in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-07-2010 4:53 PM by TheTinman. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2010 4:26 PM

Beomaster 4500 won't power on...

After many years of faithful service, my Beomaster 4500 receiver/amplifier won't turn on! The attached Beogram CD 4500 and TX still work fine. Haven't a clue what happened, but I assume it needs to be replaced. Or might there be a potentially easy fix I can try? Also, can one replace it with a different model - if so, which ones might be most compatible? Will a 5000, 5500 or 6000 work just as well, etc.? Very sad...I love my B&O and will figure something out. Thank you in advance for any insight or advice you might have! --Michael
    Filed under:
  • 01-25-2010 10:25 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 4500 won't power on...

Sorry for your sadness ... I keep failed units just for their beauty ... but I am running out of space :-S

vanpitt:
    Also, can one replace it with a different model - if so, which ones might be most compatible? Will a 5000, 5500 or 6000 work just as well, etc.?

Given the age/characteristics of the BM 4500: "(1989-1992) LW/MW/FM Stereo receiver, 2x40W, Datalink, Power Link" I think you should avoid the BM 5000 even though it is a superior amplifier, and take a look at the rest of the family in BeoCentral's nice summary:

http://www.beocentral.com/families/bm5000-2

and make the appropriate choice that way, if it turns out that it does not have an easy fix.

Good luck !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-26-2010 4:15 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

The very first thing I'd check is the fuse, to see if it's blown.

Believe me - someone somewhere CAN fix your B&O. I didn't look to see where you were located at...member Dillen is in Denmark if you're in Europe, and Soundsmith is in New York, USA, just to throw out a couple of options for you. Either one would almost definitely be able to fix your BM.

• 01-26-2010 5:04 AM In reply to

Good idea about the fuse...any idea where it is, and how I can check it?  Smile  I'm in New York, btw...

• 01-26-2010 8:28 AM In reply to

• Stoney3K
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2007
    • Eindhoven, NL
    • Posts 91
    • Silver Member

vanpitt:

Good idea about the fuse...any idea where it is, and how I can check it?  Smile  I'm in New York, btw...

Stupid answer: I've given this a lot of thought, but the only thing I can come up with is that the fuse is probably in New York as well. Big Smile

Smart answer:

The fuse is near the power supply transformer, at the point where the mains (110V) enters the device. Probably not far off from the mains lead. On some units, you can access it from the outside on the back panel (look for a bushing with a plastic screw, turning that anticlockwise will pop out the fuse), if not, it's probably on the PCB which connects to the primary side of the transformer.

Obviously, disconnect the 110V supply before unscrewing any covers.

BTW: If you want a replacement Beomaster which is compatible with your CD4500 and TX, any unit in the 3500, 4500, 5500, 6500, 7000 or 9000 range will work. As will the Beosounds and newer Beocenters, but these already have CD playback built in, so that would make the CD4500 a bit obsolete.

• 01-26-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Laughing

- And if you unscrew the bottom cover, note which screws goes where as they are of different types and lengths
    and if you mount a long screw instead of a short, you will most likely break something inside.
    Don't ask how I know.

Martin

• 01-26-2010 5:12 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Dillen:

Don't ask how I know.

Martin, you make me feel so much betterLaughing

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 02-07-2010 4:53 PM In reply to

vanpitt:
    After many years of faithful service, my Beomaster 4500 receiver/amplifier won't turn on! The attached Beogram CD 4500 and TX still work fine. Haven't a clue what happened, but I assume it needs to be replaced. Or might there be a potentially easy fix I can try? Also, can one replace it with a different model - if so, which ones might be most compatible? Will a 5000, 5500 or 6000 work just as well, etc.? Very sad...I love my B&O and will figure something out. Thank you in advance for any insight or advice you might have! --Michael

I have not been on Beoworld in a while, but I'll post my own experiences.  First of, it must be nice to assume it must be replaced.  I'll be happy to pay shipping to me, so you can buy a new shiny system.

Now to be serious...  If it's not the fuse, it's often the memory battery in the Microprocessor can.  If the battery dies, the unit won't turn on.

It is a 3volt lithium battery that is not user replaceable.  It has to be de-soldered to be replaced.

If you have the red stand-by dot but it won't turn on, that's the most likely problem.  The 4500 is pretty simple to repair.  Don't abandon it.

The other possible cause could be a failing capacitor in the power supply.  Again, easy enough to repair.  And the unit is getting to be that age.  I have restored a lot of older B&O eqipment.  All of it is worth holding on to.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)