in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-23-2010 5:26 PM by geearr. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2010 6:39 AM

• marco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Gold Member

LC 2 AID REQUIRED

Hello at all, i bought a Lc2 on ebay which is broken. it does not respond either by touch or via remote control. i opened and i saw power runs from the beginning to the end of Lc2  but when i put in a light it keeps turned off...

any advise?

Filed under: ,
  • 02-18-2010 6:58 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: LC 2 AID REQUIRED

I may be wrong Marco, but it sounds to be that you've got a useless LC2. If you could control the lights via a remote but the touch dome had failed this could be rectified, indeed I have achieved this, but a completely dead LC2 is another thing!

I don't think I have ever seen on this Forum anyone who has undertaken a repair of the electronics or who is offering this service. 

When you say you have power at the beginning and end of the unit, I assume you are using a voltmeter of some type or a screwdriver with a bulb in it, touching the terminals at each end and finding power at both ends. Is that correct? If so, I'm surprised the light doesn't come on as what you have in effect is a through circuit direct to the light which should cause it to illuminate if not be controlled.

This may sound obvious, but I'm going to suggest it anyway; have you got the positive and negatives in their correct connections and not the wrong way around? Also the LC2 requires a negative feed in addition to the positive in order to work.

Now I'm stuck for any more suggestions!

Good luck.

• 02-18-2010 8:24 AM In reply to

fuse?

• 02-18-2010 8:40 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I thought of fuse also, but discounted this as Marco said he has power in and out of the unit. I believe if the fuse blows, power is of course there at the terminals where the mains connects, but at the other end where the lamp connects, it will be dead. 

Worth a try though!

• 02-18-2010 4:07 PM In reply to

• marco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Gold Member

first at all, thanks to all for your aid.

i saw which fuse it has fitted:it's a  T1,6H 250v but LC2 needs a T1,6AH 250v.... i don't know if a easy "A" on fuse can repair this LC2... anyway yes, power goes in and out of terminal, even with no fuse inside, but anything keeps switched off. i want to try with a voltage tester tomorrow! it's a great mistery!!!

• 02-19-2010 5:14 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Just to confirm Marco and whilst not wishing at all to insult your intelligence, are you sure that you are connecting the mains & lamp to the correct sides of the LC2? They are not marked and without reference to the LC2 instructions it is easy to be confused. I've connected my LC2s up so many times I have now learned by heart where they go in relation to the postion of the red fuse holder.

Finally, as I said before, the LC2 unlike 'normal' dimmer switches, the LC2 will not function without a negative connection, together with the positive, at the mains connection end.

• 02-19-2010 5:44 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

From my experience, the back of the LC2 is reasonably clearly marked with both the in and out directions and the polarity.  Check that the wiring is OK first because you won't be the first to be caught out by this one.  Then remove the fuse and check it, 1.6A should be OK  If this is all correct and the light does not respond to switching on and a touch then you are likely to have a more serious problem that we can look at. 

A photo of your connections would be great.

Regards

Geoff

• 02-19-2010 5:52 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

geearr:

From my experience, the back of the LC2 is reasonably clearly marked with both the in and out directions and the polarity.  Check that the wiring is OK first because you won't be the first to be caught out by this one.  Then remove the fuse and check it, 1.6A should be OK  If this is all correct and the light does not respond to switching on and a touch then you are likely to have a more serious problem that we can look at. 

A photo of your connections would be great.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff, It depends on what you mean by "reasonably clearly marked". I've one in front of me now and I think the markings are quite faint, so much so that I have to confess I've never noticed them before, much to my embarrassment!

When I've wired one up I've always had the wiring diagram in front of me and worked from that. Didn't look for markings on the unit!

• 02-19-2010 6:24 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

kokomo

Totally agree, the markings are faint but they are there and clearly state what is required.  Got caught on that one myself first time around.

Once the wiring and the fuse is sorted out, the diagnosis gets a little easier.

Regards

Geoff

• 02-21-2010 7:11 PM In reply to

• marco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • Posts 5
    • Gold Member

ok. thanks at all. it was given in engineer's hands. i'll tell you any news. bye

• 02-22-2010 4:11 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

marco:

ok. thanks at all. it was given in engineer's hands. i'll tell you any news. bye

If the 'engineer' succeeds in restoring the LC2 to life, I think he/she may have begun what could be a profitable business!

• 02-22-2010 8:17 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Kokomo

The two PCB's that are inside the LC2 are still available as spares so that makes it a lot easier.  Assembly is reasonably straightforward - I just repaired one recently.

Regards

Geoff

• 02-23-2010 5:53 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

geearr:

Kokomo

The two PCB's that are inside the LC2 are still available as spares so that makes it a lot easier.  Assembly is reasonably straightforward - I just repaired one recently.

Regards

Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff. Available from where - B&O or another supplier and how much?

Thanks again.

• 02-23-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

I have repaired a couple of these.

• 02-23-2010 5:26 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Kokomo

In the case of my faulty LC2, I enquired from my local B&O agent whether the PCBs were still available and received a positive reply that they could still get them.  I then ordered the smaller of the two boards that contained the IR sensors from them, because I suspected the problem might be in that area.  If that didn't work out, my plan was then to replace the larger board.  The small PCB cost me less than A$45 and fortunately sorted out the problem.  I never had to order the larger board and don't know what that would have cost.

Regards

Geoff 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)