in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2012 4:33 PM by bayerische. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2010 6:21 AM

Ipad. What use is it?

As the Ipad is now out in the US I thought I would ask what they actually are. Why do you need one. What does it do that an Iphone can't. I know it has a bigger screen but it has no camera or phone so what is its use apart from being a big heavy thing to cart around.

• 04-05-2010 6:27 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Ipad. What use is it?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-05-2010 6:46 AM In reply to

One way of thinking about it ... is to not let it out of the house, so you don't need a 3G data plan, in which case it is relatively inexpensive and can be used as a very simple device to consume content ... no longer does SWMBO need to print internet recipes, she just has an iPad in the kitchen . . . . 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 04-05-2010 6:48 AM In reply to

Could make an excellent MCP.....Whistle

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-05-2010 7:10 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

rayfenwick:

Could make an excellent MCP.....Whistle

AgreedSmile

I think the iPad has a large market as a wireless controller in general - it will make a really good controller for DAW's/soft synths etc. and I would be surprised if some studios don't have several lying about in the weeks/months to come. Watch out for the iPad's first appearance in a music video/band performance near you!

It could also replace the "coffee table" book where visitors can pick it up and "browse" etc.

Can I think of a use (for me) outside the home - not really, if I'm working I'll have my (more versatile) laptop, if not I wouldn't be carting something that large about with me.

We need to see apps where the iPad is the best device for the application rather than "because it can" type apps.

At the moment I think it's an "additional" device, in that it's not a solution to anything on it's own and as such, once the initial "queueing round the block to get one" has died down it'll be interesting to see for what purpose folk are buying them.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-05-2010 7:29 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Apparently one of the biggest downloads on day one was "Scrabble"Sad

• 04-05-2010 8:22 AM In reply to

My iPad was delivered Saturday and I am, quite simply, thrilled with it. Our Macbook Pro suddenly seems big and clumsy and outdated. All operations on it are extremely simple. The size is wonderful for portability. I find it much more comfortable to be on the internet with it in hand instead of the Macbook in my lap.

I have found four uses for it at work already. 1. the notepad function is brilliant and obviously easier to type on than on an iPhone. 2. The Dragon dictation software for it works brilliantly.  I will now be dictating and making some minor edits to documents on it and emailing to the person who does my typing to finalize the format. 3. I have also found an app which allowed me to install books I need for work that take up almost two feet of shelf space as books, but are all now on the iPad and easier to search and read and can have with me at all times. 4. I have installed large documents for work on it allowing me to attend meetings without bringing large amounts of paperwork or a bulky laptop with. The documents are actually easier to read on the iPad as the touch screen allows one to flip through the pages back and forth much like a book.

The Calendar on it in conjunction with MobileMe is sublime.

The interface for using it as an iPad is spectacular. I have noticed on the Apple store a stand/docking station that has connections built in for powered speakers. iPad and pair of Beolab 4s and  one would have a brilliant cheaper alternative to a Beosound 5. (sound quality and storage capacity of course may be issues for some)

The map program which includes full 3d images of metropolitan areas is incredible. I was able to go to the hotel we stay at in Chicago, spin the view around 360 degrees and see everything as well as looking directly up at the sky, and then walk down the street, turn at corners etc, and at any point stop and again have 360 degree views.

It has exceeded my expectations.  Last night I showed it to a friend of mine who has a dedicated home theater (non-B and O) in his basement, raised seating etc, and also is an Apple fan/user. When I talked to him on the phone he said that an iPad was not something he would be purchasing anytime soon, other things he wanted/needed more. After I showed it to him, however, he turned to his wife and told her they need to order one.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 04-05-2010 9:00 AM In reply to

I'm waiting on the 3G model personally, but I've had some good hands on time with it and it meets my expectations perfectly. I spend a lot of time on foot in the city for work and play and am at job sites 3-4 days out of the week where I need access to calendars, documents, note-taking, etc. My MacBook Air has been my constant companion and a lifesaver in my quest to shed weight from my briefcase, but the iPad will be even more ideal.

So much of my life is walking around referring to things on a clip-board and taking notes and I've had to deal with printouts and legal pads because I can't really walk around with an open laptop. The iPad will make much of my work very streamlined.

Also, I was keenly interested in the keyboard and found that I can type just as well and just as fast on the touch keyboard as on the Air. It's phenomenal. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-05-2010 9:12 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It's interesting that most, if not all, of those that work in the field of ergonomics have listed many potential issues in using the device for extended periods.

• 04-05-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

beaker:

As the Ipad is now out in the US I thought I would ask what they actually are. Why do you need one. What does it do that an Iphone can't. I know it has a bigger screen but it has no camera or phone so what is its use apart from being a big heavy thing to cart around.

Need?  I don't need an iPad.  I want an iPad!  However I do agree that how its going to be used is a good question.  For me it will probably never leave home.  I have decided I will use it for reading books, occasionally for music, reading newspapers, and viewing photos.  I already have an iPhone which I take everywhere and will continue to use my Macbook when traveling. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-05-2010 1:06 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

beaker:

As the Ipad is now out in the US I thought I would ask what they actually are. Why do you need one.

For me, quick client demos. I have to drag my MacBook Pro to various meetings around London, when it would be far easier to grab the iPad, load up the web pages I need to demo/show and just pass them the iPad! It's much lighter than my MBP, so taking it with me will be easy, plus the 10-hour battery life means I don't need the adapter. That can be left at home.

I can imagine architects, designers and so on will feel the same - just bring the iPad, show them your designs. Easy.

• 04-05-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

I'm waiting on the 3G model personally...

Yep, same here. The number of times I've been on a site visit where I can't get WiFi/network access, is incredible. Turned up with my MBP and not able to do a demo as I have no net access.

• 04-05-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

No doubt about having the 3G version adds many benefits. I have a 3G ordered also so that my wife can have one too. She wanted 3G more than I did so she gets that one. If I need 3G on a given day we can trade but did not want to pay for 3G service on two iPads.

• 04-05-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I see there are reports of poor wireless signal performance compared to iPhones & macbooks with constant drop outs etc.

Any owners here noticed a poorer signal strength??

• 04-05-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

I read the reports too. I used one in the store, it was blazing fast and for sure didn't have wifi issues.

I am thinking there might be some incompatible wifi equipment ..... I wouldn't worry too much, by the Time it's available in Europe I would think the first fixes will be released.

I am still fighting not to buy it but know I will soon even though it has all these disadvantages, no blue tooth headset support for skype, no file system, no flash ....... Websurfing was awesome 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-05-2010 5:37 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

My iPad signal meter shows a lesser wifi connection than my iPhone GS, but the web page speed is lightning.....and I am not one to brag on Apple.  I would have waited for the 3G model, but unwilling to spend another $30 per month for data access. 

My first reaction to the look was of a miniature BeoVision 10 knock-off with smooth edges.  Surprisingly robust (heavy).  iTunes 9 much improved for my taste: almost tolerable.

It will be very interesting to see what media sources Apple allows to play in its sandbox.   

• 04-05-2010 6:31 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

My being in the same line of work as TripEnglish, and an avowed Apple Kool-Aid® drinker, you can anticipate my general reaction.

However, I have stated categorically that I will not be an early adopter... that I am interested in the 3G model, that despite the inclusion of iWork software at launch, I need to see other, compelling software which makes the iPad a perfect step down from a laptop (which I do not own).  So, of course, today I come across the following article...ignore the rest to begin, and check out the AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro demo....  Can I hold out until the end of August?  

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/05/ipad-apps-things-square-sketchbook-pro-warpgate-magic-piano/

No, I'm not an artist...but I think this makes the case that compelling, iPad specific, software is coming. 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 04-05-2010 6:51 PM In reply to

I have had no problem with wifi, seems very fast, but so far have only used in our house and a friends house.

• 04-05-2010 6:58 PM In reply to

jk1002:

no blue tooth headset support for skype, no file system, no flash ....... Websurfing was awesome 

Bluetooth headsets are supported according to the Apple page, do they not work with Skype however?

• 04-05-2010 7:17 PM In reply to

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=314311&st=40

There is also a blog posting on their site, I picked up on it in the comments.

• 04-05-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890366

• 04-05-2010 7:31 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

I noticed that in weak WiFi areas, it does not hold the signal as good as my laptop and freaquently drops out. I also bought a dock thinking that I could connect my BeoLab 4 PC speaker. But the dock only has a line-out so you dont have volume control and would only be useable when connected to a stereo system. You could of course connect speakers via the headphone jack, but that solution is not very elegant.

Christian

• 04-05-2010 9:45 PM In reply to

Can't the volume control on the iPad be used.

• 04-05-2010 10:18 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Not when speakers are connected directly to the line-out socket of the iPad Dock. Only when connected to the headphone socket on the iPad can I use volume controll.

• 04-06-2010 4:15 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

It will generate billions in revenue and for a company that is in the free market, thats pretty useful.

Although out of the reach technically for B&O to achieve, at least one small music company Cowon have tried to compete with an alternative. Although as it is a little half cocked it is probably a good example of, if you can't compete then don't. With their MP3 players i believe Cowon are doing exactly what B&O should have tried to do to enter this massive market. The best sound possible and beautiful design.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/29/cowon-s9-review/

Chris

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >