in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2007 5:58 AM by aweicc. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2007 4:58 AM

beolab 6000 auto power on and off problem

I have recently purchased a set of beolab 6000 speakers as extra speaker for my T  ( sony bravia X series), but I seem to run into the problem of beolab 6000 not switching off when I switch off the TV or automatically switch on and won't switch off with the TV turned off.

My local dealer says since I am not connected to a B&O system it is hard for them to say what the problem might be.  

Is it because my tv still sents out signals randomly even when its turned off or do I need to sent the speakers in for check up? any of you have the same problem connecting the 6000  to a non B&O system?
  • 06-21-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: beolab 6000 auto power on and off problem

I'd hazard a guess and say yes - the Sony is outputting a low-leve hiss or buzz when off.

I seem to remember though that there was a known error with some BeoLab 6000s in which the 'threshold' for on and off was set too low. Keith Saunders is the person to ask about that, he goes by that username on the forum, I'm sure he'll pop up soon! Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-21-2007 7:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Here is some more info. Obviously you don't need to do this yourself. An engineer should be able to, but it shows there is a way of solving your issue.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-21-2007 8:28 AM In reply to

Thanks for the input :)

But I just did further test with my set up, I beleive there is something wrong with the speakers.. both of them..

I turn off tv, unplug the power cable from the wall outlet. and the speakers still refuse to power down.

This is really weird.

• 06-21-2007 2:15 PM In reply to

This might be a shielding problem. How exactly did you connect the speakers to the TV? How long are the cables and what type are them?

Hagen

• 06-22-2007 3:15 AM In reply to

I use 2 rca cable, one for each speaker, and connect them to my tv variable sound output.

and they are 1.5 m cables.  

Its just the normal rca to rca cable..  
  • 06-22-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Seems a silly suggestion, but both speakers are set to LINE in aren't they?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-22-2007 5:51 AM In reply to

The tension filled silence following Alex' question is unbearable!

Devil 

• 06-22-2007 10:09 AM In reply to

haha yeah ofcousre :)

I since move the speakers further away from the tv, it seems to be shutting down now

But still turns itself back on randomly.

The thing is, when they turn back on, both of them turns on at the same time, so I guess my tv does play a part in it.
  • 06-22-2007 10:35 AM In reply to

I heard of some TVs turning automatically on from time to time to update their electronic program guide...

Hagen

• 06-22-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

I think you're find you have an earth differential problem here where the ground (not mains earth) of the TV and the ground of the Beolab's have an AC potential difference greater than about 3 volts, this would certainly cause the type of problem you are describing.

Do you have a multi-meter to allow us to check if this is the problem ?

Do you live within say 5 miles of an airfield ?

Regards Keith....

• 06-22-2007 11:35 AM In reply to

I am no wher near an airfield, and I don't have a multi-meter, actually I have no idea what u just said haha.

but when you said gound, let me describe my situation first.

I got these speakers from danmark, and I am in Ausralia, so I have to go out and buy australian power cables (since both countries use 230-240v, i just need to change power cables so the socket fit).

The plug on the power cables i got doesn't have the third metal piece which is used for ground.  it usually works, I don't know why some appliances got them and some don't.

so my point is, has that got anything to do with the ground problem ur talking about? do i need to get a cable with all 3 metal pieces on the plug?

/   \                                                 /   \  
         |      =  Australian standard plug             = the one i got now without the third metal                                                                          

• 06-22-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

This is NOT a mains power problem, so nothing to do with your mains cables.

As we cannot check for the earthing problem, the next likely issue giving this type of symptom was actually a product problem from way back which I recall, it was intermittent self oscillation of the operational amplifiers.

Given your previous answer about the multi-meter, you will need to get the assistance of someone with some electronics knowledge and able to solder a couple of components as follows:-

Power-link mode: Mount a 1 nF capacitor across 03D1.
    Line mode: Mount a diode 1N4148 between 03R126 and 03D19.

Regards Keith....

• 06-23-2007 9:50 AM In reply to

Thanks for the information, I guess I would have to ask the tech at B&O store to do that for me.

Just curious, what is its that ground problem ur talking about, anyway to remedy that ?

And also one of the speaker sometimes the indicator light is yellowish.. not red or green... kinda the color in between.  that usually happens when they are shutting off, the other one shut off alright, the light is red, and this one turns yellowish, not quite off, and give out a very notiable humming noise.
  • 06-23-2007 1:38 PM In reply to

Certainly the B&O dealer should be able to do the job for you, but if you or someone you know can use a soldering iron and you are willing to purchase the two components, it would certainly be the cheaper option. If the cost is not a problem, then let the B&O dealer do it for you.

Many (most) B&O products these days do not have a mains earth connection and even when they do, chassis earth (ground) and signal ground are isolated for good technical reasons which I will leave for another day. When the product signal ground needs to leave the the product enclosure via say a powerlink cable it is open to outside interference which can cause the signal ground to be sitting at a voltage difference between the two products. You only need a potential difference of between 1 & 2 volts to create a problem, one of the biggest causes of these type of problems these days is from strong RF pickup which can come from a lot of things. Of course the longer the cable between the two products, the more likely you are to have an issue.

If you think you are getting RF interference there is a very simple test you can do with a standard mult-meter, set it to the AC 50 volt range if it is not an auto ranging meter. Put one lead on mains earth and the other on the signal ground at the speaker, if you get a large reading say above 5 volts, then you have some interference of this nature.

With regards to your comments about the yellowish colour indicator light, I suggest you physically swap the speakers around and see if the problem stays with the speaker or moves with it.

Regards Keith....

• 06-25-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

I have physically swap the speakers around, and the problem stays with the speaker.

so that speaker is faulty right? probleming shutting off and got stuck in between?
  • 06-25-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

Yes, the speaker has the problem, so you or your dealer needs to do the modification as I previously outlined. That will certainly solve your problem.

Regards Keith....

• 06-29-2007 11:08 AM In reply to

My local dealer replied my email saying intermittent self oscillation of the operational amplifiers is the problem associated with beolab 8000, and not with beolab 6000

• 06-29-2007 11:23 AM In reply to

I am very sorry to tell you that your dealer is incorrect. The self oscillation of the operational amplifiers is your problem and it certainly does effect the Beolab 6000

Regards Keith....

• 06-29-2007 11:48 AM In reply to

To be completely clear on this point, the Beolab 6000 and 8000 had similar symptoms problems of switching off and on, but they were not exactly the same and the solution implemented by B&O was different.

The information I provided you with previously is correct and I suggest you go back to your dealer and suggest he calls his technical support department.

Regards Keith....

• 06-30-2007 11:30 AM In reply to

if your BL6000 serial number is lower then 10500000 thy don't have the modification, if it's higher. then I think you better look at the RCA connection on the TV, I have seen many TV's with bad connections on the RCA connector (inside TV).  

• 07-06-2007 9:29 AM In reply to

Yeah, your right, my dealer told me an interesting fact that the newer models of beolab 6000 had that mod built in.

So they think it could be the ground problem that Keith mentioned.

If all else fails, I can always just switch the speakers off from the wall.
  • 07-06-2007 12:16 PM In reply to

I think the best way forward here is for you to tell us the type number and serial numbers of your two speakers ?

Regards Keith....

• 08-20-2007 2:36 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the replys :)

I finally got the speakers back 2 weeks ago, and the dealer is unable to find anything wrong with the speakers, appearently they switched on and off normally in repair shop.

So I guess its my tv, and I just resort to switch off the main power on the wall when I finished with them.

• 08-20-2007 3:38 AM In reply to

Just because the dealer did not find a problem in his/her workshop does not mean there is not a problem. Your dealer should have come to your home and reviewed the problem you have reported, not just testing the speakers in isolation.

Why did the dealer not come to your home to see the problem for themselves ?

If there really is not a problem with the speakers, then its almost certainly going to be a grounding issue, either way your dealer should be able to sort it or do we not have the full story ?

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >