in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-03-2011 4:29 AM by Chrisreunion. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2011 3:28 PM In reply to

Re: BeoPlayer/BeoPort/BeoSound 5 & gapless music: where are we?

Stan:

I spent some time recently inside their Cupertino offices, it seems like "perfect" is the prevailing self-image of Apple employees, their work and their company.  This would worry me as arrogance tends to be a precursor to most failures.  I wish them the best of luck. 

Stan

Fully agree, we have seen with many technology firms, Apple in the past, companies like Dell and Microsoft over the past few years, and not to forget, B&OSad

• 05-24-2011 4:07 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Stan:
    This would worry me as arrogance tends to be a precursor to most failures.  I wish them the best of luck. 

Apple have been down this road before, and their arrogance with their proprietary formats, firewire, etc etc.  I forsee their demise with users ultimately locked in to doing things their way, rather than an eco centric approach.

B&O are right to piggy back on the success that many people have been locked in with formats through the Apple Store that they have to keep their iphones, when they mightn't want to, and make products like the BS8.  I think it was Elephant that said, or maybe i read it somewhere else, where people really are stuck with Apple because of the amount of content they have purchased in a particular format. 

Let's hope that ultimately the BS5 reaches a better price point, because really, its the equivalent of an Imac (which you can mount on a wall), with a better DAC and better connections.  Plus I would love one, but would rather spend the $10,000 AUD on something else. 

• 05-24-2011 7:05 AM In reply to

Hello, hello

It's entirely possible Ive missed the point... Perhaps this is only an issue for Beosound 5?

However I have a beocentre 2, a mac mini, beoport and itunes all working together.. and they play gapless without any difficulty..

Having said that.. Im never game to update my itunes software for fear of beoport becoming completely useless

I cant imagine just having a beosound 5.. not being able to play CD's which frankly sound much better!  So, until the beocentre 2 and beoport are completely obsolete, I think I'll stick with them!!

I'll probably regret posting this...

Best Wishes

David

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 05-24-2011 10:35 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

david coyne:

Im never game to update my itunes software for fear of beoport becoming completely useless

I cant imagine just having a beosound 5.. not being able to play CD's which frankly sound much better!  So, until the beocentre 2 and beoport are completely obsolete, I think I'll stick with them!!

David, I was in your boat... had a BeoPort and it was working fine.  However, accidentially upgrading iTunes to find BeoPort no longer worked, searching the web for the previous version, then downgrading (silly me, I actually did this more than once), then finding that somewhere along the way the BeoPort navigation of the iTunes library became wonky, about every 3rd or 4th time I started BeoPort, I'd have to reboot something (enough that my wife gave up on using it), finally became enough to pitch it in favor of the BS5.  It just became too fiddly.

If you rip to lossless, the BS5 sounds as good as CDs.  I still have my BS9000...  I'd kind of like to sell it to fund BL9s, but my wife and kids disagree.  Oh well...

Stan

• 05-24-2011 10:59 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Everything seemed okay with BeoPort, but we had several issues with software and ease of use; when one day we purchased the AppleTV2 (ATV2) and everything changed.

What we didn’t know was that ATV2 has something called Airplay, which means that it will reach out wirelessly to a device and pull in the content. Since the ATV2 is connected to the Avant, the Avant is serving as the gateway to the ML and all of our content is moving through our home. The interface is wonderful and the ease of use could not be better.

The BeoPort has not been turned on for the last six months.

• 05-24-2011 3:53 PM In reply to

Karla:
    Since the ATV2 is connected to the Avant, the Avant is serving as the gateway to the ML and all of our content is moving through our home. The interface is wonderful and the ease of use could not be better.

How do you control music selection in remote rooms ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-25-2011 1:47 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Karla:
    Since the ATV2 is connected to the Avant, the Avant is serving as the gateway to the ML and all of our content is moving through our home. The interface is wonderful and the ease of use could not be better.

So for the delay in getting back to you with a reply to a really good question. The answer: we control the music via mobil phone, back to the computer; but normally we don’t control anything because we set it up with playlists. I really don’t have the time or imagination to keep picking out songs. I simply group them and play them.  

• 05-25-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

Karla:

elephant:

Karla:

So for the delay in getting back to you with a reply to a really good question. The answer: we control the music via mobil phone, back to the computer; but normally we don’t control anything because we set it up with playlists. I really don’t have the time or imagination to keep picking out songs. I simply group them and play them.  

what App do you run on the mobile phone ? I use Apple's "remote" app on my iPad

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-25-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

Karla:
    I really don’t have the time or imagination to keep picking out songs

Sounds like you need MOTSWhistle

• 05-25-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

sjmcguckin:

Karla:
    I really don’t have the time or imagination to keep picking out songs

Sounds like you need MOTSWhistle

Perhaps he does Whistle

In my case I use three other techniques which are pseduo-MOTS:

1. I have a number of saved "genius" playlists that were automatically created from seeds that were favourite songs - the disadvantage is that the playlists are not automatically updated as I add more content to our library
    2. I can use the automatically refreshed "genius" genre playlists - but there are only 16 of these, and some have disappeared as I have added more and more diverse content to the our library 
    3. For a particular song that is playing, I can initiate "genius" mode from that song and listen to that particular playlist (and even save it if so choose)
    But not quite MOTS Laughing

• 05-25-2011 5:53 PM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

I have an old form of MOTS that is really amazing. I load my music selections in the 9000, turn on the random function, and it plays all the music that I really like!

The other source for music in our house is the music that streams from the computer to the AppleTV2 to the Avant to the ML; and the computer music selection is controlled through an Android phone via an app called: TunesRemote.

• 05-26-2011 4:53 PM In reply to

Back on topic..

Why not rip your CD as one track? It always will be gapless, no matter what format you choose, no matter which (future) player you use.

Ripping a CD this way will also give you a cue-file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29

Unfortunatly the cue-files are not supported with the BS5. The only downside is that you don't see the artist/title of the individual tracks on the CD. So tagging this big mp3/flac/whatever is the best you can do. But at least your music is gapless!

• 05-26-2011 5:48 PM In reply to

OMG this is crazy!  Even a £39 iPod shuffle plays gapless and Apple Lossless!

• 05-27-2011 2:12 AM In reply to

Seriously, are you comparing an inferior portable player?

• 05-27-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

Yes i'm saying a £39 apple will do things that dam £4500 out of date box will not.  Oh dear, B&O awesome TVs and speakers but apart from BS8, their hifi's are simply out of touch and explains why people won't buy them!

• 05-27-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

DoublU, how would MOTS work if you rip the CD as one track. If they cant support apple lossless the other good option would be to read that gapless tag in Itunes and filter and handle it in the player software.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-27-2011 2:40 PM In reply to

Good question! Probably it won't work. But a rock-, classical-concert, DJ-mix, cabaret performer, etc, last for an hour or so. Do you really need MOTS, with these CD's?

• 05-27-2011 6:05 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Agree! That's why I sold my BS5 and got back to a BC2, I was fed up waiting for an update which will never be released I think.

• 06-03-2011 4:29 AM In reply to

Regarding the ALAC playback on non "IDevices", I came accross an interesting Wikipedia article that I've pasted below:

"David Hammerton and Cody Brocious have analyzed and decoded this codec without any documents on the format. On March 5, 2005, Hammerton published a simple open source decoder in the programming language C on the basis of the reverse engineering work.

The open source library libavcodec incorporates both a decoder and an encoder for Apple Lossless format which means that media players based on that library, including VLC media player and MPlayer, are able to play Apple Lossless files. The library was subsequently optimized for ARM processors and included in Rockbox."

What prevents B&O from using these open source libraries?Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2