in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-21-2007 7:43 AM by Alex. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2007 3:14 PM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I finally did it... I now own a MacBook Pro

This saturday morning I visited an electronic/computershop and they had just gotten a MBP the day before, I even got the same discount as I would have got at apple.com as a student, but now I can just go down to the store, should I have a problem with it. I also got a wireless mighty mouse. Smile

It will take some time getting used to, and I better put it aside for a week until my last exam is over, but it's just so beautiful.
    The whole Mac OSX is going to take me all summer to get used to I think, it sure is something else, for instance, I have no idea why there are little "drives" icons after installing programs. I have deleted some of them, but then I couldn't find the program anymore. Do I have to have these on my desktop, as I like this clean and tidy??

I will probably post a lot of silly questions on here during the summer Geeked

Regarding frontrow, is there anyway to use it without the remote, and does anybody else have experience with it being incredibly slow when going back from watching a .avi file?? Last time I used it, it just froze, I could turn off the computer by pressing the power button and enter, but that was all Sad

• 06-18-2007 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: I finally did it... I now own a MacBook Pro

Hi Toubro,

How much RAM do you have? The performance really notches up if it has two GB.

Once you have downloaded a program, you must move it to the applications folder. From the finder, just type COMMAND (Apple symbol) + N and you will open a window showing your various sub-folders. Place the app's inside the applications folder. From there you can also drag them to the dock. The app remains in the folder, but you create an alias of the app, and it will open when you click it in the dock.

The disc images created by downloads can just be dragged to your trash bin once you have placed the app and documentation in the respective folders.

Frontrow shouldn't be slow - but again, that depends on your RAM.

Have fun!

• 06-18-2007 5:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You can access FrontRow by pressing Command + Esc (command is the Apple Key in case you didn't know), and Front Row shouldn't be slow, it's very speedy for me. It might have just been a one off. If not, you might need to repair permissions (which I'll explain if you need me to).

As for apps it's just as soundproof says. Those little drive icons are like virtual CDs, The DMG or ISO file you download is the 'container' which has this virtual CD inside it. Opening this container 'mounts' the virtual CD (like inserting a CD into the computer). Drag the program out of the folder into your Applications folder.

Make good use of springloaded folders as well! Pick up a file, and drag it over your Macintosh HD, but hold down over the top of the icon, the folder will spring open! You can browse through all your folders like this. Very useful!

As for my MacBook Pro - Apple in Bristol are just looking at it, and we're looking for a replacement! I bought mine when they first came out, which was a big mistake. They hadn't ironed out all the issues, and hence the one I bought has given me a huge host of problems. Don't worry though, the same won't happen to yours - it'll be one of the new Santa Rosa Core2Duo machines. I'm on my dad's 2-day-old MacBook at the moment, fantastic little computer! Very speedy (speedier than my MBP which wasn't that hard! Laughing), well built (again, over my MBP, but not hard) and very white :D
    I can't wait until I can get a replacement though, the latest MacBook Pros really are amazing machines. They run nice and cool, very very very fast, very powerful graphics and the best display I've ever seen on a notebook!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-19-2007 1:25 AM In reply to

As for my MacBook Pro - Apple in Bristol are just looking at it, and we're looking for a replacement! I bought mine when they first came out, which was a big mistake.

Never buy the first version of anything from Apple. Took me dozens of buys to figure that one out. I'm pleased the US will be ironing out the problems in the iPhone. It gets to Europe 6 months later, much improved.

• 06-19-2007 2:53 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

As for my MacBook Pro - Apple in Bristol are just looking at it, and we're looking for a replacement! I bought mine when they first came out, which was a big mistake.

Never buy the first version of anything from Apple. Took me dozens of buys to figure that one out. I'm pleased the US will be ironing out the problems in the iPhone. It gets to Europe 6 months later, much improved.

Definitely, although I think it was especially bad with the CoreDuo MacBook Pros this time round. Seems like Apple really rushed them out. Everybody I've spoken to with a CoreDuo MacBook Pro has described problems with overheating, failing parts, appalling batterylife and failing displays. Mine is showing all those problems from overheating to the degree where anything which is in contact with the battery is being charred (the trackpad ribbon cables are actually slowly burning through), the display is randomly fading out in vertical stripes, the battery lasts 20-30 minutes, the right hand speaker has packed up. The heat has caused the case to soften and where I rest my wrists has sagged down, meaning thick CDs can't be ejected, the right hand fan assembly is packing up (for the second time), the power brick has already melted once, and the heat is so unbearable, I can't use the machine for more than 30 minutes.

The moral of the story is, NEVER buy Apple hardware when it first comes out! I can't wait for Apple to give me a new MacBook Pro, as they're SO Much more reliable. The speed isn't a big issue for me, it's just that I want something which will work for another 6/7 years like my friends' iBooks and my iMac G3 (8th birthday soon).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-20-2007 6:22 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Alex, that just sounds sick, hope you get a new one and that my MBP won't act like that.

It is very slow when pressing "menu" on the remote to go a step back in frontrow, but besides that it's great, (although I am writing from my old IBM now, as Safari and this forum obviously isn't the best of friends Sad)
    Is there a way to maximize a window as in XP?? When I press the green button in the upper corner, it doesn't fill the screen.
    BTW. I accidently dragged and dropped the @ on a spring icon that was next to my recycle bin, to the desktop so it disappearred, (not used to the touchpad), what is/was that??

It is a 2,2ghz, with 2Gb RAM, so it's a treat compared to my IBM which is a 800mhz with 128mb ram Stick out tongue

Thanks for the help so far guys.

• 06-20-2007 6:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Toubro:

Alex, that just sounds sick, hope you get a new one and that my MBP won't act like that.

Don't worry, it won't. Mine was a first generation one, which are as always, a bit useless. I think it was just even worse than usual with the 1st gen MacBook Pros.

Toubro:

It is very slow when pressing "menu" on the remote to go a step back in frontrow, but besides that it's great, (although I am writing from my old IBM now, as Safari and this forum obviously isn't the best of friends Sad)

Firefox, Opera and Camino seem to work fine, although I still use Safari because I like the way it looks. Sadly the Safari 3 beta still doesn't work with the forum, although it seems to work fine on all other sites with a rich text editor.

Toubro:

Is there a way to maximize a window as in XP?? When I press the green button in the upper corner, it doesn't fill the screen.

The only way to maximize a window in OS X is to drag it to the full screen size. Some apps will fill the entire screen when you press the green button, but not all, I'll explain why.

What the green button does, is it basically resizes a window so it's the minimum size it can be whilst still displaying all the information it can. So for example, if a website needs a window of a certain size, pressing green in Safari will cause it to become that size.

Quite a few people moan about this, but it's only once you really get into what OS X is like as an OS that you understand why it's better than the maximize feature in windoze. Basically, OS X behaves and acts like a desk. Everything is drag + drop based, and windows are not meant to fill the entire screen, much like a document would never fill your entire desk unless it absolutely needed to, this is why some programs like Garage Band fill the screen - they need absolutely as much of it as possible.

Toubro:

BTW. I accidently dragged and dropped the @ on a spring icon that was next to my recycle bin, to the desktop so it disappearred, (not used to the touchpad), what is/was that??

It is a 2,2ghz, with 2Gb RAM, so it's a treat compared to my IBM which is a 800mhz with 128mb ram Stick out tongue

Thanks for the help so far guys.

The @ on a spring icon is like a shortcut, it takes you to a URL in Safari. OS X always comes with a link to the downloads section of the Apple website in the dock, for quick and easy access. One of the first things I always do with a new user account is remove the shortcut - it's just a distraction IMO. The area to the right of the dock line is for folders, shorcuts to websites and minimized windows. The area to the left is for all open applications, and any which you want to keep there even when they aren't open. You can just drag on and off the dock to modify it. Deleting something from the dock doesn't delete it from your computer. If you want to add it again, just go into your Applications folder, and drag it from the Finder window into the dock.

Other little hints I'd give, click on the desktop, press Apple Key + J, and tick the box which says 'snap to grid' and 'show icon preview', then double click on Macintosh HD and making sure the button at the top says 'All Windows' tick 'show icon preview' and 'keep arranged by' and choose how you would like it. I don't know why Apple disables this by default, it always ends up cluttering everything up for me.

And enjoy the MBP Big Smile It's a great machine. You'll find loads of cool little things all over OS X, like the ability to hold down SHIFT to slow down most animations (such as minimizing a window).

Weekly top artists:                   

Filed under:
  • 06-20-2007 8:57 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Thanks Alex. You really shouldn't have, now I'll haunt you with questions all summer Big Smile

I thought the maximizing of windows had a reason, it actually sounds quite clever.

I just love using iTunes, my old IBM and my Dell desktop takes forever to open the program, but the MBP just fires it right up.

• 06-21-2007 5:19 AM In reply to

Actually I have one of the first intel imacs and I've had no problems with it!  However, just doing my second complete erase and reinstall on my black macbook, as my .mac sync refused to fix itself even after a reinstall of mac os x.........
  • 06-21-2007 5:21 AM In reply to

By the way many congratulations Toubro, once you go apple its hard to go back!!
  • 06-21-2007 7:43 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The first generation iMacs seem very good! It's just the MacBook Pro which really seems to have suffered badly! Some of the MacBooks experienced random shutdowns, but other than that, the rest of the Apple lineup was pretty reliable when it was first released.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)