in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-11-2011 2:31 PM by frog. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2010 1:43 PM

Nradio and BBC Radio, does it work?

After having seen Chris Evans on Topgear, I was a bit curious about his daily breakfast show on the BBC Radio 2.

So, having both the Beomedia 1 and Beoport, neither of them let me hear any music from the BBC.

It takes ages to connect and finally I get the message "Playing", but still no sound.

Is it because I'm not from the UK?

As foreigner I also can't watch any videos on ITV.com. Same reason?

• 02-22-2010 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Nradio and BBC Radio, does it work?

I don't know the answer for sure - but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there was a block given the various rights issues on broadcasting music and the royalties payable to artists etc.

In the same vein, here in the UK you can't access the BBC's regional services outside their normal broadcast area for certain football games (where again they've presumably only paid for local broadcast rights).

• 02-22-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

I was wondering if that's the reason indeed.

So, if anyone would try for me inside the UK, then it's obvious. I'm trying all day long.

I have tried to open the latest shows on the BBC site, and then I'm able to listen to them.

And that doesn't make sense. 

• 02-22-2010 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi there, Im living in Germany and after the last 2 updates to beoport I can ounce again receive ALL BBC radio channels on Beoport! With Vista & 7 with no problem, there was a problem over the last two years of updates but this has ounce more been unlocked! I listen to R4 in the mornings in the bathroom on a BL 2000, LUXURY!

Douglas

• 02-22-2010 3:40 PM In reply to

I can recieve it in the Netherlands. I don't use B&O for that, though. But it is only a 48 kbps wma-stream. So not too heavy.

But if Douglas can recieve it in Germany, the most obvious thing I would blame, is your firewall. Can you shut it down to try again?

• 02-22-2010 4:06 PM In reply to

I'm trying several things at the moment right now.

At this moment the BBCi player plays/streams the latest show from this morning.

I'm also installing the latest Beoplayer on my laptop to see if it will work under W7.

But the first impression by starting the NRadio function, it seems it doesn't even know the station Surprise

Reinstalling the Beoplayer, beoplayer keeps asking the ip- address of my BeoMedia, but it can't find the beomedia.

And I know for sure which address it has, and even the Beomedia is mentioned in my networkplaces under W7, weird Confused

I know that by locating the beomedia, the appearence of beoplayer changes a bit. It even takes over the favourite daily events from the Beomedia.

But, you're right. A lot of effort to receive a station with a low quality stream.  

I'll try to change the firewall setting in my router, see what happens.

• 02-22-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

I've also installed Realplayer basic.

That gives me 21 UK working streaming stations (including Radio 4 Living). But the BBC's won't work....

(Have to call it a day, 04.00 am starts the next day..) 

• 02-23-2010 4:39 PM In reply to

I've had it.

Still no luck with BBC 2 radio etc.

Got the beoplayer under W7 working with the Beomedia and the Beomedia sends all the stations and music over to the laptop.

But still no sound using Nradio, Winamp, WMP.

BBC London, Surrey etc do work, so what's the catch?

• 02-24-2010 3:33 AM In reply to

When it comes to BBC TV & Radio programmes via the Internet there are limitations put on some transmissions because of the way the BBC is funded in the UK by the "Licence Fee" which everyone has to pay.

I have to say that these limitations are not full proof because they are monitored by IP address and that is why some UK listeners using mobile broadband also get blocked by mistake.

The rules are basically these:-

• Anyone, anywhere in the world can listen to BBC radio programmes produced by the BBC via the BBC iPlayer
    • Only people in the UK can watch pre-recorded TV programmes via the BBC iPlayer
    • There are limitations put on other players outside the UK for radio programmes including N.RADIO, as I said it is not full proof.

Other UK Commercial Radio stations do not have these restrictions.

For members who are interested in regional UK TV programmes outside their own transmission region can receive all the regions in the UK using FreeSat

Regards Keith....

• 02-24-2010 9:19 AM In reply to

Thanks for your info Keith.

It still seems like a lottery. Several persons I've spoken or heard about mentioned that they can receive these stations without any problems. (here in The Netherlands)

So, probably they "scan" your ip-address, and if you're blacklisted, you won't hear anything.

• 02-24-2010 10:16 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

I tend to agree with DoubleU that it's perhaps something with your setup/internet connection. I'm in South-East Asia and my Beoport has no problem locating some 60 BBC radio stations on a quick count incl. BBC Radio 2 as well as all the local ones(out of 681 U.K. ones) - they are playing just fine.

• 02-24-2010 11:02 AM In reply to

So I finally disabled several blocking functions (of which I do not know exactly what they do) from my firewall in my router.

And yes, it works!!!

So, credits to DoubleU and the final trigger from SAF, thank you! Yes -  thumbs up 

• 02-24-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

That's good to hear. Enjoy the shows on BBC! Smile

• 06-11-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

I'm in the UK right now and it is rather hit or miss as to whether I can receive BBC Radio 4 with N.Radio - it seems to work when selecting the channel, leaving it for the one next to it, then going back to it, so I suspect that there still is an issue with N.Radio's buffering.

BTW, I happily receive Radio 4 over in Spain using a Pure internet radio, so I don't believe that geofiltering is applied on the BBC radio stations for live content.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)