.  (BTW..the Beogram w mmc1 is bested slightly by the Thorens in most cases...except for ease of use, but it should be and the Thorens set up is 3x more expensive)

My current speaker set up is the Beolab 8000 & BL2 and I recently found a good deal on some Beolab 5s....which I have been drooling over for some time.   My question is, will the beolab 5s converting the signal to digital change the sound and defeat the purpose of playing vinyl in the first place?  I really like the analog sound....so I am hoping it will work well with the BL5s...any thoughts? 

-Dave

• 04-23-2010 8:33 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Beolab 5s playing Vinyl?

I think, if you like the sound of the BL5 you will like the sound of your records via BL5. 

I have a BS7000 with Beogram 7000 (MMC2) from a linkroom connected to AUX input of my BS9000 with BL5. For me the sound is just great. The sound will be send analog via Masterlink or Powerlink - depends on your setup - to BL5. Only CD sound is sent via spdif. So the digital conversion will be in the BL5. But you already have a digital ice power amp in your BL2. I love the BL2, but I think BL5 sounds smoother and more "musical" basswise.

But be aware you can hear everything (!) from your analog records on your BL5s, also sounds from analog sources we are not used to hear anymore in digital age....

BTW Congratulations to your BL5s

Stefan

• 04-23-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

I know what you mean but the answer is no. Beolab 5s can be regarded as active speakers and as such bear comparison with many other high end speakers. I have never seen any poor reviews when attached to a good source, your Thorens clearly being such a source. The weak link in your set up would probably be the Beosound 9000 as the pre-amp in this is of good but not outstanding quality. B&O no longer make what I would regard as a really high end Hi-Fi audio product - except the Beolab 5!

• 04-23-2010 11:55 PM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Thank you both for the replys! 

Looks like I will pull the trigger and get the BL5s!  Interesting about the Beosound 9000 being the weak link.... makes sense, but are there any  better alternative out there that in the B&O line?  Id rather not but a preamp and have to run the thick speaker wires etc.....but if its going to really hold back the BL5s I feel like i should go that route.

Again....thanks!

-Dave

• 04-24-2010 10:51 AM In reply to

DCI:

Thank you both for the replys! 

Looks like I will pull the trigger and get the BL5s!  Interesting about the Beosound 9000 being the weak link.... makes sense, but are there any  better alternative out there that in the B&O line?  Id rather not but a preamp and have to run the thick speaker wires etc.....but if its going to really hold back the BL5s I feel like i should go that route.

Again....thanks!

I mostly agree with Peter except to note that your phono amp is highly rated and hopefully should somewhat overcome the preamp in the BS9000. Having a record cleaner is important.  This is something you can get later but clean vinyl records do make a difference in the sound.

I have tested a turntable with a Beolab 5 setup and the sound was spectacular.  However pops and clicks did seemed more pronounced.

Beolab 5s are in my future later in the year.  I think those speakers are amazing.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-10-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Well the BL5s have arrived and I can say they sound great with vinyl!  These are some powerful speakers but the have great finesse as well, jazz sounds fantastic on them.  One thing I am eager to try is tube based phono stage with them.....but that is down the road.

-Dave

• 05-10-2010 7:30 PM In reply to

I just bought a TT 2 days ago with a tubed phono preamp. Running that into my BS9000 and then to the lab 5s.  I got the pro-ject genie 3 which is a really slick looking TT with a Bellari tubed phono preamp that has a USB out as well. 

I haven't had time to listen yet but after hearing DCI's praise I'm really looking foward to it.

Beolab 5, beolab 3, beolab 4000, beosound 9000

• 05-11-2010 5:47 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Peter: " B&O no longer make what I would regard as a really high end Hi-Fi audio product - except the Beolab 5! "

Beolab 3  & 9 are not to be regarded as high-end Hi-Fi?

• 05-11-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Beoinbuff, make sure you get a good cartridge, it can really make a difference. 

A denon 103 or a Dynavector 10X5 would be a good entry level start depending on your phono stages gain.  Enjoy!

-Dave

• 05-11-2010 1:59 PM In reply to

jc:

Peter: " B&O no longer make what I would regard as a really high end Hi-Fi audio product - except the Beolab 5! "

Beolab 3  & 9 are not to be regarded as high-end Hi-Fi?

I would probably say no - I am not sure ABL would be used in an audiophile product and the simple three position switch is a bit crude. Hi-Fi, yes. True top end, debatable.

• 05-18-2010 11:57 AM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has any advice on using another brand of preamp with the BL5? Im confused with the *must not exceed 2 V RMS...or optional attenuator is needed on line socket?  Was considering an EAR 864 pre.

Or, can I connect my Phono stage directly to the analoge inputs, and use the remote to change the speaker volume directly.

-Dave

• 05-18-2010 9:48 PM In reply to

BL5s take the analogue input, convert it to digital (via ADC), apply it's sound correction DSP stuff (DSP), then convert it back to analogue (DAC) to make the sound you hear.

Analogue -> ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> Amp/Cones

The ADC (Analogue Digital Conversion) used in the speakers can handle a 2VRMS signal only. Any more than this can lead to clipping/distortion. Having said that, some people do use 2.5VRMS etc. otuputting preamps without problem.

The line-level audio spec was supposed to be 2V RMS in all devices but in the world of consumer audio, grabbing attention is better so the signals are higher. Even CD-players, Blu-Ray etc. are often off the charts (I've seen 5.5V RMS on spec in a well regarded audiophile brand!).

The analogue audio output level should be in the spec sheet for your preamp or phono section.

If it's 2V RMS or less you should be right to connect it up.

Be careful with tube gear especially as 20V RMS max-out on a phono section isn't unusual (but then again some are at or under 2V RMS).

What phono preamp are you using?

• 05-19-2010 10:14 AM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

I have a JLti Phono stage, and I just picked up an EAR 834P tube based stage to try.  Both route through the Beosound 9000, I was thinking of getting a preamp with phono stage built in like the EAR 868 and getting rid of the BS9000.

Not sure what to do, I just want to maximize the potential of the BL5s and every review I see has them being run off of high quality preamps.

-Dave

• 06-18-2010 4:10 PM In reply to

• DCI
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-08-2009
    • Boston
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Just wanted to post my findings with the BL5 and a tube based phono stage.  I bought an EAR 834P, sent it out for a reccomended capacitor upgrade and added some NOS Mullard tubes....the result is nothing short of breath taking! 

These speakers are truly incredible, the sound stage is huge and 3D. On well engineered recordings you would swear there is a 3rd speaker in the center on the room and the vocalist is front and center, not coming from either speaker.  These old analog records will have you throwing the cds in the trash!  Back to spinning....

-Dave

• 06-18-2010 5:08 PM In reply to

Having recently gotten in to vinyl, with a new Clearaudio Concept TT, I was surprised about the sheer amount of $$$ you can spend on equipment.  If people think that B&O is expensive, check out the audiophile TT equipment.  $150,000 turntables, tonearms and needles that cost over $10,000....crazy!!

• 06-18-2010 5:35 PM In reply to

And snake oil costs $100,000 a litre!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-19-2010 5:32 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

And snake oil costs $100,000 a litre!

But that's very cheap in comparison to the ink for your printer

SCNR

iPoditiv

• 11-02-2010 2:13 PM In reply to

Just wanted to provide an update. I ended up replacing the pro-ject turntable with a VPI classic with a Benz Micro Glider cartridge. I kept the bellari tube preamplifier and have that running to the BS 9000 Aux.

The sound is truly what I've been seeking since I began this silly high end audio obsession. Warm, rich and totally non fatiguing. I'm 100% satisfied.

Now, as circumstances change, I may be moving to a house where I would utilize the beolab 5s and my beolab 3s along with the TV for a home theater/stereo system. I currently have the lab 5, 3, and my home theater system all in separate rooms. I have always wanted to use the 5s and 3s together but my current TV room is too small for that. I would assume that incorporating a beosystem 3 would be the best choice for this, right? I would also assume that I would see no depreciation in sound quality connecting the turntable to the beosystem 3 thru the phono preamplifier? Or is another solution better like getting a Mcintosh AV receiver with built in phono preamplifier. Is this even possible to do given the lab 5 volume adjustments need to be made thru the speakers themselves? Thanks for any input.

Beolab 5, beolab 3, beolab 4000, beosound 9000

• 11-02-2010 2:30 PM In reply to

Strange cycle: how a modern record is cut nowadays or the old discussion - analog versus digital :

1. Analog master tape

2. transfer to high resolution digital domain

3. cleaning and restoring in digital domain 

4. new analog master is cut from the digital signal

5. record is made

6. analog reproduction of the record - sound

7. this trough digital amplifiers of the BS5 

and keep in mind: the final product can never be better than the steps in between

• 11-02-2010 2:34 PM In reply to

I have a listening room with BL5s in front, configured so that they generate a phantom center channel, and with BL3s as my rear speakers, for surround and multichannel music. To be perfectly honest, the BL3s are a little overkill when used in this manner - you can get excellent results with BL4000s; but I thought it made sense to have acoustic lenses all around. I have tried BL4000s, and they worked very well even for the most action filled of movies.

If you disconnect your front speakers and just listen to the surround channels for a stretch through an action sequence, then you'll realize that you don't need very powerful speakers for surround - just as in a moviehouse: the speakers behind the movie screen are gigantic compared to the smaller surround units placed up on the walls in the cinema.

I occasionally play records through the BL5s, and get wonderful sound. A lot of people are under the misconception that BL5s are "digital and sharp" and that they won't be suitable for vinyl - and they get a fine surprise.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)