in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-24-2010 4:03 PM by Razlaw. 119 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2010 9:18 AM In reply to

Re: iPad + Apple TV = The better Beosound/Beomaster 5 ?

dilznik:
    Too bad you can't use a a BS5 as the front end for a Mini or an AppleTV.

Interesting thought... Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-23-2010 10:15 AM In reply to

burantek:

Iconic perhaps from a design standpoint... my problem is the ease of use (set up) and the lack of features... for your money. I just don't see it as the "new" BS9000.

Many didn't see the BeoSound 9000 as the BeoSound 9000 at first either. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-23-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

burantek:

Iconic perhaps from a design standpoint... my problem is the ease of use (set up) and the lack of features... for your money. I just don't see it as the "new" BS9000.

True enough - it'll be interesting to see how many folk still have a BS5 in 15 years time!ErmUnsure

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-23-2010 3:41 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

burantek:

I don't get it...

My point is the BS5 is a one trick pony... heck the A9 is at least also a keyring.

The BS9000 survives as it is RADIO / CD / NRADIO / NMUSIC / PHONO or TAPE or DACMAGIC or iPOD or SONOS or etc... via AUX... etc...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-23-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

burantek:

TripEnglish:

burantek:

I don't get it...

My point is the BS5 is a one trick pony... heck the A9 is at least also a keyring.

The BS9000 survives as it is RADIO / CD / NRADIO / NMUSIC / PHONO or TAPE or DACMAGIC or iPOD or SONOS or etc... via AUX... etc...

The BS5 is by no mean beosound or  beomaster status worthy..... it's just a beoplayer to me.
    Feels completely unfinished as a product to me as well.... 

• 03-23-2010 5:35 PM In reply to

I should hope the Beosound 5 is unfinished.  Beosound 5 is after all a computer and those of us who own one know very well there will be periodic updates.  I suppose the one thing that I would have hoped the BS5 had is an AUX port.  I would plug a Beogram 7000 into it.  That sounds like it would be an interesting convergence.

I traded my Beosound 9000 for a Beocenter 2 several years ago and don't really remember if there was a difference in sound.  However I think there is probably not much of a difference.  I can compare my Beosound 5 to the BC2 and the sound from the BS5 is significantly better.

Since we have Trip's attention, I would like to hijack this thread a little by asking a question.  Is there any news or hints about a new music player or the forthcoming link system?

Thanks

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-23-2010 10:22 PM In reply to

burantek:

TripEnglish:

burantek:

I don't get it...

Well, if you're going to throw in entire other products as features I'll just say that the BeoSound 5 is also an iMac I loaded it with and the BMW I drove it home in! Top that!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-23-2010 10:25 PM In reply to

linder:

I should hope the Beosound 5 is unfinished.  Beosound 5 is after all a computer and those of us who own one know very well there will be periodic updates.  I suppose the one thing that I would have hoped the BS5 had is an AUX port.  I would plug a Beogram 7000 into it.  That sounds like it would be an interesting convergence.

I traded my Beosound 9000 for a Beocenter 2 several years ago and don't really remember if there was a difference in sound.  However I think there is probably not much of a difference.  I can compare my Beosound 5 to the BC2 and the sound from the BS5 is significantly better.

Since we have Trip's attention, I would like to hijack this thread a little by asking a question.  Is there any news or hints about a new music player or the forthcoming link system?

Thanks

Well that's the good news, the BeoSound 5 is designed to be a platform with ongoing development. When you consider the lifespan of the 9000, it basically lost a big red button over 15 years. Otherwise there weren't many changes other than software to keep compatibility up. 

We're not even a year into the BeoSound 5 but there are many exciting things even in its early life. Accessory items for secondary rooms, accessories for integrating iPods, and a fantastic new link system to make not only your BeoSound 5 better, but your B&O video systems as well. 

• 03-23-2010 11:38 PM In reply to

I honestly believe that the BS5 can have a decent life span. The Ipod is now 8.5 years old and yes there were significant changes but it still could play music and connect to my Itunes. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-24-2010 12:19 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

mbee:

(so the codec doen't seem to be stellar) (So with no evidence cited, you've decided the codec "doesn't seem to be stellar". Wonder how that would play in a primary school book report. Oh well, good enough for the internet.)

The Apple TV is terrifice until you actually have to use it. That's when the trouble starts.

"The Apple TV is terrifice " Wonder how that would play in a primary school book report. Oh well, good enough for the internet.)

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-24-2010 8:37 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    Well, if you're going to throw in entire other products as features I'll just say that the BeoSound 5 is also an iMac I loaded it with and the BMW I drove it home in! Top that!

(i.e.) It is a one trick pony.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-24-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

burantek:

May want to check your math.

BeoSound 9000

CD

Radio

BeoSound 5

N.Music

N.Radio

Photos & Video

Internet browser

So without attaching external devices like BeoPorts, the BeoSound 5 can actually do more than the BeoSound 9000 and its abilities will increase over the life of the product.

• 03-24-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Photos & Video

Internet browser

I am so sorry! Embarrassed

I had NO idea you could see/watch pics or vids or browse the internet on the BS5 screen! I guess that finally explains all the wires required! So, I assume you just spin that wheel on the right side? Do you have to preload URL's for selection with the wheel or does it have a pop-up virtual keyboard for entering them? This is really exciting!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-24-2010 1:49 PM In reply to

Video, Photos and Internet are not displayed on the BS5, but on the TV screen. This is a BM5 feature not a BS5.

• 03-24-2010 2:05 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Video, Photos and Internet are not displayed on the BS5, but on the TV screen. This is a BM5 feature not a BS5.

OH! A BM5!

Laughing

Now that this confusion is settled... The original topic sounds even more convincing!

So, has anyone ordered their iPad yet? Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-24-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

burantek:

PhilLondon:

OH! A BM5!

Laughing

Now that this confusion is settled... The original topic sounds even more convincing!

LMAO  ...I did order an ipad through a friend in the states. No pre-orders in Canada yet.

• 03-24-2010 2:38 PM In reply to

In this case B&O cant match Apple, in my opinion. Apple has such a potenical with his interface, Itunes, touch-screens ...

• 03-24-2010 2:39 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

burantek:

May want to check your math.

BeoSound 9000

CD

Radio

BeoSound 5

N.Music

N.Radio

Photos & Video

Internet browser

So without attaching external devices like BeoPorts, the BeoSound 5 can actually do more than the BeoSound 9000 and its abilities will increase over the life of the product.

The beosound 9000 is nmusic and Nradio compatible just like the BS5

They both need a beomaster/beomedia unit to provide it.

• 03-24-2010 3:30 PM In reply to

burantek:

PhilLondon:

OH! A BM5!

Laughing

I was able to place an order for the iPad on the first day.  Unfortunately for me, my wife wants it because she claims she needs it for her work.  I'll have to get one for myself at a later date. Sad

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-24-2010 4:03 PM In reply to

burantek:

Have ordered two!  Wifi version for me is scheduled to arrive April 3rd. 3g version for my wife arrives later.

Here is my question. How does the sound quality  compare between BS5/BM5 connected to a Beosystem 3/BV7/BV9 and iMac or PC/Beoport connected to Beosystem 3/BV7/BV9? 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

Page 5 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5