in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-11-2007 1:47 AM by pharris. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2007 5:46 AM

Speaker cables - Beosound 9000

I am brand new to B&O having just inherited a Beosound 9000 music centre, a Beolink passive and a collection of associated junction boxes and IR bits that were previously installed in the house that my parents have just bought. I never saw it in operation, but it seems that this kit was used to channel music around the house from the main unit.

I want to simply use the Beosound 9000 in one room with my 4 existing passive ceiling speakers. Is it possible to connect these speakers to the din sockets on the Beosound 9000 and if so, how do I configure them and any idea where I can get the appropriate din plugs?

Many thanks,

Paul

Filed under:
  • 06-18-2007 6:37 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

Re: Speaker cables - Beosound 9000

Welcome to BeoWorld! 

To use your passive speakers, you must connect the Beolink Passive to the BS9000 by a PowerLink cable. Do not connect any IR-eye. Then connect the speakers to the two spearker-out connectors on the Beolink Passive. To connect all four speakers yur must connect them in pairs or split the cable somewhere.

The Beolink Passive is a good amp., and will give you 30 W at 8 ohm. It can handle op to 4 sets of speakers, but this will limit volumen.

Hopes this helps, otherwise just ask again.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 06-18-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

Christian,

Many thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Paul

• 06-18-2007 11:06 PM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

Don't know if that will work.

I thought the Passive has Masterlink in and Powerlink/2 pin din out. I didn't think the Passive would activate without the remote sensor.

Peter 

• 06-19-2007 12:44 AM In reply to

Hi!

I guess it's a BeoCenter 9000 and not Beosound 9000 ( 6Cd player) you have when you say you have din connections for speakers. Of course you can connect your passive speakers directly to the Beocenter.

regards 

• 06-19-2007 1:36 AM In reply to

I told you I was new to this!

The unit has 6 CDs and a radio. Connections are a Masterlink socket an Aux socket and 2 Loudspeaker sockets (9 pin?).

The Passive has 2 Loudspeaker sockets with the more familiar 2 pins.

I have downloaded the manual for the 9000, but that only talks about Active speakers.

Paul 

• 06-19-2007 1:44 AM In reply to

pharris:

I have downloaded the manual for the 9000, but that only talks about Active speakers.

Paul, this is due to the fact that the Beosound9000 does not have integrated amplifiers. Si if you like to connect passive speakers you normaly need an MCL2P  amplifier. But as Christian already suggested, the Beolink passive should do the job as well.

Marcus 

• 06-19-2007 2:48 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Connect the BeoLink Passive to the BeoSound 9000 via a MasterLink cable (your local B&O dealer should be able to help with that), making sure you also have an IR sensor on the Passive.

Then, take a B&O remote control (assuming you have one), and pointing stright into the BeoSound 9000 which should be in standby (with the BeoLink passive unplugged from the mains), press LIST and STANDBY on the remote control at the same time. Use the up and down arrows to cycle through until you get to OPTION?. Press GO and choose A.OPT, and then press go again. Then press 0. What this will do, is disable the IR receiver inside the BeoSound 9000, because you want to use the one which is connected to the BeoLink Passive.

Now, you need to do something similar to the BeoLink Passve. Disconnect the BeoSound 9000 from the wall, and making sure the IR sensor is properly connected to the BeoLink Passive box, press LIST and STANDBY on the B&O remote at the same time, choose OPTION? and then A.OPT. Press go, and push 6 on the remote control. This will tell the BeoLink Passive that it's a link product.

Reconnect the BeoSound 9000 to the mains, and when you push CD, the IR sensor connected to the BeoLink Passive will pick up the IR signals, and wake up the BeoSound 9000, which will then pass sound back down the MasterLink cable into the BeoLink Passive.

Tell us if it works! You might even get a degree of hands on control, being able to push the buttons on the side of the BeoSound 9000 to choose CDs (although this won't wake the system up if it's all asleep).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-19-2007 3:46 AM In reply to

Alex:
    Connect the BeoLink Passive to the BeoSound 9000 via a MasterLink cable (your local B&O dealer should be able to help with that), making sure you also have an IR sensor on the Passive.

Then, take a B&O remote control (assuming you have one), and pointing stright into the BeoSound 9000 which should be in standby (with the BeoLink passive unplugged from the mains), press LIST and STANDBY on the remote control at the same time. Use the up and down arrows to cycle through until you get to OPTION?. Press GO and choose A.OPT, and then press go again. Then press 0. What this will do, is disable the IR receiver inside the BeoSound 9000, because you want to use the one which is connected to the BeoLink Passive.

Now, you need to do something similar to the BeoLink Passve. Disconnect the BeoSound 9000 from the wall, and making sure the IR sensor is properly connected to the BeoLink Passive box, press LIST and STANDBY on the B&O remote at the same time, choose OPTION? and then A.OPT. Press go, and push 6 on the remote control. This will tell the BeoLink Passive that it's a link product.

Reconnect the BeoSound 9000 to the mains, and when you push CD, the IR sensor connected to the BeoLink Passive will pick up the IR signals, and wake up the BeoSound 9000, which will then pass sound back down the MasterLink cable into the BeoLink Passive.

Tell us if it works! You might even get a degree of hands on control, being able to push the buttons on the side of the BeoSound 9000 to choose CDs (although this won't wake the system up if it's all asleep).

While Alex is in the main correct, there is no need to OPTION program the BeoSound 9000, if no speakers are connected directly then it will default to OPTION 0.

• 06-19-2007 4:04 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

meandmyshadow:

While Alex is in the main correct, there is no need to OPTION program the BeoSound 9000, if no speakers are connected directly then it will default to OPTION 0.

Laughing Mybad! These danes are smarter than you think, they've thought about everything! ;)

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-19-2007 5:04 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Is this really necessary? If I remember correctly the Passive will power up when connected to the BS9000 via Powerlink, no need for IR eye and masterlink. Huh?Smile But I might have missed a point somewhere.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 06-19-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

It rather depends on where the speakers are going to be. If in the same room as the 9000, you don't need the IR eye. If in another room, you do. I would guess the former.
  • 06-20-2007 12:31 AM In reply to

I know Christian said 4 pairs of speakers....is the passive amp stable enough to do this??? That's what i'd like to do...i'm looking to fit some passive kits and run say 2 sets of speakers of each amp....will it support 4 X  8 ohm speakers???

THanks,

k

• 06-20-2007 1:46 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

It will handle all 4 spearkers without problems. I once had a setup, where it was connected to 1 * M75 (4 ohm), 1 * S80 (8 ohm) and 2 * MCX35 (8 ohm). Of couse the M75 was a little louder than the rest, but everything worked fine. It could not play that loud, but was fine for everyday use.

The MCL-2P / MCL/ML is a rather good amplifirer, and if I remeber correctly Alex once stated that it has an infinate resistance.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 06-20-2007 5:34 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, it's got a nifty little thing called Infinate Impedance, which basically means it counters the number of speakers connected to it (as much as it can). If you connect 4 drive cones to each channel, it's obviously going to have a higher load, and should like most normal amplifiers play much quieter.

However, this Infinate Impedance malarky basically counters this and means that it still produces the same volume level on each channel (although not for each drive cone if they're connected in non-matching style on a single channel).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-22-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

I had a similar setup a while ago and it will work by using a fully wired powerlink cable from the BS9000 to the passive - no need for the remote eye then. The normal powerlink cables won't work for some reason.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 06-23-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

• Ivan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2007
    • Boca Raton
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

You could also buy a regular amp with auto sense and connect it to the Aux with a Din-RCA converter.

I forgot the option that makes the 9000 output sound from the AUX.

This is a simple and cheap solution, and you'll get a much powerful amp for the same price.

www.beoflorida.com
  • 06-24-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

Ivan:

You could also buy a regular amp with auto sense and connect it to the Aux with a Din-RCA converter.

I forgot the option that makes the 9000 output sound from the AUX.

This is a simple and cheap solution, and you'll get a much powerful amp for the same price.

That's what I was just about to say, especially if you're not going to play the BS9000 through B&O speakers.

Use your BS9000 with an all B&O setup, it will look even better as well. Just my 2 cents.

Rgrds,
    Shun

• 06-24-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

Christian:

Welcome to BeoWorld! 

To use your passive speakers, you must connect the Beolink Passive to the BS9000 by a PowerLink cable. Do not connect any IR-eye. Then connect the speakers to the two spearker-out connectors on the Beolink Passive. To connect all four speakers yur must connect them in pairs or split the cable somewhere.

The Beolink Passive is a good amp., and will give you 30 W at 8 ohm. It can handle op to 4 sets of speakers, but this will limit volumen.

Hopes this helps, otherwise just ask again.

This is the correct way to use the passive. It isn't always neccessary to use the ML. As the poster stated his 4 wall speakers are probably in the same room where the 9000 stays.

So only a powerlink cable will do the job just fine. No ir-eye needed. No difficult(for the beginner..) option settings needed.

I've used this setup also to connect a BS3000 to 2 RL 60's at my brothers place. And it works really good.  

• 07-11-2007 1:47 AM In reply to

Christian (and others),

Many thanks for the advice. What I thought was a Passive turned out to be a ML/MCL Converter but it does the job just the same. Using the set up that you described has the system working perfectly.

Thanks again chaps.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)