in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-05-2010 1:39 PM by Medogsfat. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2010 10:20 PM

MMC4 stylus angle

Hello Beogram Persons! My latest question concerns the angle of the stylus/cantilever to the record groove. I have set up my Beo2000/MMC4 with 1.2 gms tracking force. I noticed the stylus is angled back into the record groove some 30 deg. from vertical (or 60 deg. from horizontal). It really looks kind of destructive for the vinyl. The cantilever seems normally fluid but even if I force it upward some, the angle seems excessive. I cross-checked against my ReVox Linatrak table and it's cartridge/stylus has a much more perpendicular orientation. The B&O's angle seems to me contrary to how I visualize the stylus vibrating responsively side to side in a record groove.

Question: Does B&O have a spec (max or min deviation from vertical) on this, or possibly other cartridge manufacturers? Might someone check theirs with a protractor and let me know what they think of all above?

PS-Picked up a VG copy of Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses" (1978) today...Never heard (of) it...yet!

• 02-05-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: MMC4 stylus angle

To be honest you would probably be better off posting a photo for comparison amongst other members. It will be quite apparent if the angle is way wrong. IIRC the vertical tracking angle is adjusted by raising/lowering the platter on the leaf spring adjusters, if everything elase is correct the top surface of the platter should sit about 2 - 3mm proud of the surrounding top plate.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)