in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2010 8:33 PM by Phil Hunt. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2010 5:24 PM

MMC4 sylus angle---pic!

Per recommendation on my earlier post, I have a picture of my mmc4....as one will see, the cartridge orientation seems correct. But the stylus (which is what I'm calling the cantilever/diamond assembly) has a distinct rearward orientation, and after seeing "before and after" ultrasonic cleaning under the microscope, then seeing this cantilever/diamond at an angle much like a backhoe digging a ditch, I could only envision my vinyl collection becoming literally just that: a collection on the tip and cantilever of the mmc4!...1.2gm tracking force, I tried physically pushing down more, and the cantilever seems fluid. I read the cantilever mounting/dampening attachment can stiffen through time? It feels pliant and responsive to me, but maybe it's too intricate for me to know?

Any input or comparisons to others greatly appreciated---Heinrich

• 02-07-2010 5:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: MMC4 sylus angle---pic!

Yes, that one has a suspension fault.
    Ship it to Axel in Germany. He can retip it.

Martin

• 02-07-2010 6:00 PM In reply to

Thanks for reply...Now help me set my mind at ease...I'm theorizing that due to the angle, the upper part of the diamond rode in the upper part of the groove, thereby limiting the tip from making my vinyl do a  "shake yo groove thing"- ya ya -LOL

• 02-08-2010 5:42 AM In reply to

Interesting thread!

This thread made me worry about my own MMC4.

Maybe someone can post a pic of what the angle should look like with a good cartridge?

Mine sounds fine but the angle always seemed a little too big to me too... Geeked

EDIT: found this, interesting read: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/30060/239054.aspx#239054

• 02-08-2010 3:05 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

This is a pretty worn MMC4 I have pictured but gives an idea of the angle of the cantilever which is pretty much in line with the cartridge body. As you can see the stylus does some what "drag" back into the record groove (it is a white vinyl copy of The Stone Roses on the platter in case you're wondering).

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-08-2010 10:01 PM In reply to

Lederman from AudioAsylum, Vinyl asylum

After reading the entire thread and examining my Soundsmith retipped Shure V-15VxMR I became rather concerned even though the sound had been exemplary. SO - I emailed Peter Ledermann at Soundsmith to get the straight scoop. At least now I know that you cannot judge the rake angle of his styli visually. Wheeewwwwwww!

Below the pic is the relevant portion of his reply.

"What you are looking at is our OC-CL diamond, which DOES “look” to have a VERY steep rake angle; it is an optical illusion. The manner in which the diamond itself is cut allows the rake angle to be about the 2 degrees it need to be, while a casual look would make it appear to be about 25 degrees."

• 02-09-2010 3:14 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Lederman from AudioAsylum, Vinyl asylum

Yes, but the cartridge in question here is an original B&O and I would think that they were all
    identical and should look the same ?
    It sure looks a bit steeper than what I remember them to be and, even if the
    angle of the photo may be slightly different, there also seems to be a clear
    difference in the riding height of the cartidge housing over the record surface if
    compared to Chris'.
    Chris' is also an original and if you draw a parallel line to the cantilever,
    you can see that where Chris' cantilever is more horizontal compared to the
    Bang & Olufsen lettering on the housing, Heinrich's is definitely more vertical.
    Maybe a 45 degrees difference between the two.

Martin

• 02-09-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

FWIW, all of mine (those that were not broken) have had the stylus more or less in line with the cartridge bottom (or the B&O script). This includes my SMMC4 as well. Perhaps a bit lower when off the record and a bit higher when playing, of course.

Seems only natural when you think of the internal construction of the cartridge - why would it be angled inside, when the entire cartridge body is designed to sit in an angle?

-mika

• 02-09-2010 8:33 PM In reply to

I'm not disagreeing! The poster on VinylAsylum was concerned that his stylus was inclined backwards hugely and was damaging the vinyl. Peter posted that Shure picture and explained that the stylus angle we perceive is not the orientation at the focus of the stylus. I appreciated that info and the photographic example of what is appropriate for a Soundsmith stylus. (and possibly a MMC as well)

That said,l  hold an index card up to any of the 3 pictures here and align the long side with the cantilever. Now mark the 2 points where the record edge intersects the 2 sides of the card. Then do the same with the 2 other pics, aligning the long edge to the cantilever and adjusting the card so the right hand mark is coincident with that record edge. Make a new mark for each other cantilever on the left side of your card. Which 2 cantilevers are nearly identical? (hint-not the first)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)