in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-19-2010 8:53 AM by Stan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-28-2010 6:30 PM

• atm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

MP3 Enhancing technology for BeoPort

I've read lately that there are a number of technologies out there that significantly improve the output from MP3 files.

Does anyone know if this is already built into BeoPort or if there are any plug-ins / work arounds that make you benefit from this technology?

cheers

// 4 x BL8000 // BV3 // PC2

• 03-02-2010 3:22 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: MP3 Enhancing technology for BeoPort

Just about all of the "damage" is done during the encoding process, one you have you MP3 it is what it is! When you say "enhance" I think what you are actually saying is "modify" - there are plugins that will modify loudness, and frequency response and will apply compression or audio "exciters" to make the resultant output sound "better" (well different at least) to the original MP3.

My question is really - would you normally do this to a CD?  None of the above is making up for what was removed during the encoding process, just modifying the sound of what is left. Having said all of that if it is percieved as sounding better then why not!

I'm not aware of any plugins specific to BeoPort although I'm sure there are plenty out there for Windows Media Player that may work.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-06-2010 8:26 AM In reply to

I am sceptical about anything that advertises the possibility of enhancing the quality of MP3s.  You can't get something out of nothing and unfortunately MP3 is a lossy format when it is compressed some data is disposed this can't be replaced.

Encoding at 320kbps will help as will looking closely at your computers sound card, these are more often than not nowhere close to audiophile grade, they are not even close to acceptable quality.  It's one of the cheapest components, especially on board cards.

Nic

• 03-06-2010 9:09 AM In reply to

Me too. But different encoding software will also produce different results. The MP3 spec only tells what the format of the compressed audio file is and how it is decoded, but doesn't fully dictate how the encoder should be implemented. There are various patent issues around this and a number of algorithm variations that can be used. Usually most differences show up with small bit rates, and once you throw something like 320 kpbs at the problem, you'll be hard pressed to hear the differences between encoders (or the whole MP3 compression in general).

But after the encoding has been done, your MP3 file is what it is and there's only one correct way to decode it. Everything else is, as Puncher says, just some kind of effects that may improve on the perceived quality, but will add something that wasn't in the original music.

-mika

• 06-16-2010 1:28 PM In reply to

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

What you have heard of is probably something like Creative Labs 24-bit Crystalizer. that is supposed to enhance compressed audio. This a hardware feature, so you'll need a Creative sound card. Other manufacturers might have a similar technology, though.

In the end it's probably more a marketing gimmick that gives the impression of enhancing 16-bit sound to 24-bit.

Best regards

Henrik

• 06-19-2010 8:53 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Going back to the original question about whether BeoPort has this or not... the answer is no and yes.  No, BeoPort just plays whatever audio is presented to it at the audio "in" port (I used to run my turntable thru this).  Yes, because you can do whatever you want to the audio before it gets to BeoPort.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)