in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2010 10:09 AM by Evan. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2010 8:01 AM

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Alternative surround options?

Hello all

I have a problem, and I really hope someone of you experts have he answer. Today I have surrondsound with a Avant 32" DVD, beolab2, beolab6000 (front) and beolab4 (rear)  Besides that, I have a Beosound3000 and an integrated ML system in the house ... all very nice and perfect. But I want a larger screen, but I'm sorry to say, that I will not go for Beovision 10 ... way too expensive for my budget. I will go for a Samsung 40" together with a Blueray DVD.

Here comes my problem .... the surround sound !?!? How do I create surround sound with my Beolabs ? My wish is to keep it as b&O as possible, so my thoughts went for something crazy .. Is it possible to "build" a kind of "stand-alone surroundprocessor", using an original B&O surround module from a Beovision ?

Or do you guys have any recommedations on another solutions? .. other than keeping the Avant and save money for the Beovision 10 §:-)

Tommy 

Filed under:
  • 04-14-2010 8:11 AM In reply to

Re: Alternative surround options?

Hi Tommy.

I work in a B & O store and get asked this fairly often. You can use your BeoLab speakers in a non-B&O surround sound system but you will need to source a surround sound processor that has a line out (i.e. non-amplified).

The best person I find to speak to about this is Steve @ Sounds Heavenly (there is a link at the bottom of this page i think). Give hima call or email and he will be able to help you out tremendously. I know he has helped me with various problems.

You will also need a center channel I would guess.

Good luck

Dave

Dave

• 04-14-2010 9:13 AM In reply to

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Just sent a mail to steve §:-)

I would really like B&O to offer a stand-alone processor, even though it of course would compete with their own TV's.

• 04-14-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

tv800:

I would really like B&O to offer a stand-alone processor, even though it of course would compete with their own TV's.

They do... BS3

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-14-2010 9:30 AM In reply to

Hi Tommy, have you thought about any of the TV's Lifestyle AV have for sale? Many of those come with surround sound modules along with huge savings on a new TV price?

Regards,
    Cal

• 04-14-2010 3:44 PM In reply to

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Yes but isn't the BS3 more a sophiticated stage Manager with endless options ... than a surroundprocessor? I don't need options for projektor, controlling curtains and a built-in expressomaschine .......... I just need a surroundprocessor, just like the optionel surround-module that can  be built in the BeoVisions ....

• 04-15-2010 5:21 AM In reply to

The BS3 is a very expensive surround processor and would be overkill for what you need.  Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options.  I have a 55" Samsung because I wasn't interested in the B&O Tv prices.  So, I went with an older (US only) BS1.  It is big and clunky, but does the job for me and I got it quite cheap.

Probably your best bet is to get a surround processor from a manufacturer or a receiver with a pre-amp output.  Like someone above said you just need the pre-amp outs and then you will run RCA lines to the Beolabs or get an RCA to powerlink adapter.  There is one problem with this setup, however.  Since the Beolabs will go to standby when they don't get a signal, the rear surrounds will sometimes click on and off during a movie if they do not get any signals in the surround channels.  This wouldn't happen so much with an action movie but like dramas, etc where all the info is in the front speakers it may be an annoying issue.

• 04-15-2010 2:15 PM In reply to

Look around for a BS 1 or BS 2 there are often some floating around at dealers etc

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 04-15-2010 2:34 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

macjonny1:

The BS3 is a very expensive surround processor and would be overkill for what you need.  Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options.  I have a 55" Samsung because I wasn't interested in the B&O Tv prices.  So, I went with an older (US only) BS1.  It is big and clunky, but does the job for me and I got it quite cheap.

Probably your best bet is to get a surround processor from a manufacturer or a receiver with a pre-amp output.  Like someone above said you just need the pre-amp outs and then you will run RCA lines to the Beolabs or get an RCA to powerlink adapter.  There is one problem with this setup, however.  Since the Beolabs will go to standby when they don't get a signal, the rear surrounds will sometimes click on and off during a movie if they do not get any signals in the surround channels.  This wouldn't happen so much with an action movie but like dramas, etc where all the info is in the front speakers it may be an annoying issue.

All you have to connect is the pre outs? Thats it? Does the signal and volume control go through the same wire? I have always wanted to know how a non B&O reciever and Labs connect. That seems too simpleHmm

Evan

• 04-15-2010 3:15 PM In reply to

evman140:

All you have to connect is the pre outs? Thats it? Does the signal and volume control go through the same wire? I have always wanted to know how a non B&O reciever and Labs connect. That seems too simpleHmm

No volume control at all. When you connect to the line input on the Beolabs, they are basically blasting at full volume all the time - you control the volume with what you feed to them. That is why you need a preamp with controlled volume outputs.

There may be issues with ground loops if/when the Beolabs get their power from a different mains socket than the amp. This might cause a mains hum that prevents the speakers from turning off.

-mika

• 04-15-2010 5:26 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

evman140:

No volume control at all. When you connect to the line input on the Beolabs, they are basically blasting at full volume all the time - you control the volume with what you feed to them. That is why you need a preamp with controlled volume outputs.

There may be issues with ground loops if/when the Beolabs get their power from a different mains socket than the amp. This might cause a mains hum that prevents the speakers from turning off.

I always thought that a pre-out carried a simple line out signal...? So if the pre-outs do not carry the volume control, what does that? And to try and further understand - what is the difference between pre-outs and volume controlled outputs?

I hope this is also helping those who originally asked!Wink

Evan

• 04-16-2010 12:52 AM In reply to

I looked into this extensively before I purchased my BS1, and the only issue you will have is the potential for the rear surrounds to click on and off during quiet times of the movie.  I have discussed personally this question with someone who has a relatively cheap DENON receiver with pre-outs and it works fine for them.  Yes, the pre-outs on the surround and other receivers will give you volume control.  Below is an excerpt of a discussion I had with Steve from SoundsHeavenly.com, who also apparently doesn't use a B&O surround receiver:

From Steve:

The only downside with a non-B&O receiver is that the Beolab speakers will be running in "Line" mode, so they will click back to standby if they don't hear any sound for 3 minutes (but not a problem if you're an action-movie fan like me!) They will click on again as soon as the sound starts again. This tends to affect the rear channels most, I have a Trigger Box that I can supply to counteract this problem (and this also allows the use of Powerlink cables with a non-B&O source), but this is for UK/European use only, as it does not work on the power supply in USA - sorry!"

One important piece of information is that this applies to Beolabs with a line mode, and as such would not apply to the BL2 and the BL7.2/7.4/7.6 centers, among possibly others.

• 04-16-2010 3:29 AM In reply to

evman140:

I always thought that a pre-out carried a simple line out signal...? So if the pre-outs do not carry the volume control, what does that? And to try and further understand - what is the difference between pre-outs and volume controlled outputs?

I'll explain in another way Smile There is no volume control whatsoever in the Beolabs, no matter how they are connected. They are always at 100% full volume. Even if they have a display for the volume, it only displays the volume setting of the receiver, nothing changes in the speaker itself when you adjust the volume.

Yes, the preamp outs are line level, but they need to be variable - or volume controlled - line level, so that the signal level goes down with the volume control of the receiver. This is opposed to fixed line level, such as the tape rec outs.

I'm sure I've seen a silly amp/receiver or two which had the volume (and tone) controls AFTER the preamp to power amp links. These would be useless with active speakers without some other means of adjusting the volume. Same problem arises when you try to connect external active speakers directly to (non-B&O) TV sets. Sadly most of them only offer fixed level line outputs.

-mika

• 04-16-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

tournedos:

evman140:

I'll explain in another way Smile There is no volume control whatsoever in the Beolabs, no matter how they are connected. They are always at 100% full volume. Even if they have a display for the volume, it only displays the volume setting of the receiver, nothing changes in the speaker itself when you adjust the volume.

Yes, the preamp outs are line level, but they need to be variable - or volume controlled - line level, so that the signal level goes down with the volume control of the receiver. This is opposed to fixed line level, such as the tape rec outs.

I'm sure I've seen a silly amp/receiver or two which had the volume (and tone) controls AFTER the preamp to power amp links. These would be useless with active speakers without some other means of adjusting the volume. Same problem arises when you try to connect external active speakers directly to (non-B&O) TV sets. Sadly most of them only offer fixed level line outputs.

Okay, that makes sense. My curiosity comes from me being pretty partial to those Japanese boxes(So much tech!!! Big Smile). None of the ones I have are new enough to have these pre-outs and things. I just think it will be the only way to afford B&O speaks, at least for a while. I really appreciate the explanations guys!

Evan

• 04-17-2010 1:45 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Peter Pan from the danish forum has a lot of threads about connecting Beolabs to non-Beo equipment. You can try and google translate his thread for full info. Some of the text is embedded in the pictures though, but if you want I can translate it for you.

To recap some of it, a cable like this can be made:

Here a powerlink MK.III plug is seen where the green and red wires are the right and left signal and the blue is digital ground.
    The yellow wire is the trigger signal, and needs to be between 2,5V and 6V, which means you can use a USB port for example. Some surround receivers have trigger outputs, but these are normally 12V. These can be downconverted to 5V easily using a 7805 voltage regulator or a zener diode and a resistor. 

• 04-17-2010 7:58 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I have spent alot of time ooking over peter pan's thread, very useful stuff! I appreciae you're offer to help. I will definitely bring all of this up again when I am closer to getting a new setup, thanks!

Evan

• 04-17-2010 9:16 PM In reply to

Is it necessary to make the upgrade right now? There may be something for you in the future...

Whistle

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-18-2010 6:25 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I've been watching this topic with interest. I've had my B&O for several years but have only just realised that if my Avant dies then buying a non B&O tv would be so problematic with regards to my surround/Lab 2 set-up. The Beosystem 3 is ridiculously priced and I dont think any of the new BeoVisions are worth it.

• 04-18-2010 9:46 AM In reply to

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

To TripEnglish:

Is it necessary to make the upgrade right now? There may be something for you in the future...

Whistle

??!?!?!????......

That comment can not stand alone!! .... PLLEEEEEASE tell some more ..... no not "please" .. You HAVE to tell more! §:-)

• 04-20-2010 7:05 AM In reply to

• tv800
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-15-2008
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

??!?!?!????......

That comment can not stand alone!! .... PLLEEEEEASE tell some more ..... no not "please" .. You HAVE to tell more! §:-)

• 04-21-2010 10:09 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

Whistle

Definitely not now, my first real big ticket purchase probably wont be until 2015 at its earliest [:'(]Laughing

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)