in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2010 3:50 PM by richu. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2010 9:17 PM

Sound settings on BV7

Dear All,

I am just wondering when you watch DVD on your BV7 do you also have to push the volume to 50 or 60 ? As I have to.

It is strange for DTV the sound is perfect while set to 30-35 but for DVD or other digital sourrce (Tvix M6500A) I have to put the volume higher.

Did someone else noticed this ?

Also, could we adjust separately the volume of the center speaker to get the dialog clearer when we watch a DVD ? 

My setting BV7-32MKIII / BL6000 / BL2/ BL4 

Thanks by advance,

Mat

• 02-25-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

Re: Sound settings on BV7

Hi Mat

Yes, I have the same with DVD but never really thought about why. Usually with DVDs the back speakers (on speaker 5, which usually happens automatically when DVD is inserted), are quieter so I usually rack up the sound anyway.

As regards the speaker balance, I'm not in front of my BV7 but there is a bit on the sound menu where you can increase or decrease each speaker individually based on where you are sitting in your room.

Brian

• 02-25-2010 7:49 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's due to dynamic range. TV broadcasts (Freeview) have all the dynamic range crushed out of them (hence why TV broadcasts tend to sound awful) whilst in movies, the dynamic range (difference between loud and quiet parts of the recording) is retained.

It's the same as say, comparing an older recording (take Fleetwood Mac's Rumours) with something modern (say, U2's Vertigo, or even the remaster of Rumours, which has been crushed).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-26-2010 2:54 AM In reply to

Brian Waddell:

As regards the speaker balance, I'm not in front of my BV7 but there is a bit on the sound menu where you can increase or decrease each speaker individually based on where you are sitting in your room.

Brian

THanks for your replies.

Regarding the sound menu on my BV7 I can manage all  speakers, sub and loudness but not the center speaker ? Same on yours ?

Mat

• 02-26-2010 4:23 AM In reply to

Correct.... no control of the 7.1

-Dimitris

• 02-26-2010 4:34 AM In reply to

So,

In the sound menu, what is the effect of changing the speaker distances. All five can be changed independantly of each other.

Brian

• 02-26-2010 8:47 AM In reply to

adjusting speaker distance is the Beosystem 3's way of handling sound "phase", i.e., ensuring that the envelope of sound frequencys arrives more or less  in phase to to chosen listening position.  Although B&O's method is somewhat gross in correction by audiophile standards, most any attempt to increase the precision of phase adjustment will narrow the listening sweet spot area where the phase is better corrected.

Amplitude is corrected by the sound-level adjustment between the speakers.

Barry

• 02-27-2010 3:50 PM In reply to

• richu
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-02-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

The center is like the master.

It can be set by changing the distance AND there is a switch on the rear of the beolab 7-4 to adjust the distance to a wall. You might want to check this out.

The position switch is to be set to F (free) when the distance of the frontgrill to the wall is more than 50cm. Set it to W (wall) when the distance is less than 50cm. The switch is below the power cable plug. From the rear: F is left postition, W is right position.

After the center is configured correctly (distance to you and distance to the wall) you can adjust the volume of all other speakers (assuming, the distance is set correctly).

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)