in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2010 6:16 AM by david707. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 9:32 AM

Fans in TV's

Do all B&O LCD TV's have cooling fans? I read on here that many are a nuisance on some models in addition to slow 'boot up' times. I am tempted by a BV7 MK2 but if it has a fan I'll forget it and keep my (silent) Avant.

David

• 02-26-2010 9:56 AM In reply to

Re: Fans in TV's

With the exception of the BeoVision 10 (which I haven't seen), the other LCDs do, but I can't say I've ever heard or noticed a single one. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-26-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

I had a Bv 7-40 Mk3 and never had a problem with the fan's and If your going to buy a Bv7 the Mk3 is the one to get as Full HD and 4 Hdmi's unless your not bothered about HD. Picture was fab too!

I was running Sky Hd,Virgin V-Box,PS 3 and Beomaster 5 with no problems also useing the projector out as well to a Jvc Hd1

Hope this helps.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 02-26-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

BeoVision 10 has two fans actually, they are referred to in the Service Manual and can be adjusted (at what temperature they turn on, and what's the speed of the fans at minimum and maximum temperature). They are located in the lower half of the TV, where all the electronics and speakers are housed.

Luckily I've never heard even a hiss from BeoVision 10, even in complete silence. BeoVision 7, which I had a couple of years ago, was also totally silent.

In the unlucky case of fan noise, perhaps they can be adjusted on any BeoVision by B&O service, making them run more silently. There is a recent post on fan noise regarding BeoVision 8, explaining this in more detail.

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-26-2010 12:36 PM In reply to

I have a BC6-26, which also has a fan. If you mute the sound and get really close you can just about hear the fan. Otherwise not.

• 02-26-2010 1:29 PM In reply to

I would actually consider forced cooling a plus in a device like a TV - they consume quite a lot of power and thus produce a lot of heat in a relatively small space. I don't think we have even seen the start of general flat TV failures yet, perhaps because the usable life due to technological advances has been so short and they get consigned to secondary rooms, etc quite early and don't get used much after that. Of course the fans will wear out too and perhaps become noisier with time, but repairing/replacing them will be much cheaper than a cooked power supply module.

I agree the fans need to be totally inaudible in normal use. I think I've read some reports of noisy B&O TVs on the forum, but I guess those have been isolated fault cases, or everybody would know about them...

-mika

• 02-27-2010 6:16 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies. I am reassured that these fans are not quite as problematic as I first thought. I assume CRT's don't need them due to the larger volume of the heat sinks etc. If the fans are totally inaudible I am happy. I have heard Sky plus boxes and DVD recorders with quite noisy fans which are very distracting.

BV7 Mk3 seems to be the chosen one of the range. I was looking on a certain well known resellers site recently and there are quite a few mk2's available. Perhaps these are trade-ins for the newer version with the famous "Full HD/1080p" and all those connection possibilities.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)