in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-10-2010 4:04 PM by Ben. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2010 12:50 PM

Restore finish on my Beomaster 3000-2 (slide rule Type 2402)

Hello. Original Beomaster owner from 1975.

After 30 years of storage, I have occasion to take my Beomaster out and clean it up and put it on display.

I have done a decent job on front and sliders as there was little if any discoloration on the plastic sliders but the poor wood looks like it is pretty thirsty.

The rosewood color is still OK, but it lacks luster and warmth. There are no visible scratches or dings, it just needs to be brought back to life.

What is the best way to do this? I saw one post say to use very fine sandpaper and beeswax. So I went to HomeDepot online and I see very fine and super fine wet sandpaper for fine finishing wood and stains. I also see a beeswax product (Howard 16 Oz. Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver With Beeswax, Carnauba Wax and Orange Oil  to be exact). Is this the best way to go?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

BTW - I am waiting patiently for my "Excellent Condition" Beogram 4004 Turntable to arrive in the next couple days. Now I just need to find a nice Teak or Rosewood cabinet to display. If anyone has one to sell, or you can point me to a source, I would appreciate that as well.

Thank-you for taking the time to read my post.

Dan

Filed under:
  • 03-09-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Re: Restore finish on my Beomaster 3000-2 (slide rule Type 2402)

I recently revived the teak wood veneer on my Beocenter 3500, which was looking a little tired.

I used some 400 grit sandpaper and very lightly sanded in the direction of the grain, avoiding sanding too much in one place, or the edges.

After cleaning the wood with some spirit, I then applied some Danish oil with a rag, let it sit for a while and then rubbed off with a clean rag. I did about 3 coats like this, and the wood is vastly improved.

• 03-10-2010 12:45 PM In reply to

Thank-you for the reply. Just came back from Home Deport with what you suggest. I also bought some beeswax they had and thought I would try this after the Danish Oil as the final wax sealer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 03-10-2010 4:04 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

No problem.

I'd also recommend removing all of the wood trim from the chassis to do this - don't do it with the unit assembled.

As for the sanding... you probably don't need to do it if your wood is smooth already. I just did the wood on a Beomaster 1400 that was only faded. Looks like new now with only the danish oil.

A woodworker once gave me the tip of wetting the wood lightly with a slightly damp sponge to raise the grain, prior to sanding. This gives an even smoother finish.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)