in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2010 3:03 PM by Toubro. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2010 11:39 AM

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Please help, my BL3's aren't sounding like they should

I have connected my BeoLab 3's to Masterlink via a Beolink Active Box and I have 2 problems:

Problem 1: I experience a lot of humming. As soon as they are turned on they make a plop sound when the relays turn them on and then they start humming. I don't hear this when the music is playing, but between tracks and at low volume passages it's very noticeable.

I previously used them as rear speakers connected to my Avant, and didn't notice any humming.

To try and find the error I have:

1. Switched Active boxes, (I have 2), they both hum, one "loudly", the other a little less.

2. I have disconnected a speaker and taken it to my kitchen and used the cables for the BL3500 that's hanging out there. It still hums. I noticed that the 3500 also hums, but not nearly as loud and this isn't noticeable as it's hanging on the wall and is further away from the ear.

3. Connected a BL6000 in place of my BL3. This also hums, but not as heavily.

4. Checked my junction box, but I can't see any problems with it.

I am using the MK.III cables, so they should be fine.

Problem 2: One of the Active boxes makes the sound very "boomy". I don't know if that makes any sense, but I don't know how else to explain it. The other box sounds fine, and does not do this, at least not nearly as much. It doesn't help if I turn down the bass settings.

Do any of you have any suggestions?? Is this normal for ALT speakers connected to Active boxes?? or am I just sitting to near to the speakers?? I am going mad about it [:'(]

The setup can be seen here: http://forum.beoworld.org/media/p/251747.aspx

• 01-31-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

Re: Please help, my BL3's aren't sounding like they should

Powerline (mains) interference? Are the signal and power lines routed next to each other for a long(ish) run?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 1:00 PM In reply to

ICE speakers are far more sensitive to hum.  It sounds however that you have an earth problem anyway. The Beoport was well known for having this problem and so is the Beolink Active. You need to connect PIN 2 and PIN 7 to each other in the Y connector. This was done in later models.

• 01-31-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

On the boomy note, have you got the loudness on?

• 01-31-2010 6:55 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Actually the Masterlink cable has a 220V cable running alongside it for about 5-6 meters, and the BL3's have their own powercable next to the powerlink, but only for a short distance.
    I've also been thinking if my fridge can be interfering as it runs on the same power group in the installation in my apartment. 

Both of my Active boxes are quite old, so I will definitely look into pin 2 & 7 tomorrow to check if they are connected and if not then connect them.

I think I have tried turning the loudness on/off without result.

Thank you very much for your contributions, I will try and get a good nights sleep and then try out your suggestions.

• 01-31-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

Speaker hum, in my experience, is caused by either the incorrect cables being used or an issue with electronics on the same circuit. Once we unplugged a dimmed lamp in another room and the humming went away. So check those things first (grab an extension cord and try plugging in the kits in other rooms and see if it alters the hum. 

As for the boomy sound, I can't imagine it isn't related to one of the tone settings. Check everything, not just loudness. If the units are old it's likely that they've been altered at some point. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-01-2010 12:24 AM In reply to

Hi, from my experience you could try using a different powerlink cable. When my BL9 arrived, I tested it using the cables that my BL8000 came with (Mk1) and I noticed there's humming when it's on. At first I thought there's something wrong with the speakers. Then I tried using the Mk3 power link cables and the humming went away. Works flawlessly now!

• 02-01-2010 3:54 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Common issue - usually related to the speaker wiring.  Get in touch with your local service agent, they should be able to use the configurator to sort the issue out.

Generally involves the diabling of one pin in the connector.

• 02-01-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I have now tried powering the speakers and Active box from the same outlet as my speakers in the living room, but they still hum.

Unfortunately my soldering iron is dead, so I'll try and borrow one tomorrow and connect pin 2 & 7, which I understand is Signal ground and Data ground.

If that doesn't help I'll try running another masterlink cable to see if it's because some of that is run alongside a power cable.

TripEnglish:

As for the boomy sound, I can't imagine it isn't related to one of the tone settings. Check everything, not just loudness. If the units are old it's likely that they've been altered at some point. 

The boomy box is actually from way back when I had my BL1's connected to my BeoCenter AV5 which does not have Powerlink. I haven't used the box for around 7-8 years, so it is very possible. I have added A.SETUP to the Beo4 list, and tried pressing go at loudness, and tried to turn down the bass. Is there any other tricks for tone settings?

• 02-04-2010 11:00 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Today I have measured the powerlink output on the Active boxes and they both have pin 2 & 7 connected, so no luck there.

I also tried to connect the boxes directly to my Avant via ML, to see if the problem is because of my ML cable running alongside the 230V mains. There was no change in this case either.

I have now run out of ideas and just sit in the corner of my living room crying, well almost. Am I just really unlucky, or really picky about this hizzing sound?? I can't be the only one with ALT speakers connected this way.

• 02-04-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

I take it that they are fine connected directly to the Avant? If so, there is an earth problem somewhere! And no you are not fussy - mine did the same initially - fixed with a new Beoport box - thanks Newcastle. 

• 02-06-2010 3:03 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Peter :

I take it that they are fine connected directly to the Avant? If so, there is an earth problem somewhere! And no you are not fussy - mine did the same initially - fixed with a new Beoport box - thanks Newcastle. 

When I used them as rears I never noticed anything other than what you can expect when you put your ear close to the speaker units. When I sat in the middle of my sofa, I was app. a meter from each BL3 and didn't hear any hizzing sounds. I wanted to check it yesterday, but the BL3s are mounted on my desk, with the cables fitted underneath and I don't have an MK3 cable to extend it so I never got around to trying it. I'll have to try next week to be sure.

The boxes are way old, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have to buy a new one if they are both faulty Sad

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)