in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2010 6:23 AM by Michael. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2010 11:19 AM In reply to

Re: Universal Remotes

evman140:
    Does the 880 have a timer/wake up function by chance? do any of the harmonies have a feature like that?

What do you mean? The remote itself? Or do you mean to program timer settings in your BM4500?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-21-2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I'm pretty sure my BM does not have the timer function, first s/w version.

What I mean is: does the remote have the ability to turn on components at a desired time? -> waking me up like an alarm.

Like; CD, track 2 GO @ 6:00 AM? for example...

Evan

• 08-22-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

(Bump!)

Hey Jeff! Just picked up a new universal remote yesterday!

Not a harmony, but a step in the right direction, a Philips Prestigo (SRU 8112). I have cut out all of my remotes but one. Can you guess which one remains? Laughing

The TV, DVD and iPod were setup on screen, super easy. My Beo and other audio are manual "learn" entries. Nearly a whole afternoon's work! Stick out tongue

I have managed to get the Beo to work, however the remote needs to be within a foot of the beomaster! The Philips operates everything else from a great distance. Is there a reason for this?

I made the purchase based on the final status of the product, half price clearance!Big Smile

Evan

• 08-22-2010 12:04 PM In reply to

evman140:

I have managed to get the Beo to work, however the remote needs to be within a foot of the beomaster! The Philips operates everything else from a great distance. Is there a reason for this?

You have the incorrect or no carrier frequency. B&O uses a carrier frequency of 455 Khz and for almost all others products on the planet the carrier frequency will be between 20 and 80 Khz

Regards Keith....

• 08-22-2010 12:16 PM In reply to

It hurts me to see that people want a Universal Remote. Why? I'd rather have a B&O remote on the table (most people think it's beautifull) then a cheap plastic remote that 90% have on their table (they all look the same!, at least to me they do).

As stated above the price can not be the reason to buy a Universal Remote. So why a Universal when you can buy a true design remote that belongs to your tv?

• 08-22-2010 11:11 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I completely forgot about that, Keith. Thank you.

Lennaert:

It hurts me to see that people want a Universal Remote. Why? I'd rather have a B&O remote on the table (most people think it's beautifull) then a cheap plastic remote that 90% have on their table (they all look the same!, at least to me they do).

As stated above the price can not be the reason to buy a Universal Remote. So why a Universal when you can buy a true design remote that belongs to your tv?

Trust me, I'd rather use my Beo 4 (Yea, that's right, I've got one!) for everything, I really do like it - a lot. Especially when it is the most expensive remote I have ever purchased. In a setup containing several brands (In my case; excluding B&O, Panasonic, Toshiba, Yamaha, Magnavox and Apple), the Beo 4 cannot control them directly. However, indirectly, it can. Through a Lintronic box (the 238 I believe), the Beo 4 will control what I would like it to. This solution from Lintronic would cost me roughly $600. Adding that to the cost of my Beo 4, that brings the total theoretical investment to nearly $800. The same can be said about the Beo 5, hugely expensive. Price can certainly determine what I buy. For $40, I have elminated 5 of my 6 remotes.

I love the look, design and performance of B&O (...why I collect it!), but it will have to wait until I am out of school! LaughingYes -  thumbs up

Evan

• 08-23-2010 4:01 AM In reply to

It seems any time someone is looking for info here and a non-B&O device is mentioned, despite the logical arguments for the superior functionality of said device, someone comes and makes a comment that it is pure pro-B&O propaganda with no argument in favor of the usefulness of the aforementioned B&O device.

It's like some kind of beoworld Godwin's Law.  A prime example of this is this thread where a few overzealous B&O propagandists slammed every mention of 3rd party devices without actually making an argument in favor of a B&O device that would work better in the situation in question.

OBVIOUSLY, people here all have B&O devices.  OBVIOUSLY, everyone here likes their B&O devices except for the odd 2 post troll Bose Wavestation user.  Some people just occasionally might want to find out about using the best possible solution to integrate what they have into their B&O lifestyle.  Just occasionally that solution is not a B&O device.  Get over it.

Lennaert:

It hurts me to see that people want a Universal Remote. Why? I'd rather have a B&O remote on the tab

This was already answered earlier in the thread with:

I currently have a: BV7, Beocentre 2, PS3, XBOX360 and a  WDTV all nearly use their own remotes.

...and:

the Beo5/Lintronic will cost A LOT more and cost you hours and hours of setup time.  Just for a remote

...and:

My Logitech Harmony was $180 and controls everything I've tried..

Beo5 is close to $1000 and the Lintronic thing is about $500 so a better deal IMO

...and:

I paid in the ~$100USD range for mine... with (2) little ones... if they break -who cares? Buy another one -plug in the USB and download the config -back in business in less than 5 minutes!

...and:

I really like the config tool, and the Help button is great for SWMBO!!

...and:

I made the purchase based on the final status of the product, half price clearance!

• 08-23-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Silou:

or interfaces for BEO4:

http://homepage.bluewin.ch/revoxbeo/

Do these operate televisions?

It looks like I will need an interface for all of my devices Confused

Evan

• 08-23-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

evman140:
    I have managed to get the Beo to work, however the remote needs to be within a foot of the beomaster! The Philips operates everything else from a great distance.

Per Keith's response... likely the Philips product.

I have never experiences this w/ Logitech.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-23-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

evman140:
    I have managed to get the Beo to work, however the remote needs to be within a foot of the beomaster! The Philips operates everything else from a great distance.

I have never experienced this w/ Logitech.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 08-23-2010 11:43 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

evman140:

I have never experienced this w/ Logitech.

Drat.

Evan

• 08-23-2010 5:52 PM In reply to

There was a 'Magic Wand' remote control demonstrated on the UK 'Dragons Den' tonight. The 'inventors' got a big investment. Interestingly, it was a learning universal remote that could detect which way up it was and could control TVs or lights by waving it (like some of the remotes discussed in other threads including the Bickel and B&O's own supposed inventions/ patents.)) It cost £10 to have made and sells for £50 retail, £31 wholesale. It's already in production in large numbers. Here's one website selling it.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-23-2010 7:58 PM In reply to

dilznik:

It seems any time someone is looking for info here and a non-B&O device is mentioned, despite the logical arguments for the superior functionality of said device, someone comes and makes a comment that it is pure pro-B&O propaganda with no argument in favor of the usefulness of the aforementioned B&O device.

It's like some kind of beoworld Godwin's Law.  A prime example of this is this thread where a few overzealous B&O propagandists slammed every mention of 3rd party devices without actually making an argument in favor of a B&O device that would work better in the situation in question.

OBVIOUSLY, people here all have B&O devices.  OBVIOUSLY, everyone here likes their B&O devices except for the odd 2 post troll Bose Wavestation user.  Some people just occasionally might want to find out about using the best possible solution to integrate what they have into their B&O lifestyle.  Just occasionally that solution is not a B&O device.  Get over it.

Lennaert:

It hurts me to see that people want a Universal Remote. Why? I'd rather have a B&O remote on the tab

This was already answered earlier in the thread with:

I currently have a: BV7, Beocentre 2, PS3, XBOX360 and a  WDTV all nearly use their own remotes.

...and:

the Beo5/Lintronic will cost A LOT more and cost you hours and hours of setup time.  Just for a remote

...and:

My Logitech Harmony was $180 and controls everything I've tried..

Beo5 is close to $1000 and the Lintronic thing is about $500 so a better deal IMO

...and:

I paid in the ~$100USD range for mine... with (2) little ones... if they break -who cares? Buy another one -plug in the USB and download the config -back in business in less than 5 minutes!

...and:

I really like the config tool, and the Help button is great for SWMBO!!

...and:

I made the purchase based on the final status of the product, half price clearance!

Well said Yes -  thumbs up

We're all here because we love B&O, but unfortunately B&O doesn't solve every issue. Sometimes there's a better or cheaper way to achieve a result.

It doesn't make you a bad/inferior person by going down a different route just because it isn't B&O

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 08-25-2010 6:23 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

jldmelb:

We're all here because we love B&O, but unfortunately B&O doesn't solve every issue. Sometimes there's a better or cheaper way to achieve a result.

It doesn't make you a bad/inferior person by going down a different route just because it isn't B&O

+1

FYI, I also looked on my FLPR and couldn't see B&O codes on it.  But it can be programmed to learn any remote.

FLPR (pron. flipper) is an attachment to your ipod / iphone and it controls IR devices.  It operates all of my equipment.  I use it now in lieu of my pronto pro. 

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2