in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2007 12:48 PM by rayfenwick. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-20-2007 6:46 AM

MX5500 and VX5000 purchased but have a problem

(I was asked to repost due to technical problem, so apologies for repetition)

Hello all.

I am a new B&O collector, and have just expanded my collection with a MX5500 and VX5000 in remarkably clean and shiny white.  Complete with motorised stand, they look great!

The problem I have is that although the VCR plays back fine through the TV, there is no remote control of the VCR. The remote (Beolink 1000) works fine otherwise as far as I can tell. 

I know the VCR is controlled via the TV (having no IR sensor itself) - does anyone know how the signals for remote get from the TV to the VCR?  I am presuming via the SCART rather than the RF.  Does this require a special SCART lead?  I have a fully connected SCART lead, and have swapped it for another fully connected lead, with the same result.

In the  "TV SET" menu, the AV1 input is set to V.TAPE-1/NEW.  It is *not* possible to change this to /OLD - could this be my problem?

All (any) help gratefully received. You can email me directly on bando(at)owstwick.org

Many thanks, Ray

PS: My TV has almost perfect focus in the centre, that gets worse towards the edges, focus with a dark picture is much better than with light.  I first thought focus pot, but as the focus is almost perfect in the centre, I think it is something else. Is this a known fault with this chassis?

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 6:57 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: MX5500 and VX5000 purchased but have a problem

rayfenwick:

I know the VCR is controlled via the TV (having no IR sensor itself) - does anyone know how the signals for remote get from the TV to the VCR?  I am presuming via the SCART rather than the RF. Correct!

Does this require a special SCART lead? No, just a fully connected SCART lead

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 06-20-2007 7:24 AM In reply to

Daniel:
    rayfenwick:

I know the VCR is controlled via the TV (having no IR sensor itself) - does anyone know how the signals for remote get from the TV to the VCR?  I am presuming via the SCART rather than the RF. Correct!

Does this require a special SCART lead? No, just a fully connected SCART lead

Hmmm.  Definitely doesn't work...  Could there be some odd setting on the VX that I don't know about?

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 8:09 AM In reply to

I tried to post a picture of the user manual - this seems to have crashed the last thread! It had a diagram where the setting for the VX5000 was V.Tape + * rather than the old and new setting. Is it possible to try that?
  • 06-20-2007 8:23 AM In reply to

Peter:
    I tried to post a picture of the user manual - this seems to have crashed the last thread! It had a diagram where the setting for the VX5000 was V.Tape + * rather than the old and new setting. Is it possible to try that?

Unfortunately I can't seem to change the option from /NEW at all using the ^V and the << >> keys that change the other options.

Is there some other key that changes that.  It's got to be something, but what???

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

There's no possibility to select a value in TV Menu for a VX5000, because it is auto detected. V.Tape /NEW is only available, if a non B&O VideoTapeRecorder is connected to the MX5500.

Disconnect MX and VX from mains, connect VX to mains first again, then MX. Go to TV Menu.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 06-20-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

BeoIce:

There's no possibility to select a value in TV Menu for a VX5000, because it is auto detected. V.Tape /NEW is only available, if a non B&O VideoTapeRecorder is connected to the MX5500.

Disconnect MX and VX from mains, connect VX to mains first again, then MX. Go to TV Menu.

Martin

Hi Martin.

I tried that,  left them both unplugged for an hour.  Then plugged VX then MX.  TV SET menu is just the same...
    This is very strange.It looks like the VX is not being detected...  I am lost...:(

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

These are very complex machines!!! I just had a quick look through the user manual and you can disengage to front keys and I wondered if the remote was also able to be switched off. Not obviously is the answer! There is the ability to control the VX via an external sensor but I would guess that this won't work either. Try the other AV socket on the TV if you have not already but failing that a trip to a service department seems on the cards.
  • 06-20-2007 11:07 AM In reply to

Peter:
    These are very complex machines!!! I just had a quick look through the user manual and you can disengage to front keys and I wondered if the remote was also able to be switched off. Not obviously is the answer! There is the ability to control the VX via an external sensor but I would guess that this won't work either. Try the other AV socket on the TV if you have not already but failing that a trip to a service department seems on the cards.

Hi Peter.

Trust my first posting to be an awkward one.... ;)

Well I have a MX7000 on the way, and another MX5500 sitting at the couriers waiting for their insurers to pay up for the broken casing and contrast screen (and then fund my Avant ;) ) so I will have at least one of these  MX's here soon, and can hopefully try these for a comparison.... I'll let the forum know any developments.

Many thanks to all for their advice, and if anyone thinks of anything else...

Ray
    Beosystem 5500, Beovox RL100, Beovox CX100, Beovision MX5500(2), MX7000, Beocord VX5000, Beocom 2500, Beolink 1000 ,PC2
    (not bad for 2 months collecting ;) )

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 11:55 AM In reply to

The MX7000 is not very good with the VX5000 - I have an LX6000 (very similar chassis) and my VX5000 cannot use most of its electronic trickery! The boring by comparison VX7000 works much better! Nice collection though! You need some better speakers!
  • 06-20-2007 12:06 PM In reply to

Peter:
    The MX7000 is not very good with the VX5000 - I have an LX6000 (very similar chassis) and my VX5000 cannot use most of its electronic trickery! The boring by comparison VX7000 works much better! Nice collection though! You need some better speakers!

Thanks Peter.

I don't actually need a VCR, but for completeness sake...  Trouble is I have nothing to feed the RF input on the VX anyway, so many of its tricks aren't much use to me...

Speakers?  Definitely. Although I actually prefer the sound of the RLs to the CXs.  I would like some BL4000s.. I think they are gorgeous, and I missed a pair a week ago on eBay for a pitiful £180.....  gutted is not the word...

I plan to sell the (newly refurbished) CXs soon, and keep my eyes open for some 4000s within my present budget.

I will be expanding and evolving the collection, and will hopefully be a regular here :)

Best wishes

Ray

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 12:10 PM In reply to

Have a look out for some S120s - very under rated and will need refoaming if not already done. However with your 5500 system, they will sing - knock spots off the CX and RL ranges and will sound better than 4000s (which are good!) Available usually for a song!
  • 06-20-2007 1:46 PM In reply to

Peter:
    Have a look out for some S120s - very under rated and will need refoaming if not already done. However with your 5500 system, they will sing - knock spots off the CX and RL ranges and will sound better than 4000s (which are good!) Available usually for a song!

Forgive me for 2 wrong model numbers in the same thread - you can tell I am new!  I meant BL4500s.. I love their Mondrian-esque styling and their slimness.  I'd love something big and grand, but simply don't have much space...  wall hung is really my only option, and must be small/slim, as my living room is really small.....

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-20-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

Just had some BL5000s briefly and do have the BL3000s which are like the 4500s. A cheaper option if you see some are P45s which sound very good if a little bass light.
  • 07-01-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

Hello all

Just an update on my MX5500 that "couldn't find" my VX5000....

As you may recall, I had another MX5500 damaged in transit, with the contrast screen, spreaker fret and the main casing being badly damaged.

Anyway, the courier released the set to me to take it for an insurance quote, and I thought while I have it, I will see what it is like.  So, I gingerly plugged it in, and found it to be working perfectly.  Moreover, the picture was much sharper than my other MX5500. So....  I swapped all the casings etc over, and now have an almost spotless MX5500 with a much better picture than before :)

Not only this, but the VX500 was detected immediately, and works fine off the remote. A total success I'd say - especially as damaged TV looks the same as it did, and so I can get the quote (anyone on the forum want to earn a few quid? ;) ) and the insurance company will pay up.  Good thing too, as I've just bought an Avant from eBay....  ;)

Ray

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-01-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

I have seen an MX6000 where the data link to the VCR didn't work, maybe it's just the pin 8 on the scart connector that has a bad connection.
  • 07-01-2007 12:48 PM In reply to

bang1:
    I have seen an MX6000 where the data link to the VCR didn't work, maybe it's just the pin 8 on the scart connector that has a bad connection.

Thanks for the tip.  I will remember :)

Ray

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)