in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-10-2010 10:35 PM by elephant. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2010 12:36 PM In reply to

Re: B&O doesnt recommend MasterLink anymore, the recommend CAD 7 cables for your house ???

csmager:

I think the point is that CAT5/6 might work over small distances for ML/PL, but over greater distances and for future HD video usage, CAT5/6 will likely prove inadequate. 

If you had the opportunity to rewire your house, you'd be daft not to use CAT7 if you had any intention of sticking with B&O.

I'd like to caution against this type of thinking. Csmanger is correct to warn against any other structured cabling installation other than Cat7. 

If you think in terms of "what can I get away with" as far as short distances and basic ML Bus activities you're going to put yourself in a position where the full distribution and matrixing of 1080p+ video will not work and you'll end up reinstalling some or all of your infrastructure. Besides, why would you buy a spool of Cat6 and a spool of Cat7 in the first place? 

The whole point is "one cable does it all" which makes it easier, cheaper, and tidier. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-05-2010 5:20 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Re: B&O doesnt recommend MasterLink anymore, the recommend CAD 7 cables for your house ???

Sure, if you have the chance to start from the beginning, use CAT7 cabling, it should be about the same prize as CAT5/CAT6. So did we five years ago.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 04-05-2010 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: B&O doesnt recommend MasterLink anymore

I know someone who buys Cat5e HD Switchers from Tradestech for many years, and he has installed their HD Maxtrix switches in lots of homes, up to 50mt guaranteed for Cat5e, up to 65mt with Cat6, and obviously for longer runs Cat7, but the cost difference between Cat5, 6 and 7 is so tiny now, that for new installations it only makes sense to use Cat7

HD Distribution over Cat7 article by experts who have hundreds of dealers around the world using their "Matrix Switches"

• 04-10-2010 10:35 PM In reply to

Re: B&O doesnt recommend MasterLink anymore

ouverture:
    HD Distribution over Cat7 article by experts who have hundreds of dealers around the world using their "Matrix Switches"

Thanks for the article

The 4x4 seems affordable with attractive features (IR passthrough)

I was amused by the conclusion

The Full HD distribution market will always be strong in the high-end residential custom installation environment. Clients now demand the very best the market has to offer for their 103" 1080p deep colour displays ......

:D

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2