in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2010 1:57 PM by Puncher. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2010 3:42 PM

• Brenda
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-23-2010
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Bang and Olufsen Stereo Microphones

I have been clearing my Fathers home following his death last month.

Amongst his belongings I found two stereo microphones which appear to be very old. They are in their original boxes and I have been told rare.

It would be good if someone could tell me a little about them. They have no model number on them. I have attached a photograph to help in their identification.

As it is likely that I will be selling them an indication of their true value would be very useful.

Many thanks.

Brenda

• 02-23-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: Bang and Olufsen Stereo Microphones

they look like SM5's from the early sixties, if they are in mint condition and with original box they can go for up £1000, as you have two of them, possibly £1800 for a nice pair, even more if they had the wooden box that often accompanies them.

http://poppop.nl/B&O.BM5/

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1081

• 02-23-2010 4:48 PM In reply to

to give you an idea one BM5 sold in Ireland for 650 euros about 12 months ago, and the SM5's are worth a lot more

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=89995

• 02-23-2010 5:16 PM In reply to

They are absolutely beautiful!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-23-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

They look like straight Beomic 5s to me. Very good ribon microphones and if they are still working will be worth a lot. They seem to sell well on eBay but sell them separately.

• 02-23-2010 5:24 PM In reply to

• Brenda
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-23-2010
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I don't have wooden boxes only the card boxes. 

Obviously they will only be worth something if they are working - is there an easy way to check.?

• 02-23-2010 5:27 PM In reply to

shhhhh 

*ahem* I'll give you 5 bucks for both

lol, just kidding.. they should fetch very good money. Take nice clear pictures and list them available to worldwide. Shipping won't be expensive to send them anywhere in the world.

Good luck!!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-24-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Absolutely excellent microphones.

The design was effectively pinched by Royer for their 121 microphone (and many others) which has been used on many a hit record (for example most of the Michael Jackson records on the HiHat).

Very well respected microphones in the recording industry.

If you don't manage to sell them, I'll take them off your hands. Stick out tongue Been wanting to add some B&O mics to my collection...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-24-2010 4:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Forgot to say there's a possibility the ribbon elements themselves are worn. Not disastrous as they can be replaced by an expert.

They're immensely fragile though. Very finicky about what they're connected to as well...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-24-2010 4:57 AM In reply to

On the subject of cost, these are very very collectible. To get the very best price, the wooden box is necessary, but you have the original plastic box and carboard jacket and this is desirable as well.

As Alex has said, these are able to be fixed and anyone buying this to use would realise that it will need checking. I would not worry about trying them as this would possibly cause damage.

I would not accept less than £500 each and you could easily get more. I would strongly suggest you put them on eBay, do some decent pictures, sell them separately but refer to the fact that there are two and don't end the auction early! I would also allow international bidders and definitely send them fully insured and reflect this in the postage costs. These seem to sell particularly well in the US.

• 02-24-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

Absolutely wonderful! 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 02-24-2010 1:54 PM In reply to

Nice to see you again here Alex - hope Uni life is treating you well :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-24-2010 1:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Nice to see you again here Alex - hope Uni life is treating you well :)

I assume he is deep into his studies and the music career and partying are on hold for a few years!Whistle

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)