in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2010 4:38 PM by danezro. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2010 10:05 AM

Beolab 4 as a centre speaker for a BV7 - Picture Added

Has anybody got any thoughts or tried using a single Beolab 4 as a central speaker, I currently have a BV7 40 MKII with a pair of Beolab 6000's.

The TV has a standard non motorised table stand which sits on top of a 3 shelf BV3 unit, so as it happens there is exactly enough space to fit a Beolab 4 underneath the TV.

The tight corner position and cost prohibits me from buying a Beolab 7-2.

Eventually when I move house and save up a few more pennies I'll get the correct speaker and use the Beolab 4's as rear speakers, so this is only a temporary solution.

Comments welcome...

• 02-19-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 4 as a centre speaker for a BV7

Well if a beolab 4 is already available to you, why don't you give it a try? Wouldn't hurt to experiment a little.

If it is a temporary solution, it should work just fine.

Evan

• 02-19-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

Besides not knowing, if it's possible to connect a single (mono) speaker as a center, I would strongly suggest to prefer a bl4000 to bl4. Sure bl4000 ist nearly double the price of bl4 (EUR 1.100,- to 610,- now in Germany), but imho you get much better value with the 4000. And later the 4000s as rears will be a much better match to your existing 6000 in terms of looks and performance.

.b

• 02-19-2010 11:52 AM In reply to

Hi, if you have the fixed table stand, then BeoLab 4 should fit, I use BeoLab 4000 as you can see, the rest of the speakers are Lab 3 (front & rear), and I'm planning to add one last Lab 3 soon (when Lee has one available on his site!).

If you have Lab 6000, I think the Lab 4 will be a nice addition, you can always add a non B&O subwoofer later on to really enhance the system.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-19-2010 12:12 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone, I just won a pair on on ebay with the wall brackets for £501 - very pleased indeed, they seem to go for about £500 on their own so the bracket is a bonus (they retail for £180 on their own).

For no particular reason I'm not a big fan of BL4000, I love the aesthetics of the Beolab 4's.

When I get them I'll send a picture of the setup.

• 02-19-2010 6:13 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

danezro:

For no particular reason I'm not a big fan of BL4000, I love the aesthetics of the Beolab 4's.

When I get them I'll send a picture of the setup.

I don't think there's one person who has actually owned BL4000's that would say they don't like them > they're brilliant speakers! Good luck with the 4's, yes they may look nice, but they're very average performers

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-20-2010 3:02 AM In reply to

No offence meant to BL4000 owners, I'm sure they are brilliant speakers; I'm just not a big fan of their looks, that's all.

• 02-20-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Don't use a pair - they'll only couple and give you more volume at lower frequencies. They'll actually sound quite unpleasant at higher frequencies as you move off-axis. Stick to one speaker.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-20-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It not offensive to anyone, it's just rather odd in my opinion...... You don't care how your speakers sound, it's how they look that is all that matters?  Confused

Well, really, if they are going to be rears then it doesn't matter... i got rid of my 4000's once i made them rears, they were completely wasted in that position

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-20-2010 7:44 PM In reply to

Thanks, I was only planning on using one speaker until I can afford a 7-2.  Also, just to clarify - the sound is as important as the looks, all I am saying is that the 4000's aren't my cup of tea, that's all.

• 02-20-2010 9:56 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

danezro:

Thanks, I was only planning on using one speaker until I can afford a 7-2.  Also, just to clarify - the sound is as important as the looks, all I am saying is that the 4000's aren't my cup of tea, that's all.

I have to say, I think I am on the same page as well. I have listened to a pair of the 4000s at my store and I love the sound, but I can't decide if I like them or not aesthetically. I would also place myself in the same category of sound being more important than looks.

Although I'm sure I would get along fine with a pair if I actually had themWink

Evan

• 02-21-2010 12:24 PM In reply to

Alex:

Don't use a pair - they'll only couple and give you more volume at lower frequencies. They'll actually sound quite unpleasant at higher frequencies as you move off-axis. Stick to one speaker.

Agree with Alex - and it is good to see you! Long time no see! Hope all is well and everything is fine.

• 02-21-2010 2:46 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

While there is no question that the BL4000s are superior to the BL4, the BL4s are (IMHO) not nearly as bad as most on this board seem to believe.  My BL4s sound completely different in my home than they did at the store.  I bought mine because they were the only ones my wife would allow in the bedroom, and I'm quite satisfied (sometimes pleasantly surprized) with their performance.  I think they would work well as a center speaker (and later as rears) as they are very clear and quite detailed.

Enjoy your BL4s. Big Smile

Stan

• 02-21-2010 5:09 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

And the same to you. Enjoying Uni very much at the moment! Got a week of not much on at the moment so thought I'd pop on here!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-21-2010 8:29 PM In reply to

I quite like the Lab 4s too, a little underrated imho Yes -  thumbs up

As a small-room speaker, centres or rears they do serve their purpose well. They're probably not the best as a main front speaker though...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-01-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

Just wired up the beolab 4 - and it is fantatistic, going from no central speaker to this has made a massive difference to the sound and overall experience.

here it is....whatya think?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)