in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2010 3:28 PM by Peter. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2010 3:34 AM

BV10 and sound

I think the BV10 isn´t getting the credit it deserves as far as sound is conserned, espescially in this forum.

I got my BV10 a few weeks before christmas, and I must say I´m delighted with the sound. 

If you use it as a standalone set, it has less bass than an Avant or a BV5, but other than that it is fabulous! Sound is more than just bass. With my wife and kids out of the house for a few days, I have really tested the sound a bit. I have used volumes up to 75 (max is 90), and the sound is crystal clear with plenty of power. I dont miss the sound of the Avant one second.

I´ve been listening to the remixed versions of the Genesis catalogue, in 5.1 surround sound, and it is truly amazing. I have treble and bass set to "0", an no loudness activated. If you use it as a standalone set is is possible to do some adjustments to it.

BV10, Avant DVD, BL5, BL4000, BS2300, BV6-26, MX 4002, 2xBeocom 6000, LC2

• 01-28-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV10 and sound

Hi thavn,

Thx for sharing your experience. Currently I still use my Avant, of which I am very content with especially the sound. However me too will "step up" to the BV10, I am actually waiting for the BV10-46". Once I have the BV10, I am planning to connect it to my BeoLab 8000. I was just wondering how the sound of the BV10 compared to the Avant, especially with the loudness function.

• 01-28-2010 11:34 AM In reply to

The sound of the BV10 is astonishing for the thickness of the TV. It is far better than any other make of set with a similar thickness that I have heard - Samsung in particular are very poor. However I disagree with the first post - in my view the sound is nothing like that of the Avant or BV5. There is a missing chunk in what I would call the presence area. It is actually slightly better when used without surround sound so some of the blame would seem to be the distribution to the other speakers, but watching films is simply not such a good aural experience as with the Avant. the picture is quite superb though. My set up is Penta 3s at the front with a Beolab 2 and Beolab 4000s at the rear. The problem is worst in Speaker 5 and the presence returns in Speaker 4.

• 01-28-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Have you seen the video clip about BV10's sound on the official B&O website?

You would learn that the amplifiers are rated at 1 x 30 W (AB class) for the bass unit, and 4 X 10 W (ICE power) for the midrange-treble..

This is far from reaching the levels of the Avant/BV5 and is even less performant than a good old MX8000..

So yes, once again, "given the size and volumes allowed" the sound is great, and way better than any other LCD TV, but by B&O standards, it is the poorest performance after the MX4000 line, and technically similar to the BV6/BV8 range.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-28-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hmmmmmm, I guess if one has a BV10, and wants to enjoy a movie at the fullest soundwise, one has to set up the BV10 with multiple loudspeakers. I hope the BV10-46" comes with sound improvements.

• 01-28-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

Actually the power levels are fine - no shortage of volume - remember that at normal listening volumes, we use less than 1 W a channel, and most of that is bass. I doubt you need more than a couple of watts for a tweeter!

• 01-29-2010 6:36 AM In reply to

Peter :

The sound of the BV10 is astonishing for the thickness of the TV. It is far better than any other make of set with a similar thickness that I have heard - Samsung in particular are very poor. However I disagree with the first post - in my view the sound is nothing like that of the Avant or BV5. There is a missing chunk in what I would call the presence area. It is actually slightly better when used without surround sound so some of the blame would seem to be the distribution to the other speakers, but watching films is simply not such a good aural experience as with the Avant. the picture is quite superb though. My set up is Penta 3s at the front with a Beolab 2 and Beolab 4000s at the rear. The problem is worst in Speaker 5 and the presence returns in Speaker 4.

I have my BV10 connected to BL 5 as front speakers and BL4000 as rear. I honestly think that the voices coming out of the BV10 are at least as good as the Avant. I use speaker 5 most of the time. Speaker 4 I only use with CD´s, but then the BV10 is quiet.

I don´t know, maybe it has to do with the mounting? Mine is wall mounted, with the picture at 1 meter. This means the the sound of the BV10 hits my ears at the right level, compared to the Avant that were much lower...

I think that treble and midrange sound of the BV10 are very nice, but it needs some help with the bass. The Avant are superiour to the BV10 on that point. The BV10 are of course not as good as the BL7-1, 7-2, 7-4 or 7-6 (the 7-6 I haven´t heard).

But my point is, that the speaker of the BV10 is actually a very good speaker, and it does the job as a centre speaker in a surround setup very good! After reading Peters first experiences with the BV10 I was worried if the BV10 wuold do the job, but there was no need to. The sound is great.

• 01-29-2010 6:40 AM In reply to

RWST:

Hi thavn,

Thx for sharing your experience. Currently I still use my Avant, of which I am very content with especially the sound. However me too will "step up" to the BV10, I am actually waiting for the BV10-46". Once I have the BV10, I am planning to connect it to my BeoLab 8000. I was just wondering how the sound of the BV10 compared to the Avant, especially with the loudness function.

I haven´t tried much with loudness and adjusting the bass. I can try over the weekend. I think it will perform very well together with your BL8000.

Thavn

• 01-29-2010 12:30 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have my BV10 now for about a month with 2 BL8000, BL2 and 2 BL4 in the rear. I love the crisp sound of the BV10 for my setup, the bass comes from the BL2. I think the voices are even more clear then the Avant!

I use my avant in de bedroom as standalone TV and there is perfect, with bass!

Yess, the BV10 is a great TV (VERY nice picture) and great sound is a surround setup!

HJ

• 01-29-2010 1:41 PM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

I have to say that I really like the dynamic sound of my “good old” Avant.

But as I mentioned I will step up to the BV10, just trying to figure out a fitting sound setup.

Reading all the posts, it seems that sound wise the only weakness of the BV10 vs the Avant is the bass volume.

Currently I own one pair of BL8000 but am thinking of getting another pair, I simply like the design. Having the BL2 would be a solution for the base, but I don’t like the design. Would you think that the BV10 with 2 BL8000 in the front and 2 in the back would create the same dynamic sound?

Ps. Thavn thx for “testing” in the weekend

• 01-29-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Or wait for the upcomming new BL11 sub ! Wink

• 01-29-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

The BV10 is designed so it can be used as a stand alone set but with a sub-woofer. The BV11 will be the perfect match. However do have a listen for yourselves - I have a beolab 2 and it is not the bass that is the problem. And yes, I agree, it is very clear , probably more sore than the Avant. I plan to do some sort of frequency analysis if possible.

• 02-05-2010 2:31 PM In reply to

I've been experimenting a bit with the loudness and bass levels of the BV10 if I choose the speaker 1 option. It can be used as a standalone set with a sound that is ok. It is hard too compare it to the Avant in the basement, because it is a smaller room. But there is no doubt the Avant is far superiour when it comes to bass, but I think the sound is more "real" in the BV10.

Someone said earlier that the sound was about the same as the BV6. I have a BV6 a bedroom, and I'm more impressed with the sound of the BV10 than the BV6, especially when considered the difference in size of the two rooms.

The sound is very nice in the BV10!

• 02-05-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

Is the sound also better than the BV8-40Hmm

• 02-09-2010 11:48 AM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

thavn:

RWST:

Hi thavn,

I haven´t tried much with loudness and adjusting the bass. I can try over the weekend. I think it will perform very well together with your BL8000.

Thavn

Hi thavn,

I am considdering to get a pair of BeoLab 9s and set them up with my BL8000 and soon to have BV10-46". Which one would you pair up front and which one in the back?

Regards

• 02-09-2010 12:06 PM In reply to

Well actually, an avant is no BV10 or a Beocenter AV5, so you can't have the deep bass like the crt's because it's a thin picture display. A crt is no lcd or plasma,and the sound you can't compare simply because you don't have the air volume inside like in the Beocenter 5 or the avant, so you can't compare it honestly,because the speakers are thinner and a smaller speaker cabinet...

The same for per example de Serenata, it is the best sounding gsm,but it's not a sound system,but you can't compare any other brand. So the sound of the BV 10 is spectacular for it's size if you compare to any other brand for the same picture size.

And don't forget, i read it, B&O Demands simply the newest and best lcd's and plasma screen's of their manufacturer, so they have the best and newest on the market,and that has also his price :-)

• 02-09-2010 12:18 PM In reply to

• RWST
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2010
    • Amsterdam, NL
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

I agree/understand kronzilla, that is why I am looking for a fitting soundsystem with the BV10 to compensate the "dynamic" sound of my avant. I already got a pair of Beolab 8000 and I'm considdering to get a pair of Beolabs 9.

And you're right, everything has a price.

• 02-12-2010 10:42 AM In reply to

RWST:

Hi thavn,

I am considdering to get a pair of BeoLab 9s and set them up with my BL8000 and soon to have BV10-46". Which one would you pair up front and which one in the back?

Regards

Hello!

I'm no expert, but I think the most natural would be to have the BL9s as front and the BL8000 as rear. The BL9 has a wider range, and would do the job as a subwoofer better than the 8000s, as well as the BL9 has ALT which is good for a front speaker.

Good luck with your choice, and let us know what you think when you get it!

Regards

• 02-12-2010 3:56 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

A question from an innocent bystander - what are the exact limitations of the BV10 speakers and how do they compare to BL3's?

The BL3 isn't exactly large and many would argue they are superior to BL8000's (not exactly large in volumetric terms either but certainly larger than the BL3).

Is it also to do with the driver travel and is it limited within the BV10 compared to the BL3?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-12-2010 5:57 PM In reply to

Much more surface area in the BL3. The bass is far more extended. 

• 02-13-2010 5:14 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter :

I thought the Woofers were both ~100mm, although the BL3 has a pair of passive radiators (i.e. they  aren't driven but provide a bass extension similar to a tuned port in performance) and has net volume of 1.5 litres. The BV10 has a net volume Bass reflex (tuned port) box of 1.8 litres volume.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-13-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Peter :

I thought the Woofers were both ~100mm, although the BL3 has a pair of passive radiators (i.e. they  aren't driven but provide a bass extension similar to a tuned port in performance) and has net volume of 1.5 litres. The BV10 has a net volume Bass reflex (tuned port) box of 1.8 litres volume.

BL3 = 250 w RMS
    BV10 = 20w RMS, or something like that?

... you could just pop to a dealer and listen in person. Then there's no need for a calculator!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-13-2010 3:28 PM In reply to

True but the lack of bass is noticed at levels where we are probably using about 1W so it would appear to be a driver or software issue rather than raw power. As I have said before, it is more the presence region rather than the bass - I have a Beolab 2 for the bass! The BV10 actually sounds a little better as a stand alone in some ways than in speaker 5 which makes me think that the surround system is not completely optimal. But I should emphasise that I am perfectly happy with my BV10 - I don't expect the same sound quality from such a thin TV as a big CRT or the BV5. It is still light years ahead of any similar flat screen TV that I have heard.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)