in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-05-2010 2:16 AM by Kevin. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 3:56 PM

Do you own any other vintage HiFi products.

I was just wondering if people on here have any other make of stereo's. Do any of you have valve equipment? Im tempted to get a little valve set up for a bit of fun. Or how about any of those monster sized Japanese things from the 70's and 80's. Don't ask me why but for some reason I quite fancy one of those massive amps with all the bells and whistles. Something like http://www.thevintageknob.org/MARANTZ/SM1000/SM1000.html or that type of thing.

I know they may be ugly as sin (although the Marantz in that link isn't that bad but check out some of the others at that site) but I like them. I suppose they are the opposite of B&O in that B&O almost disappears in your room whilst the "monster" systems shout at you to look at them. They seem very well spec'ed though and I would have thought they should sound good.

• 02-26-2010 4:28 PM In reply to

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

Re: Do you own any other vintage HiFi products.

We use a Yamaha YP-700 turntable (1972/ 1975) in combination with a BC9500 and BL4000. Very satisfying!

LINK

• 02-26-2010 4:35 PM In reply to

I mostly got rid of all mine when I got struck with this current disease, mostly for space reasons... (and I never had nearly this much gear around back then Wink ) Probably the heftiest unit was a Pioneer A-9 amp, top of the range in 1981 or so. Went quickly and for decent money although it was externally a bit beat up. Apparently a bit rare since my "lid open" sales pic was stolen to a foreign vintage info site (not TVK) from our Finnish only auction service.

Perhaps not vintage, but I also had a Dual CS5000 turntable in the rarer(?) walnut guise. Sold it as well two years ago, and got about the same than I had paid for it new in 1990 - even without considering the change in value of money!

Oh yes, I do have an ASA Studiotrio 3300 integrated system at the summer house (Finnish make & design except for the Dual turntable part, and the cassette mech which I believe is Mitsubishi). It was a fun choice as it was built in the same year as the place itself (1977), performs quite well, and was free to me anyway. Next summer I will probably replace it with some suitable B&O system...

-mika

• 02-26-2010 4:54 PM In reply to

i would own real pro stuff like 60's/70's studer/revox components and a thorens td 124 deck, simular to the famous beogram 3000... swiss made of course... ;-)

• 02-26-2010 5:29 PM In reply to

Non B&O??!!! What??!!

Yes but only one Sony DAT 57es.

Recorded alot of DAT tapes when I played music with different people. I don't use it much and currently not plugged in. I have been wondering how to connect to my Beosystem 6500. Aux is taken and so is tape 1 and 2. Phono is free.

• 02-27-2010 7:58 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

You've actually got me thinking here - the previous owners of my house have left some ugly hi-fi system in the loft. No idea what it is though I never got further than looking at it & thinking - boy that's grim!

I may have a venture up their on Sunday & see exactly what it is. Chances are it will end up at the tip though....

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-27-2010 8:27 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Before I was struckt by the BeoVirus I was most interested in open-reel tape recorders. My first one was an Akai 1710 (valve amp with built-in speakers), then I got a lot of Tandberg decks. Amazing built-quality and they just simply don't die. Then I bought a Beocord 1500 De Luxe and then I got affected by the BeoVirus... Wink

At the moment the only other brands I have higher interest are Tandberg (open-reels and cassette decks) but also Sony! Not in general but because of the amazing Elcaset system. Those decks look just beautiful and their sound is just great. Also the sound of the big solenoids clicking is just so nice! There's also a video in YouTube in here.

EDIT: And of course the lovely Tandberg Fasett speakers has to be mentioned! My pair is orange. I used this for awhile with my workbench system (Beomaster 901 at the time) but as of the form of the speakers they took a bit too much space on the shelf and later on I replaced them with a Beomaster 3000 + Beovox CX50s)

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 02-27-2010 9:27 AM In reply to

I have a couple of older Philips CD players, a CD650 which was a classic early model which is plugged into my Beomaster 1900 and a CD618 which is now in my Beomaster 5000 stack because the CD50 is out of service. It's not a great match visually but it is beter CD player than the CD50.

Simon 

• 02-27-2010 10:00 AM In reply to

I had a Kenwood KT -?? amp and tuner set up I bought while stationed over in Japan back in 82. I also bought a Teac cassette player with built in DBX II as well as a Teac Reel to Reel, a Technics SQL1- ?? Direct Drive Linear Tracking turntable. and a Sansui 16 band graphic eq with spectrum analyizer.

Then 4 Kenwood KL-999Z 5 way speakers. I had the biggest system on the block and had it until I moved from Indy to Columbus back in 95 when I decided to downsize and sold it off.

Before that I had a Lafayette Stereo Turntable and for awhile we had a Lloyds Stereo Phonograph with AM/FM tuner and a built in cassette deck.

Now all I have is this early Panasonic boombox.

• 02-27-2010 10:31 AM In reply to

No vintage currently active, but have a handful of remnants sitting around.

The king of my "other" gear was a Nak 730.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-27-2010 2:33 PM In reply to

I've got a nice Roberts Rambler portable radio that I inherited when I was about nine when my Dad's uncle passed away. Thinking about it I think this was the first collectable thing I ever owned, and it probably set me on the path to where I am today :)

Still gets listened to when I'm in the bath and want to listen to Radio 5!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-28-2010 10:43 PM In reply to

I've got an Onkyo AV-S810PRO Surround Sound amplifier. It is part of the Integra range and is dynamite!!

I have CX100s as fronts and CX50s as rears and the sound is amazing. I've only kept it because it is worth peanuts now...

Interestingly, it doesn't have a built in tuner. Apparantly this is so it doesn't interfere with the amplifier (?)

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-28-2010 11:04 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I have a Yamaha R-7 Natural sound receiver with natural sound tape deck 1984 (I think). Its pushing a pair of JBL Northridge E80s and a pair of Beovox RL 60.2s. Also have a pair of Realistic optimus t-120s.

Going back further i have a realistic amp and tuner (the bookshelf type). I think its pre 1980.

Apart from that, I know i have some technics, philips, magnavox cd players and eqs floating around.

Too much to list, always growingYes -  thumbs up

Evan

• 02-28-2010 11:37 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

superdario:

i would own real pro stuff like 60's/70's studer/revox components and a thorens td 124 deck, simular to the famous beogram 3000... swiss made of course... ;-)

Funny you should mention that Dario....

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-01-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

I have a Harman|Kardon linear tracking turntable from 1976, connected via preamp to B&O setup. Matches the brushed aluminium perfectly!

• 03-01-2010 4:45 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I have a Beocenter 2500 hooked up to a Quad 405-2 and a pair of Mission 753s. I love the sound and the Beocenter looks great on top of the Quad. The Beocenter is going to be swopped for a 2300 this weekend Smile

Cheers

Nigel

• 03-02-2010 3:54 AM In reply to

Russ:

superdario:

Funny you should mention that Dario....

nice setup indeed... ;-) is that a a77 reel-to-reel?

btw did you know that you can use the beo4 as a remote for a b77? http://cgi.ebay.ch/IR-adapter-for-REVOX-B77-PR99-Bang-Olufsen-remote_W0QQitemZ120534332866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBandmaschinen?hash=item1c1067f5c2#ht_1624wt_1167

i did a quick research, the a50/78 amplifier, the a76 tuner and last but not least the famous a77 tape are really nice. all build around 1967/68/69 same time as my beolab 5000 system... but one vintage system is sufficient and the jacob jensen design is iconic... ;-)

• 03-02-2010 6:35 AM In reply to

I've got a Revox B77 MKII hooked upto my BC9500 and the original TX Turntable - the Revox matches the TX really well and the sound is very good when recording Vinyl - saves changing records. If I could work out how to post a picture of it I would.

Also got an old Pioneer DV 717 controlled through a lintronic box - very large DVD player but really good picture on my Avant. Interestingly if I bought the revox add on remote control thing I could control it through the Beo4.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 03-02-2010 8:30 AM In reply to

I have had an old ITT amp after I destroyed my first B&O reciever, the Beomaster 2400-2 (dead output stage and old capacitors). It acually played very well through my S-45's, I regret selling it. I also had a Pioneer PL-223 record player. Worked great but there was no suspension, the tonearm was skating all over the record if you closed the door (it was located on a shelf). Both items was found at the dump! After that I moved back to B&O with another 2400-2 and them my Beosystem 5500/Beogram 4002 arrangement.

I memorize that i also have had an old Philips tuner with tape recorder built in, it was thrown out ten years ago.

-Søren

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 03-02-2010 10:57 AM In reply to

I love my Nakamichi 700 cassette deck.  It's the size of a small suitcase, and built to last 100 years.  The big, bright VU meters are mesmerising Smile  Picture here: http://i.audioscope.net/td_nakamichi_700.jpg

• 03-02-2010 2:30 PM In reply to

This thread started me thinking about building up a revox collection and I saw a nakamichi cd player today for £70 - but the thought of not using my Beo4, the looks, the integration etc.......

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 03-02-2010 2:56 PM In reply to

You know, I only just lucked into the B&O world last month, when a Beogram 4002 came to me.  I'm fascinated.  I fear that may have been the first domino falling...

Where, other than eBay (where you always pay too much) can one acquire clean used Bang & Olufsen equipment? I need the 120v 60hz variety.

• 03-02-2010 3:19 PM In reply to

TheSixthBeatle:
    I need the 120v 60hz variety.

The states? What are you looking for? I am thinning my gear from 60's thru 00's.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-04-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

It is not HiFi, but it is definetely rare and Vintage.

I own a Mullard Radio Receiver from 1948. A Great Britain Product with Internal Speaker and ability to connect a pickup!

It is not in a good shape, but i have plans to restore it someway...

-Dimitris

• 03-04-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

Cool!

Mullard made a selection of tubes - I know this because I once saw a really cool 50s advertising poster by Mullard that was simply a load of tubes/valves and their code numbers :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >