in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-17-2011 4:12 AM by Kokomo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2010 5:36 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Lutron Rania light control

On their website Lutron have a range of Rania wall light dimmers. Am I correct in thinking however that they have only one which is B&O compatable?

If so, is this unit a 'replacement' for the LC2, by which I mean can a LC2 be disconnected, the Rania connected in its place and dimming light control then achieved as before?

Finally, if the answer to the above is 'yes', is the unit only available via a B&O store and what is its retail price please?

Thanks.

• 02-11-2010 6:35 AM In reply to

Re: Lutron Rania light control

Hi, the lutron is not a replacement to the LC2, it replaces the actual light switch on the wall, you can see how it works here:

http://www.lightbutton.com/  (Click the light switch on the wall)

I believe the price to be around £125.00 and can be purchased direct from your Bang & Olufsen dealer.

Regards,
    Cal

• 02-11-2010 8:56 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Cal, that's what I thought. I was just a little concerned that the unit, although sold seperately, had to be installed as part of a larger control system rather than 'stand-alone'.

As for it being a replacement for a wall light switch, yes I can see it's designed for that purpose, but I can see no reason why it cannot be used other than in a wall and therefore as such would be almost as versatile as the LC2 and able to be installed in a variety of locations.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks again Cal.

• 02-11-2010 9:10 AM In reply to

kokomo:

As for it being a replacement for a wall ight switch, yes I can see it's designed for that purpose, but I can see no reason why it cannot be used other than in a wall and therefore as such would be almost as versatile as the LC2 and able to be installed in a variety of locations.

From the picture, it looks like it is only built for flush mounting in a standard instrument box (or whatever the correct name for it in English might be). That means that on the bare device, all the connectors are visible with no pull-off protection, and it will be both unsafe and illegal to use it as such. You can get those mounting boxes separately for surface mounting as well, but they are all big and ugly - and you still need to screw them down with fixed wiring, so they won't work in the middle of a lamp cord for example, like the LC2 does.

-mika

• 02-11-2010 11:55 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

kokomo:

As for it being a replacement for a wall ight switch, yes I can see it's designed for that purpose, but I can see no reason why it cannot be used other than in a wall and therefore as such would be almost as versatile as the LC2 and able to be installed in a variety of locations.

From the picture, it looks like it is only built for flush mounting in a standard instrument box (or whatever the correct name for it in English might be). That means that on the bare device, all the connectors are visible with no pull-off protection, and it will be both unsafe and illegal to use it as such. You can get those mounting boxes separately for surface mounting as well, but they are all big and ugly - and you still need to screw them down with fixed wiring, so they won't work in the middle of a lamp cord for example, like the LC2 does.

Totally agree with the point being made, but all I was saying is that it COULD be an alternative to the LC2 in some circumstances.

Yes it won't be as attractive but set into a suitable box and mounted discreetly on the wall (low down if possible), from the front it would look ok I think. And for a brand new product it's far less costly than used LC2s are currently fetching on eBay!

• 02-11-2010 1:15 PM In reply to

Totally disagree! Stick out tongue

Lutron is a brand with high-end products, and this dimmer has the aesthetics of what the LC2 always should have been: Flush mounted!

• 02-12-2010 4:11 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

DoubleU:

Totally disagree! Stick out tongue

Lutron is a brand with high-end products, and this dimmer has the aesthetics of what the LC2 always should have been: Flush mounted!

Not sure who you're disagreeing with, but if it's me well that's OK!

If the choice was between buying a new Lutron unit or a new LC2, I would perhaps choose the LC2, notwithstanding I've had 2 fail on me. But the LC2 has been out of production for years.

I currently have 8 in use and therefore am seeking viable alternatives when, as is likely, one next fails (and then the rest!). Used LC2s are currently attracting high prices with of course the high risk of failure 'soon' because of their age. 

None of mine are being used as in-wall switch replacements, so the LC2 is a fine option compared to the limited mounting options of the Lutron. The lower cost of a new Lutron compared to the used LC2 would however persuade me to adapt it for general use.

• 11-16-2011 8:22 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

How did you get on with the Lutron Rania light dimmer? Did you get it to work with Beo4 remote?

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 11-17-2011 3:55 AM In reply to

Whilst, the LC2 was constructed and marketed by B&O as an "in cable" device, it can be wall mounted as shown.

Regards Keith....

• 11-17-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Whilst, the LC2 was constructed and marketed by B&O as an "in cable" device, it can be wall mounted as shown.

That's exactly how 4 of mine  are currently mounted! I think they look great like that. 'Luckily', here in Spain rooms are constructed with several small panels high up around the room which permit access to the house wiring. Mounting an LC2 on the panel itself with all wiring going behind and wired into the wiring system results in a very neat installation in that there are no visible wires going to and from the unit.

I just wish there were 'cheaper' alternatives available. How difficult is it I wonder to produce remote controlled dimmers able to accept B&O signals? From those available on the market currently, it's either very expensive to do so or the manufacturers concerned can do so quite easily and cheaply but load on a heft price premium for the B&O market!   

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)