in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-24-2010 4:03 PM by Razlaw. 119 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2010 10:11 PM In reply to

Re: iPad + Apple TV = The better Beosound/Beomaster 5 ?

Soundproof, I'm not talking about a Mac. I'm talking about an AppleTV. Mac's a whole different story. An even worse one, but a different one

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-30-2010 10:29 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    The Remote app, for example, is flawed in that it's constantly dropping the connection with the attached library, pausing, halting, reloading, etc. Even though only the music's info is streaming, the experience is awful. I've never been able to really get it working reliably either at one of my houses or one of my clients'.

This works extremely reliably in my home.  Just use the following settings:

iPhone > Settings > Auto-Lock > Never

Remote.app stays on until you manually press the sleep or lock button at the top of the phone.  Never a drop in the connection with the attached library, nor pausing, nor halting, nor reloading, etc.  The experience is flawless.

I count 11 available available WiFi networks right now as I live on a 36th floor, and I have a BeoCom 1 and Bluetooth network with five devices running simultaneously; i.e., there are at least 17 devices broadcasting in the 2.4 GHz band at the same time.

I use an old original iPhone without an active SIM effectively as an iPod Touch / Remote.app to control BeoPort via LinkPlayer.

• 01-31-2010 2:20 AM In reply to

One might find it useful to read the instructions on how to use the Remote app, then. It's not as if it's very difficult.

Mine renegotiates in a second if the iPod Touch or iPhone have been in sleep mode, and I'm instantly able to begin selecting and routing music.

@ Razlaw

Your BV7 has a very sophisticated sound and image processing unit (Beosys3) - this contains good DACs.
    All you need do is route the HDMI OUT from the ATV to the BV7, and you should be set.

Settings on the ATV give you options for output. (You can also port sound and image separately, but there's no need for that, since the BS3 in the BV7 has HDMI-IN.

• 01-31-2010 3:54 AM In reply to

linder:

I agree that in this setup, the Beosound 5 is definitely superior.  Beosound 5 is the best B&O music system especially for people who are willing to spend the money for something that works well without much effort.  This is what I would expect from B&O.  Its the reason I purchased a Beosound 5.

I have iTunes but it is a lot of work.  For Beosound 5, you easily rip the CD and the system does everything else.  There are no worries about meta data or format.  

How is Beosound 5 supposed to be a music system without much effort, if I'm a Mac user ? I don't want to buy a Win PC for digitizing my audiophile CDs into WMA lossless format. 

This is what I would expect from B&O:

- A DVD/CD drive that can be connected to the Beomaster 5 in order to digitize audio CDs directly into the WMA library.

• 01-31-2010 4:42 AM In reply to

WMA makes kittens cry.  That is all.

• 01-31-2010 4:48 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I've done a quick patent search and can't find anything relating to decompression algorithms - are we sure the early talk to which Trip referred wasn't confusing the MOTS algorithm with the codecs?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-31-2010 5:06 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I've done a quick patent search and can't find anything relating to decompression algorithms - are we sure the early talk to which Trip referred wasn't confusing the MOTS algorithm with the codecs?

That could be it.

There's absolutely no reason why an iPod shouldn't port perfect digital OUT, which Wadia realized when they made this unit:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/1008wad/#

Connecting BL5s to the analog minijack out of an iPod is silly, since you'd then be using the DAC in the iPod.

But connecting the BL5s to the s/pdif coax out of the unit I linked to would work excellently, though I prefer having the BL5s connected to a router-DAC that accepts various input sources as s/pdif or Core Audio FW, before sending it on to the BL5s.

Now, that's a solution that I believe would be a fairer match than the store-demo Trip has going.

• 01-31-2010 5:51 AM In reply to

Puncher:

MP3 (and derivatives based on similar psychoacoustic models, such as AAC) itself is badly ridden with somewhat unclear patent and licencing claims. I don't think B&O has any direct involvement with any of those.

Anyway, the real meat in MP3 quality is in encoding, not decoding. The MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3 in short) standards describe the data format and how it is decoded, but not how you end up with that data, starting from uncompressed audio. This is the area where most of the patent issues are. Actually I don't think any decoder can perform better than another, unless there are outright errors in the decoding process.

It is unfortunate that these formats have such domination when we have completely free (and often better performing) alternatives such as Ogg Vorbis.

-mika

• 01-31-2010 9:16 PM In reply to

soundproof:

@ Razlaw

Your BV7 has a very sophisticated sound and image processing unit (Beosys3) - this contains good DACs.
    All you need do is route the HDMI OUT from the ATV to the BV7, and you should be set.

Settings on the ATV give you options for output. (You can also port sound and image separately, but there's no need for that, since the BS3 in the BV7 has HDMI-IN.

Thanks!   I assume the same thing applys to Beoport?  The speakers connected to BV7 receive the benefit of the BV7/BS3 and thus music from the iMac via Beoport benefits from it just as Apple TV does?   

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-03-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

I'll definately share whatever I can find out. In the (seemingly endless) lead-up to the BeoSound 5, the decompression was hyped internally as part of the magic. When we finally got to sit down with working units I was handily impressed. It's admittedly been mentioned little to not-at-all since release.

Did you manage to find anything about the decompression, original or not?

• 02-03-2010 8:19 AM In reply to

soundproof:

There's absolutely no reason why an iPod shouldn't port perfect digital OUT, which Wadia realized when they made this unit:

Connecting BL5s to the analog minijack out of an iPod is silly, since you'd then be using the DAC in the iPod.

soundproof, nice gadget... i'm looking for a ipod dock with a good d/a converter inside to connect it to my vintage beolab 5000 (1967). what about the pro-ject ipod dock? http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=dockboxf&cat=boxes&lang=en

best regards

dario

• 02-03-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

superdario:

soundproof:

soundproof, nice gadget... i'm looking for a ipod dock with a good d/a converter inside to connect it to my vintage beolab 5000 (1967). what about the pro-ject ipod dock? http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=dockboxf&cat=boxes&lang=en

best regards

dario

Should do the job quite nicely, I'd think.

@Razlaw

I haven't used BeoPort, and can't say for certain. What's important, is that you get the digital signal to the BeoSystem 3 in the BV7, and that it is this signal that's used by your network.

• 02-03-2010 8:37 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Puncher:

Did you manage to find anything about the decompression, original or not?

Trying to find something about decompression

Suffering no substantial depression

I sit on my terrace as I type ...

All this on my non-Apple

The sound's being ample

And I control it as I smile ...

I guess it's back to explaining a non-compression

Music file.

Big Smile

• 02-03-2010 8:59 AM In reply to

saf:

Trying to find something about decompression

Suffering no substantial depression

I sit on my terrace as I type ...

All this on my non-Apple

The sound's being ample

And I control it as I smile ...

I guess it's back to explaining a non-compression

Music file.

Big Smile

Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-03-2010 5:07 PM In reply to

soundproof:

superdario:

soundproof:

best regards

dario

@Razlaw

I haven't used BeoPort, and can't say for certain. What's important, is that you get the digital signal to the BeoSystem 3 in the BV7, and that it is this signal that's used by your network.

So perhaps sound might actually be better from Apple TV than from iMac/Beoport because using Apple TV a digital signal is sent from from Apple TV via HDMI to the BV7 whereas Beoport sends an analog signal through Masterlink to the BV7? Or is Masterlink digital?

• 02-03-2010 5:16 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Razlaw:

soundproof:

superdario:

soundproof:

best regards

dario

@Razlaw

So perhaps sound might actually be better from Apple TV than from iMac/Beoport because using Apple TV a digital signal is sent from from Apple TV via HDMI to the BV7 whereas Beoport sends an analog signal through Masterlink to the BV7? Or is Masterlink digital?

You're correct, Masterlink is analogue (with a "ue" on the end)Laughing

• 02-03-2010 5:56 PM In reply to

I am in the USA.....no ue on this side of the pond........http://www.techterms.com/definition/analog   Smile

• 02-03-2010 6:04 PM In reply to

soundproof:

superdario:

soundproof:

best regards

dario

@Razlaw

Razlaw,  Soundproof is absolutely correct for your setup.  Connecting an Apple TV by HDMI to Beosystem 3 in the BV7 is easy and has the added benefit that you could download movies from iTunes some of which are in surround sound.  In your case, the best results will be if your music is ripped in the Apple lossless format but other higher AAC bit rates sound good too.  There are a lot of claims about the various DACs and the digital codecs.  I have listened to music converted in a $10,000 DAC and could not tell the difference from DACs costing significantly less.  If you are going to stream to your Apple TV, an ethernet connection is a good idea but not necessary.  Let us know what you think if you do this.  For a lot of people, this subject is very confusing and is loaded with a lot of unnecessary techy talk.  Bill

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-03-2010 6:12 PM In reply to

The multichannel processing in the BeoSystem 3 that is in your BV7 is very good. AppleTV conveys an excellent HD image and sound (limited to DD 5.1 audio, but sounds very good through my BL5/BL3 surround setup).

The DACs and sound processing in the BS3 is more than up to the task, and connecting the ATV with HDMI should be straightforward. Make certain you set up the ATV correctly, for the best possible sound and image.

You should be able to control the ATV with your Beo4, through the BeoSystem 3 by using one of the IR-extenders and the Apple-settings in the BS3 setup. I'm not using BeoSystem 3, but I have tried it out.

• 02-03-2010 7:13 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Razlaw:

I am in the USA.....no ue on this side of the pond........http://www.techterms.com/definition/analog   Smile

Fair enough - there's loads of other words you don't spell correctly...............!Big Smile

• 02-03-2010 7:37 PM In reply to

Big Smile [:D] Re: iPad + Apple TV = The better Beosound/Beomaster 5 ?

Puncher:

Razlaw:

Fair enough - there's loads of other words you don't spell correctly...............!Big Smile

I was seconded to a British company in the nineties and know its more than spelling differences.  Here is a good reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

• 02-03-2010 7:45 PM In reply to

Puncher,

This is an amusing dictionary of new words and expressions.  English is definitely a living language regardless of location.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

• 02-03-2010 7:51 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

linder:

Puncher,

This is an amusing dictionary of new words and expressions.  English is definitely a living language regardless of location.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

And then you have the whole world of English and American dialects on top of this - we'll never agree!!Laughing

• 02-03-2010 9:41 PM In reply to

Thanks for all of the input. I have had Apple TV connected and functioning with the Beo 4 for many months. All music is stored in lossless. My questions were more related to sound quality as I think it is superb but others seem to reccommend an external DAC and I was trying to figure in what situations is an external DAC beneficial.  I stream music wirelessly from iMac to Apple TV as well as being able to access iTunes directly from the iMac via Masterlink. Both methods sound wonderful to me and I could not understand how or why an external DAC would improve it. From what you are saying I was correct. No need for an external DAC with our system. 

• 02-03-2010 9:46 PM In reply to

Regarding Beo 4 control (and my soon to arrive Beo 5) I have the Apple remote in the PUC. However I did not like the way it handled on/off. I assigned another device to the Apple TV in the PUC. I then used the Apple TV remote learning function to have the Apple TV learn the commands the BV7 outputs for that device. I now have full control of all 15 Apple TV functions that are available using the arrows, GO, Green, and numbers 1-9 on the Beo 4. Am hoping dealer will be able to replace the numbers on the Beo 5 with the commands such as skip forward etc so I do not have to remember what each number on the Beo 4 controls on the Apple TV.

Page 3 of 5 (120 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >