in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-09-2010 9:17 AM by beoblok. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2010 3:44 AM

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

B&O iPhone App Launched TODAY!!

BeoLink the new iPhone App is available to download from the itunes store today!!

Now all you need to do is rush out and get a MasterLink Gateway!!

I'm off to program mine now! Cool

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 03-31-2010 3:50 AM In reply to

Re: B&O iPhone App Launched TODAY!!

• 03-31-2010 4:19 AM In reply to

Got it!!

• 03-31-2010 4:22 AM In reply to

Pretty cool, but no point getting it, I'm not going to spend ~2000e to get it working. Big Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 03-31-2010 4:48 AM In reply to

There is a demo mode, so it is worth downloading it, just for having a look.

It is a very cool app.

The clever bit is that they use gestures, so you can use it without looking at the iPhone screen, for the most common functions.

(The less clever bit: no 2 way display on the remote, no BM5/BS5 playlist navigtion on the phone, no TV channel list/logo, but I am sure that'll come later)

p.

• 03-31-2010 5:22 AM In reply to

Go on - and stop you buying a beo5? I don't think so! Laughing As I said before, this is a nobbled application - no doubt some clever chap will do an unofficial one that will work everything properly at some time!

• 03-31-2010 5:24 AM In reply to

Well, if you don't buy a Beo5 but buy a 2000 euro MLGW instead they win...

• 03-31-2010 6:00 AM In reply to

Downloaded the App and played with the demo mode... The typewriter sound when pressing a button is just sooo annoying! They could have at leased used the sound of the Beo5 for that! The gesture controle... don't know.. Would need to use it in real life in order to make up my mind... It's a good start though.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 03-31-2010 7:10 AM In reply to

Sounds good !

MLGW and a Beo4 could control anything in the house which receive IR or RF codes ?

Mat

• 03-31-2010 7:19 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

have been working B&O via iPhone using control4 for some time now. we work CCTV, lighting, iPod dock works great!

• 03-31-2010 7:30 AM In reply to

Good news and a new ERA for all B&O enthusiasts!

The Beo4 will become obsolete.......

Regards, Robert

• 03-31-2010 8:55 AM In reply to

matbkk:
    MLGW and a Beo4 could control anything in the house which receive IR or RF codes ?

Beo5 is recommended with MLGW.

MLGW does interface with a home automation systems to control appliances, but usually not through IR or RF.

p.

• 03-31-2010 11:19 PM In reply to

A nice little app with a limited number of new (to me) interface elements; I find the + - and < > cross slider creative, tasteful, and easy to use.

Goes to show B&O still can innovate in interface design.

On the Scenes light and shades control area, I am disappointed they elected to go with a Lutron seeTouch visual paradigm.  We have a B&O Lutron Grafik Eye installation at home and therefore the correct visual paradigm is the Lutron Grafik Eye.  Besides, multi-color yellow/blue/red/green Grafik Eye beats boring monochrome seeTouch, IMHO.

I forget how much I paid for my BeoPort; say for argument's sake that it was $500.  If B&O were to sell a box I could just plug into my ML network and enable Wi-Fi control from my iPhone for about the same $500 quid, I'd buy it immediately.  Overpriced for a box with Wi-Fi receiver and ML integration just so we can use any old iPhone as yet another Beo4 susbtitute?  Sure, but it's par for the course, so OK!

Now imagine you are in a couch reading a favorite book on you iPad and feel like some music.  Activate N.MUSIC from the BeoLink app on your iPad, alter the volume, perhaps, and go back to your book without even having to stretch over to the coffee table to grab your Beo4.  Now that would be cool! Smile

• 03-31-2010 11:30 PM In reply to

The likelihood of someone having a Grafik Eye as the primary lighting interface paired with an MLGW is very low. Users are either going to be using RA or HomeWorks in which case SeeTouch will be the familiar interface. In addition to that fact, the SeeTouch is intuitive to use regardless, whereas the Grafik Eye simply looks cool sitting in the wall.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-01-2010 4:30 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Questions:

What is the necessity for a home automation with the combination of lighting ala radio ra 2. ..a MLGW. . .and iphone/ipad control of your B&O products?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 04-01-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

No necessity whatsoever.  Extra convenience only.

• 04-01-2010 4:54 PM In reply to

mjmedlo:

Questions:

What is the necessity for a home automation with the combination of lighting ala radio ra 2. ..a MLGW. . .and iphone/ipad control of your B&O products?

FWIW...

Ikatu is actually behind the dev of the app as they also did the MLGW... Here is the app's page.

While some say that B&o was listening to the Apple fanatics... to me it is more a sign that they are willing to outsource more of the SW.

Thank you Struer.

Here is a video of the app in action.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-01-2010 5:44 PM In reply to

I think most of B&O's customers are demanding this kind of product.  Since I have B&O products in more than one room and am too lazy to rise out of the chair to turn off the lights, I will definitely want this!

Jaff...Outsourcing is a way of life for many companies.  I have been involved in many outsourcing projects like this.  Often many people think outsourcing is just an inexpensive way to avoid hiring developers but for many companies, they have very narrow requirements which means its doesn't make sense to do it in house.  What is unusual is for the company doing the project to be identified.  The instructional videos are awful.  I hope B&O has better instructional materials being developed.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-01-2010 10:17 PM In reply to

linder:
    Jaff...Outsourcing is a way of life for many companies.  I have been involved in many outsourcing projects like this.  Often many people think outsourcing is just an inexpensive way to avoid hiring developers but for many companies, they have very narrow requirements which means its doesn't make sense to do it in house.  What is unusual is for the company doing the project to be identified.  The instructional videos are awful.  I hope B&O has better instructional materials being developed.

I agree...

My take is not that is "inexpensive" but rather that B&o may finally be placing some level of SW development in more capable hands...

While the ultimate results are yet to play out... I think that Ikatu's involvement and assistance in development of not just the app, but the MLGW itself are steps in the right direction.

My fingers are crossed!

Regarding the vid(s)... they are what they are: GEEK on GEEK instructionals for installers... I don't think they were intended as "polished" sales material... something that B&o proper... is the best at producing!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-02-2010 5:01 AM In reply to

But what about the "Bikkel" ? Laughing

Seriously, it's great that B&O are recognizing Apple's existence. I think only good is to follow from this.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 04-02-2010 9:23 AM In reply to

This app with the iPhone is what the Beo5 SHOULD have been. With all its versatility, the Beo5 is still just a remote with virtual square buttons. The use of sliding and flicking finger gestures allows for more creative interfaces in keeping with the sense of "magic" of B&O.

• 04-02-2010 9:37 AM In reply to

I dont know, I've always been a bit sceptical of the new B&O things and it was the same for the beo5.

But recently I installed a home lighting system with many scenes etc. The Beo5 and its ability to make macros and most importantly, provide detailed commands such as whether or not a button sends the IR continuously if you keep the button down etc makes a huge difference.

In that sense, the beo5 is an easier beo4 with no much more than that, I agree with you there, but thats nice.

If I used my iphone, it would lock itself after some time needing me to enter my security code. I would also need to look at the screen in order to use it.

With the beo4 and the bottom half of the beo5, the basic functions are easy to do, by using the hard buttons and therefore you know where they are without looking.

I think the iphone beolink software is going to be used mostly for before you enter your house since WIFI has a greater range, and for the person that constantly walks around all over his house and doesn't want to buy many controls.

I have around 5 beo4s (various ages) and 1 beo5, placed in convenient places in my house, i.e. bed side tables, kitchen worktop, dinning table, office desk, coffee table etc etc so I know that there is always one nearby. And it still works out loads cheaper than a MLGW + iphone

• 04-02-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

I was looking at doing SavantAV for home automation. . 

It appears that this B&O app will do what i want. . automate lights and control

the B&O equipment.

MJM

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 04-02-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

mjmedlo:

I was looking at doing SavantAV for home automation. . 

It appears that this B&O app will do what i want. . automate lights and control

the B&O equipment.

MJM

SavantAV is impressive.  Maybe the MLGW will be compatible at a later date.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 04-05-2010 7:37 AM In reply to

Can I only use my iPhone / iPod as a better / worth (?) remote control.

Or can I play the music stored on my iPod via Master-Gateway on my Bang&Olufsen music systems?

That realy would be an advantage.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >