in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2010 7:18 AM by Karel Uyttendaele. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2010 11:04 AM

NEW BEOSOUND 5 for IPAD

hi,

what do you think about my concept? it's not very professional, just playing arround with photoshop.

the «besound 5 for ipad» can easy connect plug and play to a ipad / mac mini or apple tv combo incl. full software support with itunes.

enjoy

dario

• 02-11-2010 11:08 AM In reply to

Re: NEW BEOSOUND 5 for IPAD

some technical stuff.

• 02-11-2010 11:09 AM In reply to

more technical stuff

• 02-11-2010 11:30 AM In reply to

The great thing would be that you could detach the iPad and use it as a wireless remote, and then dock it to charge it.
  • 02-11-2010 11:53 AM In reply to

Would be brilliant to be able to do that, Phillondon.

Nice - suddenly, the BeoSound 5 would make a lot of sense, being fixed and portable, providing fully integrated "through-the-home" control of one's B&O.

• 02-11-2010 1:26 PM In reply to

I love the idea !!

I guess that's kind of what we were hoping for when it BS5 originally launched.

• 02-11-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

I would see the iPad as an addition to the BS5! Leave the BS5 as it is today... and port the UI over to an iPad :-) that would be a brilliant move!

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 02-11-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

I guess your clever concept should have been the true...Beo 5? Stick out tongue, namely a 2-way remote control panel like in the old days..maybe with the addition of a headphone output for true portability around the house?Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-11-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

I don't think the wheel remains necessary with this concept (and I can't really figure out how it's suppose to attach).

I also agree that I'd be happier with a tablet as an optional add-on than a replacement. I've taken enough years off my life trying to get wi-fi devices to cooperate and I'd just as soon keep my wired option.

While I never saw the iPhone/touch remote as a viable option for control of a system, the iPad's screen real-estate makes it a more interesting option. I'd be interested to see if we or anyone else develop something for it.

Though the Beo6 will probably make all this talk obsolete. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-11-2010 5:02 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    The great thing would be that you could detach the iPad and use it as a wireless remote, and then dock it to charge it.

exactly that was the idea behind the concept and also to exploit synergies from different company leaders. b&o build also tailer-made car sound systems for aston martin and audi. why not cooperate with apple?

expertise from b&o

- leader in active loudspeaker technology

- leader in audio/video design

- leader in user-friendliness

expertise from apple

- leader in intelligent software/hardware solutions

- leader in computer design

- leader in user-friendliness

in future computer and audio/video will more and more connected to real multimedia solutions... software will also more important, so you can upgrade your system for the future. my concept sketch will also show the possibilities for business joint venture in multimedia engineering. the problem today is, you have a lot of tech-stuff at home from different companies who can't connected to each other. reduce to the max was my slogan. ;-)

• 02-11-2010 5:07 PM In reply to

soundproof:

Nice - suddenly, the BeoSound 5 would make a lot of sense, being fixed and portable, providing fully integrated "through-the-home" control of one's B&O.

that was one of several reasons why i don't buy a beosound 5 system. remember the beolink 7000?

• 02-11-2010 5:11 PM In reply to

cooldude:

I love the idea !!

thanks cooldude, maybe we can hope for a redesign? ;-)

• 02-11-2010 5:19 PM In reply to

The BS5 UI would look great on an iPad, but people tend to forget the deficiencies of the BeoMaster 5 as your one-and-only media center. Until B&O get that part right (with full support for iTunes, NAS, HD/SD Video, and others) this BS5 UI on iPad is imho waste of time.

• 02-11-2010 5:24 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

I guess your clever concept should have been the true...Beo 5? Stick out tongue, namely a 2-way remote control panel like in the old days..maybe with the addition of a headphone output for true portability around the house?Smile

i had a beosystem 4500 incl. beolink 7000 and 5000. nice and seminal system indeed... ;-)

• 02-11-2010 5:27 PM In reply to

superdario:

cooldude:

I love the idea !!

thanks cooldude, maybe we can hope for a redesign? ;-)

That would be a first .......lol
    However I do like the idea of the plug-in charger dock with B&O scroll wheel and its versatility very much.
    At least the ipad will have a proper dock to go back to. 

• 02-11-2010 5:54 PM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

there is no need for the wheel itself. For example ,in the app store there are plenty of DJ apps where you can spin a virtuel vinyl. thanks to the multi touch a very nice experience...

TT

• 02-12-2010 4:02 AM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

you tahe an IPAD + remote app+ airport express on the AUX of a beocenter 9300 and you have something much better than beosound 5

and all in apple lossless!!!!!

never explain never complain

• 02-12-2010 5:04 AM In reply to

cooldude:

However I do like the idea of the plug-in charger dock with B&O scroll wheel and its versatility very much.
    At least the ipad will have a proper dock to go back to. 

exactly! the plug-and-play connection is so simple with ipads 30pin connector...

• 02-12-2010 5:24 AM In reply to

Tomaz:

there is no need for the wheel itself. For example ,in the app store there are plenty of DJ apps where you can spin a virtuel vinyl. thanks to the multi touch a very nice experience...

right... but my concept is, if the ipad is connected to the beosound 5, you can use the wheel for navigation. so you'll have the same sense like you using the beosound 5. maybe you can combinate some function with the touch display... i remember, when i first saw the beosound 5 by my bang & olufsen dealer, i was touching on the display instinctively... maybe it was confirmed habit from using the beolink 7000 and iphone. ;-)

• 02-12-2010 5:36 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

Though the Beo6 will probably make all this talk obsolete. 

Trip, do you conceal s.th. from us? Big Smile

• 02-12-2010 7:23 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

yep!..and add Airfoil , and you can stream sound from and to any kind of source :-)

/Peter

• 02-12-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

I think the Ipad/Beo concept looks great. It's the wireless part  that seems the most logical.

Trip and other wifi naysayers - I don't get it. Wifi is not perfect but it works. I know people in NY highrises and it works. I know people in single family homes surrounded by lots of grass, and it works. The fact that B&O cannot make a wireless ML product that works, or that they can no longer make a wireless 2-way remote that works, well shame on them. I have two Ipod Touches that control an AppleTV and they just work. I listen to ATV music throughout the house on my Avant, BV8, BS3000, and 3 other (wired) ML rooms! It all just works. A lot B&O and little Apple here and there. Oh BTW my computer at work AND at home is Windows, so I'm no Apple fan boy. I can hear it already, "you're not the typical (read profitable) B&O customer. Ok, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of companies died while serving their "typical" customers b/c they did not adopt simple technologies (perhaps like wifi). Ofcourse, I want B&O to thrive b/c I like most of their awesome products.

B&O we don't need or want geeky stuff to make wifi work. Promise. It just works (usually, kind of like some B&O priducts). So why downplay anything that's not invented here. Surely we know that's not the way to the future.

• 02-12-2010 5:27 PM In reply to

beo-ap:

I think the Ipad/Beo concept looks great. It's the wireless part  that seems the most logical.

Trip and other wifi naysayers - I don't get it. Wifi is not perfect but it works. I know people in NY highrises and it works. I know people in single family homes surrounded by lots of grass, and it works. The fact that B&O cannot make a wireless ML product that works, or that they can no longer make a wireless 2-way remote that works, well shame on them. I have two Ipod Touches that control an AppleTV and they just work. I listen to ATV music throughout the house on my Avant, BV8, BS3000, and 3 other (wired) ML rooms! It all just works. A lot B&O and little Apple here and there. Oh BTW my computer at work AND at home is Windows, so I'm no Apple fan boy. I can hear it already, "you're not the typical (read profitable) B&O customer. Ok, but that doesn't mean anything. Lots of companies died while serving their "typical" customers b/c they did not adopt simple technologies (perhaps like wifi). Ofcourse, I want B&O to thrive b/c I like most of their awesome products.

B&O we don't need or want geeky stuff to make wifi work. Promise. It just works (usually, kind of like some B&O priducts). So why downplay anything that's not invented here. Surely we know that's not the way to the future.

Your personal experience is 1. Regardless of what you've heard from your friends, the total experience that yo've personally had with this setup is limited to yourself. 

I install between 2 or 3 a month and have attempted to make it work in both my houses. I've seen about 1/3 work perfectly, 1/3 work with quirks, and 1/3 completely unusable due to dropouts. Add to that the reduced speed of the network while the music is streaming. Add to that the fact that you're either streaming from a switched on computer or locked into the miserable AppleTV platform (which holds about half my music collection without videos even entering into the equation) and you've got a lousy experience for a large contingent of users. 

The little AppleTV / Airport Express setup, to me, is like Bose. I think there's a crucial niche in the market for these types of novel "plug and play" solutions, but they're just not robust enough to suit the high-end client. I've bought my parents Bose and I've suggested the Apple setup to friends, but I'd no sooner recommend it to a client than give them the flu.

The only wireless system I've ever seen work well is Sonos, but its own limits (streaming only being the biggest issue, and "closed system" being the second biggest) prevent me from using it in many jobs. The wireless part of it is pretty solid, though. Apple could learn a thing or two from them! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-13-2010 2:49 AM In reply to

Trip, you clearly don't know much about WiFi, about throughspeeds, about "bottlenecks", about stability issues, or about how to configure the setup properly.

So how can you use your own experiences to denigrate the potential. Lots of users on this forum have WiFi networks that work excellently.

Just to comment on one of several items in your post:

"Add to that the reduced speed of the network while the music is streaming." Funny.

My quite inexpensive WiFi, which operates in an apartment where I can "see" another ten networks, is capable of:

Having two computers surfing the net without any reduction of network speed - while Music is streamed to one MacMini, two Airport Express Units, one iMac -- at the same time.

For fun, I once sent one film to the BV8 in my home office; another film to the MacMini in the home theatre; a third film to my daughter's iMac; music to the Airport Express units -- with four different computers demanding data from the ReadyNAS Server, on the WiFi network. It worked.
    They were different films, mind you, in DVD-resolution (not divx'ed). When I tried to add a fourth film to the batch (to a MacBook Pro), I got the first sign that the network was starting to feel the load.

I did read the instructions on how to set up a network, that helped.

That said, wiring for Ethernet is a perfectly good option.

Your constant slagging of Apple products, with claims that they underperform, deliver bad sound, etc., is just not helping your cause, I think. Those who know a little bit about sound management in OSX will know you're completely wrong - but then we're also likely to have read the instructions as to how to set up for best possible sound porting.

BTW - in another thread you wrote the following, which made you seem ridiculously bent out of shape by Apple products:

TripEnglish:

I'd say that watching grass grow is better than AppleTV!

Since an ATV is delivering tv-series and movies in HD sound and vision to my home, as well as allowing the display of our family photographs in HD, as well as permitting us to enjoy numerous podcasts, internet radio, YouTube - and allows us to not only play the music we have on servers and Mac's throughout the house, we can also purchase music (and film and television series), with a little ATV that hasn't failed or hickup'd once since it was bought more than two years ago, and which keeps updating itself to make certain it doesn't ...

This from a unit which ports content through HDMI, mind you, in CD-resolution sound (or 48kHz when sending multichannel movies/tv-series) and with a 1080i image. And you really should try the hand gestures control of movie and tv-series playback on the iPod Touch or iPhone - magic. Below you'll see a little selection of the films available on my harddisk, which will play instantly should I press one - and where ff, rewind, pause, chapter selection, etc., is easily available on my iPhone or iPod touch - with the content being constantly displayed and updated.

How is all of this worse than watching grass grow?

Big Smile

• 02-15-2010 4:54 AM In reply to

Everything the BS5 should have been, but more Stick out tongue  thumbs up to you... wonder what B&O make of this...

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >