in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2010 4:50 PM by Dave Moulton. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2010 5:41 PM

Listening room size & BL 5

Dear All:

What is the consensus here on the ideal room size for a pair of BL 5s? 4 BL 5s?  I know Dave prefers 4 to 2 BL 5s, what size room does he recommend?  

Listening would be done at sensible levels.  I do not want blow roof off of  the house or annoy the neighbors next door.  By the way, the house is not in an apartment/condo complex.  

Regards,

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 02-07-2010 10:30 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Listening room size & BL 5

Hi Dario,

in our previous location we had a secluded listening room which was about 18' x 12', and I found it too small to really allow the BeoLab 5's to fully express themselves...I have never heard them in a room which I have thought too large.  Devil

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 02-08-2010 2:48 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Russ:

about 18' x 12'

5,5 m x 3,5 m ?

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 02-08-2010 4:06 AM In reply to

HI

I have a pair in my livingroom (5x5 meters). I live in an apartment complex with wooden floors. I am very happy with my speakers even though the conditions are not optimal. Fortunately BL5´s can adapt to different rooms so if there is room for them, buy them, they will never sound worse than other speakers because of the room size. Of cause, whether  they are overkill in small rooms is another case :-)

/Ehlerz 

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 02-08-2010 10:18 PM In reply to

Room size is simply not an issue with BeoLab 5s.  During the design phase, we never even discussed the possibility of there being a "minimum" room size for the speaker.  

I've used them in a tiny office (2.5 m x 3.3 m) and in a cathedral (30 m x 60 m x 20 m).  The ABC adapts the low-frequency part of the spectrum to whatever room they are in AND their position in the room.  The power is adequate for almost anything.  

The only reason not to have them in every room in the house is cost, and the nagging feeling that I don't really need to have BeoLab 5s in the breakfast nook!  

I hope this helps.  

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 02-08-2010 11:14 PM In reply to

In my view room size is an issue with Beolab 5's, they sound congested and do not perform in smaller environments (Beolab 9's are far superior in most setups where I have placed Beolab 5's).  Many years ago I tried them in a 8m long room, 3m wide, they were very average.

Twice I have collected Beolab 5's from customers who use with Beolab 2 subwoofers in smaller rooms.  The first time I thought it was a joke, the second time I began to look into it further.  The auto-calibration dampens the bass output in smaller environments, so much so that the advice I was given prior to (re)installation was to use an extension lead, take them out into the garden and calibrate them outside!

The above may be technically flawed but from someone who listens to Beolab 5's in varying room sizes, all i can say that is Beolab 5's need a larger environment to perform well, in my experience they are suffocated in smaller rooms.

• 02-09-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

KingOfSnake:

In my view room size is an issue with Beolab 5's, they sound congested and do not perform in smaller environments (Beolab 9's are far superior in most setups where I have placed Beolab 5's).  Many years ago I tried them in a 8m long room, 3m wide, they were very average.

Twice I have collected Beolab 5's from customers who use with Beolab 2 subwoofers in smaller rooms.  The first time I thought it was a joke, the second time I began to look into it further.  The auto-calibration dampens the bass output in smaller environments, so much so that the advice I was given prior to (re)installation was to use an extension lead, take them out into the garden and calibrate them outside!

The above may be technically flawed but from someone who listens to Beolab 5's in varying room sizes, all i can say that is Beolab 5's need a larger environment to perform well, in my experience they are suffocated in smaller rooms.

I've got to quibble with parts of this, noting that KingOfSnake is absolutely entitled to his opinion and preferences.  Characterizations such as "they sound congested" and "Beolab 9s are far superior in most setups  .  .  ." always make me extremely uncomfortable in the absence of the scientific underpinning of appropriate test and measurement.  Such characterizations are, of necessity, anecdotal opinions and I get unhappy when they are instead presented as close to general fact.  Sorry about that, but it makes me cringe.  

The B&O development team (especially Jan Abildgaard Pedersen) worked quite hard to get the ABC to work reliably and consistently in a great range of rooms.  There was some serious science there, with exhaustive test & measurement, listening evaluation and endless discussions about "what do you mean by the right amount of bass?"    

Calibrating the BeoLab 5s outdoors (in a free field, essentially) will cause them to increase their bass output.  It seems to me that such an outcome is what you actually prefer to our measured "flat response."  Your preference for the Beolab 9 suggests the same, because it was voiced to have a substantial bottom end, which I enjoy plenty but often feel is just a bit much.  

Keep in mind, the Beolab 9 has basically a "single response" solution while the Beolab 5 has an "infinite adaptation to power response" solution.  The appropriate way to change the voicing of the Beolab 5, should you not like its realization of "flat," is through the use of a good equalizer. Interestingly, I have experimented with a number of EQ tweaks for just this reason.  Never adopted any of them permanently.  

So, returning to room size: I can think of no physical reason for the Beolab 5 to be constrained by a small room.  I have mixed with them in some VERY small rooms, and found them extremely easy to use.  One of the things I adore about them is their room-to-room consistency (a result of manufacturing consistency that is to closer tolerances than any other speaker manufactured, the ABC, and ALT).  

As I said at the outset, you are absolutely entitled to your opinions and preferences.  I do have qualms about your science, with all due respect.  

Best regards,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)