in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2011 3:29 PM by Opman. 55 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2010 12:53 PM

• Raeven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-03-2007
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Beocom 5 quality in general

I just receive a BeoCom 5 with table speaker (and Beocom 5 base-station). First of all there is no mentioning of the IP or the VOIP possibility, the only evidence is the small connector on the base-station. So I have no clue if or how VOIP works. Secondly is the quality of the sound and microphone on the handset very poor. But the worse part is after app 5 min speaking on the phone the line gets really bad   and the after 10 to 15 sec it gets better. On the same base station I use the "oilder" 6000 handset without a problems
    This the again a B&O product I bought directly after launch were the are all kind of problems.
    My question to the forum is do you see the same with the new B&O products  always problems at introduction and in general worse quality than in the past?

This is a message of a 20 year b&O fan

• 04-12-2010 4:13 PM In reply to

Re: Beocom 5 quality in general

Beocom5 is particularly dreadful. The speaker base just DOES NOT WORK (as you describe). It is impossible to hold a conversation through the speakerphone. This was SUPPOSED to be solved with the new release of software, but it made no difference at all. Other issues with the handset were not solved by the software release either. The dealer has taken my Beocom5 kit back for a full refund. He also was appalled at the shear insincerity of B&O to release a product like that, which annoys customers and embarasses dealers.

My Beocom 6000s continue to work perfectly. The only problem I have with them is that if I have a (non-B&O) speakerphone plugged into the same telephone outlet, it intermittently "steals" the caller-id information first and the 6000 doesn't receive it. This is why I was so pleased at the announcement of the Beocom5 speakerphone... and so disappointed that it is useless. I have fitted a switch on the connection for the speaker phone, so that I only switch it through if I need the speaker. At all other times the 6000s are perfect.

Juan Herrero

• 04-12-2010 4:39 PM In reply to

The BeoCom 5 is no VoIP phone. You will need an ATA in order  to have it connect through the Internet (together with a VoIP subscription)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 04-13-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

Karel is right. Calling Beocom5 a VOIP phone is misleading and B&O shouldn't do that. The base has two standard analog line-in sockets, and that's it.

• 04-13-2010 4:33 AM In reply to

I have a feeling that early in the development cycle it was supposed to have VoIP features, but they ran out of time and/or resources (which seems to happen with every B&O product that involves software) and now the mention of it just refuses to die.

Siemens has some great PSTN+VoIP (SIP) phones that work extremely reliably, so the technology is ripe enough. If just the handsets weren't such plastic abominations...

-mika

• 04-13-2010 10:40 AM In reply to

i'm wondering when we can expect a software update..........this is insane for that kind of money.  

• 04-13-2010 10:57 AM In reply to

I've said it before... Big Smile

*I* wish they simply would have added speaker capability to the BeoCom1/6000 handset... and made it retrofittable!

B&o did not need to dive into this crazy new phone... esp if it was to be their last land line product ever!

Go out gracefully...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-13-2010 11:00 AM In reply to

Can we get a refundSuper Angry

• 04-13-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

koning:

Can we get a refundSuper Angry

What a shame...

I see Mika is on this thread... and he likes to experiment!

What do you think, Mika... Am I crazy or do you think I could get the speaker in a 6000 to act in a "hands free" mode? In my typical "hammer and chisel" approach... seems like it would fly?!?!?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-13-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

My favourite kind of experiment: I come up with something and somebody else uses it to break his kit Laughing

Frankly I only own a Beocom 1600 and don't even use that. But the hands-free speakerphone function requires local echo cancellation to function useably... I'm sure it's implemented in software in these kind of phones so there's not much you can do to retrofit it.

-mika

• 04-13-2010 3:13 PM In reply to

Forgive me if I'm wrong, since I don't own one, but don't the Beocom 2400/2500 have speakerphone capability? I saw an eBay listing for one once and the seller mentioned "speakerphone" as one of the features...

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 04-13-2010 3:55 PM In reply to

Looking at the user manual, seems they do; lesser models only have a speaker function. I'm not sure how (or how well) it is implemented - it is easier when the speaker is in the handset as well, so the distance between the speaker and mic stays fixed. Maybe the mic is just very directional in these, as the manual instructs to place the handset on the table on its side, facing away from the base.

-mika

• 04-13-2010 4:58 PM In reply to

you literally take the handset off the phone and place it in front of the main unit, works fairly well in my experience!

• 04-25-2010 5:32 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hello

I was in a B&O shop yesterday and had the opportunity to see and hold this Beocom 5. I thought that it was a really nice piece. I am looking right now for a new wireless phone. Since we have a B&O system at home, we choose between Beocom 5, Beocom 6000 or Beocom 2. If our eyes would choose, we would buy Beocom 2. However, my dealer who always seems to be right, tell us that Beocom 2 does not really work in the long run. It will after a while be very ugly due to scratches in the aluminium (we have children and stone surfaces). Beocom 6000 seems to be a very good phone, not very good looking but is doing the job. He does not know soo much about this new phone yet. Since I liked the look of Beocom 5 and it could be our next B&O candidate to buy, I must ask this eminent forum if this phone is something to buy. I understood that the bad opinions above concerns the speaker facilities. If we buy the phone without this speaker, is it still bad comparing to Beocom 6000?

I would appreciate to hear your opinions about this

Have a nice Sunday

Clakke

• 04-25-2010 5:59 AM In reply to

Don't buy it (at this moment)

It's terrible.

Bang & Olufsen  Shame you!!

• 04-25-2010 6:05 AM In reply to

Hi Clakke,

the speaker is actually the only reason for buying the Beocom5, that's the only thing which is really beautiful and seems to work okay. If you don't buy the speaker I think the Beocom 6000 is the better option because it works absolutely flawlessly.

- Beocom5 has connection problems, it sometimes drops off or has a distorted connection, the 6000 doesn't

- The Beocom 5 battery life is shorter than in the specs, never noticed with the Beocom 6000

- Sometimes, the sound is extremely low on the Beocom 5, and you have to reboot it. Never with the Beocom 6000

- The Beocom 6000 handset is more robust and easier to clean

- People say the Beocom 5 sometimes has a hissing noise (not mine though)

- The only things the Beocom 5 can do better than the 6000: Speakerphone, bigger screen, 2 lines

Hope this helps

Ralf

• 04-25-2010 9:12 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ralf and Koning

Thank you for your answers.

I seem to got it wrong then, it seems to be the phone itself and not the speaker that is bad. I thought it was the opposite. I guess the odds for Beocom 5 does not look good now. The perfect wireless phone would of course come from Apple, so that the contacts were the same as in iPhone. We may however never see such a beauty, or?

Any more views about Beocom 5?

Clakke

• 04-25-2010 9:23 AM In reply to

Actually, you got it right both times - the Beocom5 phone itself is poor, and the speaker is much worse. The 6000 is  wonderful - my 10+ year old 6000s are and always have been working perfectly. The 2 looks very smart in the living room, but not ideal for everywhere in the house (eg not great for kitchen or bedroom).

Juan Herrero

• 04-25-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

juanherrero:

Actually, you got it right both times - the Beocom5 phone itself is poor, and the speaker is much worse. The 6000 is  wonderful - my 10+ year old 6000s are and always have been working perfectly. The 2 looks very smart in the living room, but not ideal for everywhere in the house (eg not great for kitchen or bedroom).

Hi

Looks even worse for Beocom 5 then...

Are there anybody that is satisfied?

Clakke

• 04-25-2010 12:34 PM In reply to

all software problems.

But for that kind of money ridiculous.

• 05-16-2010 4:01 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

What's the latest software version?

Mine is: 1.70 (handset and charger)

• 05-16-2010 4:13 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I was told by a London-based dealer this week that all BeoCom 5 sw problems are now fixed? He said he's been using it for a week or two within a single issue.

Is this correct? New sw release, perhaps? I was going to pull the trigger on a couple of BeoCom 5's for the office the other day, but didn't bother due to the advice on here!

• 05-16-2010 5:25 AM In reply to

If you use the beoline2 then everything is 'fine'.

• 05-16-2010 5:30 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello everybody!

I bought my BC5 in March, and did not experience the problems you describe.

I use it with 2 lines, one classic landline and one Internet line through my provider's box.

I really appreciate the speakerphone, loud and clear.

The phone's ring is a little bit weak, but I hear it.

One detail: I usually take the speakerphone from one room to another, and the unplugging/plugging of the speaker is a bit tricky.

Have a nice week-end,

Yann. 

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 05-16-2010 5:32 AM In reply to

Wich base do you use Yann

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >