in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-01-2010 10:18 AM by Evan. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2010 7:11 AM In reply to

Re: B&O iphone docking ?

scottyltd:

What if a friend came over for dinner and said "Can I connect my iPod to your BeoSound 5 system and let you listen to my new album?"

Spot on! Glad to see I am not the only one wanting this solution.

• 03-31-2010 7:15 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

Sure! Here's the USB cable.. just connect it to my PC...

Okay for you. But why a noisy PC in the living room and having the chance to get all on line while having a good conversation?

• 03-31-2010 8:01 AM In reply to

IMHO I use  lintronic box controlling an Onkyo Dock which outputs the display to my Avant so can control it through Beo4, change tracks, select artists etc through the Avant - best of all the Lintronic can take commands from the Avant, so the whole lot is controllable through the link system from anywhere - really useful on the bedroom and kitchen TV's - this is the cheapest most practical solution I've found. Some guy on ebay is reselling boscom docks for a ludicrous price when the functionality is really limited.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 03-31-2010 8:38 AM In reply to

-multimedia Robert-:

Karel Uyttendaele:

Okay for you. But why a noisy PC in the living room and having the chance to get all on line while having a good conversation?

A noisy PC and B&O in my living rooms don't match. My iMac has it's own place in the living room.. No noise at all. And the iMac has eaten all my normal CD's... all of them are now stored on my network... 

Again.. I don't see the use of a docking (at this moment) if you have all you digital music on your network at home. I DO see a use of a docking in a complete stand-alone config. I admire the B&W zeppelin dock in that way. Just as i love the BeoSound 1 as a stand alone system.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 03-31-2010 8:59 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

Lets wait a WHILE till we can play it through my new system

• 04-01-2010 12:04 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

I see a very limited use of an iPod/Phone dock.

Basically you have all your music on your PC/MAC/BS5... so why add a dock? A dock is only useful if your digital music is not connected to your audio system. So.. I hope that B&O is not wasting any time on a dock... and that they're spending their time on ironing out and adding functionality to the BeoSound/Master 5

I share this point of view and obviously all of my music is hooked up via N.MUSIC and a dedicated Mac Mini via BeoPort.

But for millions if not billions of people the idea of even using the AUX-IN in their stereos is arcane.  For the past decade I've been showing people they can buy a $2 RCA-to-mini-Stereo "y" cable and plug it on the back of the stereos, radios and TV's they've always had.  I recall some were mystified one could actually do that, or had trouble understanding what I was talking about.

It was only after plugging it in and discovering that yes, there is a SOURCE or AUX-IN button in their remote control that comprehension dawned.  It was interesting seeing their faces.

But the best proof of just what a failure the AUX-IN port has been for the electronics industry, just look at the millions and millions of crappy $200 iPod docks with speakers sold worldwide, with so many of them sitting right next to a $1,000 stereo or home entertainment system.  

Now that is almost mystifying.

• 04-01-2010 7:42 AM In reply to

I find the lack of connections on the modern stuff really annoying - just one aux in  - is there an autosense switchbox that anyone knows of - I remember reading a while back that someone was going to make one - we have them for scart sockets so an audio one would be really useful

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 04-01-2010 10:18 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

ajames:

I find the lack of connections on the modern stuff really annoying - just one aux in  - is there an autosense switchbox that anyone knows of - I remember reading a while back that someone was going to make one - we have them for scart sockets so an audio one would be really useful

Indeed there is. I have a five source auto sensing unit from radioshack. The only bad thing about it is it auto-senses only with video and cannot be used just for audio sources, not even manually. Super Angry But, in the use I have it for, it works fine since every source of mine has video.

Evan

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2