in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2010 4:28 AM by tournedos. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2010 8:50 PM

Beolab 5000 display too bright

I have an interesting issue. One of my Beolab 5000's has a display that is so bright it is hard to make out the letters and numbers except at a high angle. It is displaying the correct information. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

• 02-26-2010 8:48 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5000 display too bright

Apparently there is a problem with the contrast control of the LCD (which on this kind of displays actually adjusts the viewing angle, not really the contrast). The service manual shows an adjustment trimpot for it (1R120 on the power supply board) but this kind of stuff doesn't usually just move by itself... could be a bad contact somewhere or a faulty trimpot.

Anyway the circuit is just a controlled DC voltage source that is fed directly to the LCD itself and it is nothing critical. If you feel comfortable opening the speaker and locating this trimpot in question, I guess you might just as well try to adjust it. If the contrast jumps by just tapping on the trimpot, it has a bad contact. Correct adjustment value is 1.9V on pin 5 of connector P301 to the display module.

-mika

• 02-26-2010 9:35 PM In reply to

Thanks, Mika. I'll give that a try. I swapped my grey molding and base with someone's blue unit, but we each kept our respective electronics, so something could have been bumped in the transition. I'm certainly comfortable looking into the electronics - I'll give that a try!

• 02-26-2010 10:46 PM In reply to

Adjusting the pot did the trick! I now have to 5000's balanced perfectly in brightness. Thanks for the tip.

• 02-27-2010 4:28 AM In reply to

Excellent Yes -  thumbs up If the setting for some reason ever jumps again, then better go back and look at electrical problems as well instead of just readjusting it.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)