in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-07-2007 1:18 AM by Keith Saunders. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2007 11:39 AM

US Beotalk 1200 in Australia

I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me about the feasibility of using a US model Beotalk 1200 in Australia. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

They seem considerably less expensive in the US, and they are rarely available in Australia.

Stuart

• 06-18-2007 12:39 PM In reply to

Re: US Beotalk 1200 in Australia

Well, it may be possible, but I certainly have not tried it, but I would offer the following points:-

• The Australian BeoTalk has a type number of 0812 and the US has a type 0810 meaning there are differences, but often are just the power adapters are different.
    • The US and Australian landline phone specs are very similar, but not the same particularly related to CLI (Caller identification)
    • The US unit uses an RJ11 phone connector, so you would need to use an RJ11 to Australian phone line adapter.

On balance, I would risk it if you are prepared to take care of the items I have highlighted above.

In my view the one thing that may not work correctly is caller identification, so if that does not matter to you, then it will act as a perfect answering machine

Regards Keith....

• 06-18-2007 10:26 PM In reply to

Thanks Keith for such a comprehensive reply!

With regard to the transformer issue, I have a spare Australian B&O transformer for a PSTN box. Would it be possible to use this with a US Beotalk? It's output voltage is less (~5volts (Aust. PSTN) vs 9.6volts (US Beotalk)) and the PSTN transformer does not say it is DC output, whereas the Beotalk transformer does. How specific is the Beotalk in its power requirements?

Or would it be safer to buy a 240 - 110 volt step down transformer and use the original Beotalk transformer?

Hopefully this makes sense and isn't too stupid a question!

Stuart

• 06-18-2007 11:01 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

The US Beotalk 1200 was discontinued about six months ago.  I don't know where you would get a new one only used ones.  The caller ID which is a main feature of the 1200 would not work.  All normal US phones will not work in Australia or UK in my experience.
  • 06-18-2007 11:19 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Aparently a Beotalk 1100 was tried and failed.

There are many differences between the US and Aus Phone systems. If you get past the voltage problem. Potential problems include it won't answer all calls, be clear, have random problems and remote access won't work. Austel which certify phones for the Australian market have very different requirements than the US.

There was some talk about a service mode on the unit to change it from one country to another but I'm not sure if this was ever implemented for the US units if at all.

Will it work guaranteed? I don't think anyone knows...  Speak up if you do.

Beoaus.

• 06-19-2007 1:57 AM In reply to

Stuart,

Using your spare Australian transformer for a PSTN box would not be an option as the wiring and voltage are different.

You will need to use a step-down transformer to the US power connector.

Regards Keith....

• 06-19-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

If you are still keen to give it a try I've used radio parts for some US voltage gear in Aus (non B&O as well).

Here is a link for something suitable http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SX080706&Product=54153079

Beoaus.

• 07-06-2007 10:24 PM In reply to

Just a quick update. I thought some members might be interested to know that I did buy a US BeoTalk 1200 and a step-down transformer, and it all works perfectly in Australia - caller ID included! Thanks to all who offered advice.

Now to decipher the manual...

Stuart 

• 07-06-2007 11:41 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

That is fantastic news mate, well done! I wouldn't have been game. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-07-2007 1:18 AM In reply to

Stuart,

Well, thats excellent news, a piece of data for the FAQ perhaps

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)