in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2010 12:48 PM by mollydog. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2010 6:13 AM

Misbehaving Beovision 3

Hi, I have a Beovision 3 which is linked to an Overture, a pair of Beolab 8000's, a pair of 6000's and a subwoofer. About 4 months ago, the TV simply stopped responding to commands: the red standby light was on, the green "on" light would come on occasionally, along with the speakers -for about 1 or 2 seconds, then crackle and everything would go back into standby. A call to my local dealer led to a hefty repair estimate over the phone, based on the fact that repairs at component level couldn't be diagnosed and so weren't possible - the only option was to replace  the whole elctronic module within the TV. There was some thought that electrical interference from an aerial booster had caused the problem and the resulting interference/spikes had caused the TV to shut down. The repair estimate was frankly more expensive than similar sets here on the net were selling for-and some of those had 12 months gaurentees.

Anyway, without further intervention, after just sitting in a corner not touched at all, the set burst back into life, after a rest of about a week! - and its been fine for the past 3 months..until yesterday. Again, exactly the same problem: it will go from standby and respond to some commands e.g. play CD's, the audio tape and switch between radio stations-but of course I have no sound as the speakers will not come out of standby mode and  the TV will not respond at all, so no sound and no picture.

I've had B&O kit now for over 34 years and have never had any technical or reliablilty issues. I've owned several TV sets some of which have gone on for years and years. MY Be0 3 hasn't even made it to its 7th birthday. Is it beyond economic repair or can anyone suggest what might be causing these problems and whether there is any alternative to a costly repair?

• 01-26-2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Re: Misbehaving Beovision 3

Hi mollydog and welcome to beoworld,sorry to hear about your bv3 ,if any consolation my avant  did not make it to 7th birthday too  few years back,do you still want to continue with bv3 or are buying /cosidering another model??? have you considered pre-owned sets??? may be the way to go??? ,cheaper than repairing your set??

• 01-26-2010 11:53 AM In reply to

First of all try to locate the source of the problem. Your BV 3 is part of a whole system so maybe the fault is somewhere in the system. The BV 3 is a great tv and television and worth a second look! Power everything off and disconnect all cables. Switch on on the tv. If it functions properly you know your tv is allright. Then connect one cable after the other. (first power off tv again) each time look what happens. The culprit likely is the Master Link cable between tv and Master.

Also check if there isn't a timer play programmed!

Good luck

• 01-27-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Many thanks ed7.

If it cant be economically repaired then yes I guess we will have to look around and check out our options. Big pull to stay with The Beovision 3 though as I love the design, the pic quality is superb and of course I've bought the Overure and other speakers to give me surround sound. Big decision ahead I fear!

• 01-27-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

Thanks for those suggestions ernie.

Will make it my task for this evening. Sadly, unlike in the past, it hasnt sprung back into life.....so far! Fingers crossed and I will let you know if your ideas work.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)