in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2010 1:24 PM by ®. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2010 12:59 PM

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Broken LC2

I dropped my LC2 from a small height but it hit the lamp base and now it doesn't work. It doesn't respond to touch or remote and the lamp is remaining off. Any tips before I strip it down?

• 02-05-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Broken LC2

Well, there's not much else in there to directly suffer from physical hits than the fuse...

Of course it could've knocked open a soldering joint of some heavier component, but start with the simple things.

-mika

• 02-05-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Thanks, fuse checked ok. Fuse and the red holder swapped from a working LC2. AC voltage measured on the in terminals but nothing on the out terminals. There's nothing loose nothing visually wrong at this stage however I'm trying to figure out how to get into the thing. Are the TORX screws the only thing holding it together?

• 02-05-2010 1:50 PM In reply to

Unfortunately I've never opened one, so can't help there... we don't seem to have a service manual either (I'm afraid these were never meant to be serviced). But if there are screws visible, I wouldn't expect any special tricks are needed to open it. Hopefully someone else knows more about the internals.

-mika

• 02-05-2010 2:22 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Service manual anyone?

• 02-05-2010 7:44 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Richard, I bought  a new  touch dome for one of mine that failed.
    Inside, there is a 'magic tube' that barely touches the dome. On the inside of the dome, there is a metalic spiders web type thing.
    The whole thing is reminiscent of one of those plasma glass ball playthings, that you put your hands on and watch the static reach out to your touch.
    I have to tell you, I never succeeded in the repair, but have kept it all for possible future repair.
    Good luck, and I will eagerly await your post on the successful repair.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-06-2010 3:13 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Cheers Andy. I've not managed to get past the torx screws yet. Tough little buggers and i dont want to strip them. LC2's are £250 at Lee's shop so looks like an insurance claim.

• 02-06-2010 5:06 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I've got two non-working ones. Have looked inside, but not surprisingly 'looking' hasn't revived them. I try them out now and then hoping they may have repaired themsleves! Don't have the heart or courage to throw them out.

They seem to be the equivalent of art as regards the way their value seems to increase. As I've said before on this Forum, why B&O don't produce an LC3 is beyond me.

• 02-07-2010 2:08 AM In reply to

®:

Thanks, fuse checked ok. Fuse and the red holder swapped from a working LC2. AC voltage measured on the in terminals but nothing on the out terminals. There's nothing loose nothing visually wrong at this stage however I'm trying to figure out how to get into the thing. Are the TORX screws the only thing holding it together?

Hi ®,

yes, the LC2 can be opened using a TORX screw driver. After removing all covers you will find a small PCB with some electronic parts on it. There are also some heavy parts (inductor / coil) which's soldering may be broken.

Q: Is the LC2 still reacting to the remote control (and only manual control by touching the dome is no longer working) or is it totally dead?

Hagen

• 02-07-2010 2:13 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

Richard, I bought  a new  touch dome for one of mine that failed.
    Inside, there is a 'magic tube' that barely touches the dome. On the inside of the dome, there is a metalic spiders web type thing.
    The whole thing is reminiscent of one of those plasma glass ball playthings, that you put your hands on and watch the static reach out to your touch.
    I have to tell you, I never succeeded in the repair, but have kept it all for possible future repair.
    Good luck, and I will eagerly await your post on the successful repair.

Andy T.

Hi Andy,

it's quite easy to fix the non-working dome using conductive silver paint. This paint is also used commonly for repairing heated rear windows. The 'magic tube' also is electrically conductive. All you have to care for is that the metallic spiders web is connected to the PCB. When I repaired one of mine LC2s all the was necessary was just a drop of silver paint at the point where the 'magic tube' hit the spiders web.

Hagen

• 02-07-2010 2:37 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Hagen2000:

.. or is it totally dead?

totally dead.

• 02-07-2010 4:52 AM In reply to

I have been following this topic for a while nowWhistle

Now it's dead I really could use the parts, see my topic http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/31354.aspx

If you are planning to sell itGift?

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-08-2010 1:24 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Sure, once the insurance co. have done their stuff I'll strip it for spares. P.M. me.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)