in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2010 8:20 AM by futurist. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2010 12:46 AM

3rd Party IR Capture and XML Generation using IRSCOPE

All,

I've had my BEO5 for a couple of weeks now, and I've been trying to get it to directly control a couple of 3rd party products (a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR and a Samsung Blu-Ray player).  I've been using a USB IR sniffer to capture remote codes, translating the raw captures to Lintronic raw format, and then using the XML generator to produce 3rd party XML files for the Config Utility.  Suffice to say, this hasn't worked and I'm stumped!

I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who's done this successfully, or from anyone who has advice to give (and the patience to listen to my geeky problem!).

Here are some details:

To capture the IR remote signals, I purchased a USB IR 'Widget' from Tommy Taylor (US $30, here:  http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405).  With the IRSCOPE software, (here:  http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11668),  I can get nice, clean signal captures, showing pulse and pause duration and carrier frequency.

I have a spreadsheet which translates the IRSCOPE .ict files into the Lintronic format (I've tried both the old and new styles).  I initially suspected that this was the problem, but I'm pretty certain I'm doing this correctly.

The XML generator produces XML files which don't seem to reflect the pulse/pause data in the file; the log generated seems to 'skip' the pauses, and only read the pulse data.

BEO5 config utility downloads the 3rd party remote codes without error; the signals generated by the BEO5, however, don't match the originals.  The general trend is that the signals are much shorter; carrier frequency seems to be correct, though.

I would be grateful for any insight anyone could offer; I'm tearing my hair out!

Regards,

Simon.

• 03-08-2010 3:46 AM In reply to

Re: 3rd Party IR Capture and XML Generation using IRSCOPE

Simon,

I am sorry to hear that you are having some problems creating your XML files.

The "IR WIDGET" is a very good product and cheap and as it happens I am currently writing a Windows based programme to capture using the "IR WIDGET" and convert to an XML file, however there is still much work to be done.

However, if you put all your .ICT and your Lintronics converted files into a ZIP file and upload them HERE I will look at them and get back to you with hopefully a solution.

Regards Keith....

• 03-10-2010 7:37 PM In reply to

Keith,

Thanks very much for your reply and offer of help!  I think I've solved the problem, though.  Fairly predictably, it wasn't anything to do with either IRSCOPE, the config tool or your (excellent) XML generator!

I was 'translating' the IRSCOPE .ict files in Excel, and then copy-pasting into a text editor.  When I did this, the resulting file looked fine, but was actually tab delimited.  Doh!  Changing the way I translated the file (as text-only in a single cell) resolved the problem.

I'm excited about your Windows application to use the IR WIDGET; like you say, it's an awesome little device and I paid $30 for mine.  A little cheaper than a Lintronic box.  In the back of my mind, I'd thought about an Excel macro to convert from IRSCOPE to Lintronic files, but this would probably require more programming skill than I posess.

In the mean time, I'll gladly give out my DIY spreadsheet; it's not pretty, and it's labour-intensive (around 1 minute per button), but it does work.  If anyone would like a copy please let me know.

Regards,

Simon.

• 03-18-2010 8:20 AM In reply to

simongdavies:
    In the mean time, I'll gladly give out my DIY spreadsheet; it's not pretty, and it's labour-intensive (around 1 minute per button), but it does work.  If anyone would like a copy please let me know.

I'd love a copy of this Simon - I did email you but haven't heard back.

Cheers

Stuart

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)